Baby name

My husband and I have already picked out names for either a boy or girl and I was wonder what everyone thought of our pick for a girl. We have been getting a lot of criticism about it so hear goes. We like the name Frankie Marie.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
LOVE IT!!!!!!! Frankie is so cute.  I find that people criticize what is different.   Dont worry about it.  My husband and I refuse to tell anyone our names because of that exact reason.  I think Frankie is nice for a baby, small child or adult woman.  You go girl!
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much. I have been hearing so much negative opinions lately that it's really nice to get a positive one.
Helpful - 0
I'm not to fond of the name Frankie, but it's your choice.  Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
ehhh...i dont really like either...Frankie is kind of cute but i see it more as a boy name..and Marie is way to common, unless of course your using because of somebody in the family.
Helpful - 0
It's different....I like it.
Helpful - 0
I am a teacher and I see that name as NOT very popular
Helpful - 0
I am just curious as to what you mean by you see that name as not very popular. Do kids not like that name or you don't have any kids named that in you class. It doesn't make since so I am confused.
Helpful - 0
I think avas was saying that marie was common and krwayne was saying its not as common as you think. i dunno thats just how i got it.
I think you should name your child whatever you want and feel its name should be. Are you finding out the sex? I hope to find this one out in december, i too have names for both already =)
Helpful - 0
I will hopefully find out in december also. When are you due?
Helpful - 0
i sent you an im...i am due 3 days before you i think. May.17th =) wouldnt it be great to know the sex ofr a xmas present to the family???
Helpful - 0
sorry i meant after you...what am i thinking???
Helpful - 0
Thank you to everyone for your honesty
Helpful - 0
I wouldn't name a child something that is almost always used for a boy, but could be considered unisex. For example, my first name is Kim but I have heard it used as a boy's name and it just doesn't work.

If I am having a boy, I was thinking of the name Jordan. But I was at the dealership the other day, and I heard these two people talking. The dealer told the customer that someone named Jordan so and so was going to be helping him. The customer had to ask if Jordan was a boy or girl, and while it doesn't seem like a big deal, it can be a pain. Same thing with spelling a common name a really weird way.

I say go with the name you want but just remember she may be teased for having a "boys" name.
Helpful - 0
i think Frankie is cute as a nick-name, but could cause the child some problems in grade school. i'm trying to think of names it could be a nick-name for, but i'm having trouble coming up with anything other than Francesca or Francine (neither of which i am personally fond of...)
Helpful - 0
Listen, Everyone hates my daughters name but, oh well, I made her :) I can name her as I please. Dont worry about pleasing everyone (my mom hated my daughters name but I love it) Soraya Lynn.  Enjoy it and dont worry about what others say.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I love it!! we named our son Micah and I wasn't fond of it at first, but now I look at him and couldn't imagine him having another name. There were people that flat out told me they didn't like it, well you know what? They don't have to like it. Any name can be made into a name that kids can make fun of. they will find anything. If you like it, then use it! I totally love the name!
Helpful - 0
Don't worry about what other people say! I have had so many people criticize what I am naming my daughter (Aspen) because it is 1) a tree 2) colorado or 3) what is she going to have the nickname a-s-s but I figured screw them I like it and so does my boyfriend and that is all that really matters. My own sister says almost everyday that she hates my daughters soon to be name because it sounds like a snake.  
Helpful - 0
i dont think it matters what everyone else thinks. if u like the name and thats the only name that stands out to u than go for it. i have always liked strange names and when i found out i was pregnant
my family was so scared as to what i would name my baby. i did have some very strange and crazy names that i really liked and the father and i could never agree and finally we agreed on what i think is the most beautiful name ever and not common which is what i wanted and we also spelled it different too: K'dence Jizelle is gonna be our daughters name! so dont worry what anyone says just go with your instincts
Helpful - 0
Here's the rules I try to set for myself when naming a baby:

1. How does it sound when you say it with their middle name and last name?
2. Do the first letters spell out something unpleasant (such as the initials spelling out BRAT)
3. How does it look on a resume? (this is my biggie). Will a future employer want to hire my child? What does the name say about my child's personality, work ethic, etc.? (will people make false assumptions, for example, if your name is Rocky, will they assume that your child is aggressive, bold and gets into mischief?)
4. Will there ever be gender confusion because of the unisex name choice and how much is this an issue?
5. Would you personally like to be called that name yourself?
6. Will your child have any qualms about the name when he/she gets older?
7. Does the name have a negative sound or connotation when it is shortened?
8. What possible nicknames could be created/rhymed with the name?
9. How will it look on a wedding invitation?
10. Will the child constantly have to respell the name for everyone (including when booking a hotel when he/she gets older, etc.)?
11. Does it "fit" with the names of my other children or potential future children? (i.e. if your names of your other kids were Matt, Luke, Sarah--Frankie might be too much of a variance).

Anyhow, if you are confident that this name works well under these conditions, I would go for it. I would consider, though, choosing a longer name such as Francesca that your child could then opt to have when she got older. Or maybe you can take a name like Francesca and do your own twist on it (like Franceellia) and then shorten it to Frankie as a nickname.

I would not let others talk you out of a name if you are certain your daughter would love it. Unique names are great if you feel your child will totally suit the name and will be thankful you named him or her that.
Helpful - 0
So i have a Kennedy and if its another girl im gunna have a Regan. If its a boy i will prolly have a Kalieb. (or Jackson ha ha just kidding)
Helpful - 0
Yes we all got the point that she can name the baby w/e she feels or likes...but she ASKED for others opinions, so we told them...obviously she might be having some doubt if shes asking everyone else what they think.
Helpful - 0
I think it's cute, but I agree with others that it may be better as a nickname. I'm like waitingwithhope, I always think about how it will effect the baby later in life. My son's name is Maxwell Reed. I think We call him Max for short, but when he's older, I think Maxwell sounds very distinguished and will look good on a resume! :)

Name that baby whatever you want. No matter what you pick, someone will have something to say about it! lol I tell people my son's name and they say "Maxwell Smart" or "Maxwell House coffee". *roll eyes*
Helpful - 0
I think it is cute.  My dds name is WillowMae Adelaide, and before she was even born, I had family calling her Will, Willy, WM, Adelaide by those who don't like my choice of first name,  and my favorite, Wet Willy by my 7 year old nephew.  I figure, if you give a child an unusual name, give them a "normal" middle name, that way they can use that if they are uncomfortable with their first.  Or in our case, she can shorten her name to Mae.  I think it depends on if you are comfortable with her name, then she won't have any issues when she gets older.  Anyway, I think its adorable.
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.