Extremely High Blood Pressure

Had my drs appt yesterday and it was a doosie.  My blood pressure has shot up to 130/109.  How bad is that?  What could cause it.  I have been under a lot of pressure at work with it being year end and me being the accountant - or - we took in a boarder and this friggin kid is driving me nuts, he comes in at 4 am wakes the entire house, doesnt lock the doors, doesnt show up for dinner(and doesnt call either).  Could this be stress related.  I am still very careful about what I eat due to the toxemia last preg. so I don't think salt is the issue
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes maam  stress will do it!!!
Were you complaining of swollen feet? I know with pregnancy you do get it but with the combination make sure you watch yes because of toxemia.
But stress will do it too!!! My sister is an accountant and she hates this time of year too.
Helpful - 0
My legs have been swelling BIG TIME!!!  Didn't think stress would do that.  Have been crying a lot over this stinkin boarder though.  My husband doesn't know what to do with me lately!! LOL, he just rubs my belly and tells me I'm allowed to feel that way, it just makes me want to smack him. haha.  Maybe its time to give him his notice.  He is holding up a lot of baby prep stuff too, my daughter will be moving down to the bedroom he is in now so I can't do much more with the nursery until we get her down there, that's stressing me out too.
Helpful - 0
If you are preganat then you need to be in the hospital. I had 2 bouts with that with both preganacies. Bed rest, lots of fluids, no caffeine. Don't cross your legs, and sleep on left side. Also try to take a breather once in awhile. I know it sounds like alot to do. but it all helps. Best wishes.
Helpful - 0
How did the border get there?  I mean exchange program, or just for extra rent money?  Ive come to figure out in life if it means your sanity MONEY isnt worth it.  ESpecially if its stressing you out, Just give him some notice and say you need to get stuff ready for babe.  What did the doctor say about the blood pressure?  Your about 27 weeks?
Maybe they are just checking your cervix to make sure its still closed up. Your from Canada so why no think of taking your maternity leave a little early?  YOu can take it 3 months prior to delivery then you can relax and hopefully keep  the bp down
Helpful - 0
Taking mat leave early is NOT an option, still training the girl that is to take my place.  Boarder is a good friends of mines brother who needed a place to stay while he gets his apprenticeship in welding.  Your right though this really isn't worth the money at all.  This guy is 6 foot 6 and weighs about 300 pounds.  He has ripped the bannister off of the wall as you go down the basement stairs, has pushed the frame of his bed so tightly against the wall that he has gouged right into the drywall (we just paid close to $3000 to get this bedroom and the family room redone, it was a diaster when we bought the house), uses my husbands razor to shave (which grosses DH out completely, have started hiding it), the bottom has fallen out of the living room chair from him sitting on it non stop - kill,kill,kill.  And yes I am just over 27 weeks.  Baby would be viable now if something were to go wrong right?  My daughter was and I went at 25 weeks with her!  Just don't really want to have to go through all of that again.
Helpful - 0
keep that baby in, but get the boarder out. it sounds like he is tearing apart you house. get him out and see what you bp does.
Helpful - 0
Yes i would get him out,  Just say nicely you would like to get things in order for the baby and give him 2 weeks notice (or whatever) to find a new place.
Your friend knows your expecting so she/he should understand
And it is definitely not worth risking high bp  and being stressed or sick or worse
Helpful - 0
Hi Trixie,
Sorry to hear you're not well. Don't make the same mistake I did with my 2nd pregnancy and work too long. Your health and the health of your baby should be your only concern. Your employer will survive without you for a short time.

As for the boarder, give him reasonable notice. Tell your friend about your health problems, she should be able to help her brother out. She must have have a couch? LOL

You'll only be pregnant with this baby once, take care of yourself and the baby.
Helpful - 0
No kidding, the problem is she would have helped her brother out to begin with but no longer lives here.  Have talked to my bosses about shortening my work day and they seem to be fine with that.  Good news!  Still don't understand why my blood pressure has resulted in their wanting to check my cervical length though.  Any ideas?  Can high blood pressure put you into labor
Helpful - 0
Not to put your bp up more but I would say that there is a chance. Maybe thats why he checked your cervix?  Maybe you should think of taking off work and resting.
You know a friend told me It takes a workplace about 2 mins to replace you  like put your hand into boiling water and pulling it out-thats how fast they miss you when your gone.
And you know I believe it Ive worked at the same place for 13 yrs and Not one congratulations card or phone call from the boss on my last baby.
Helpful - 0
Looking into networking me from home so I can work on my laptop from the couch.  Probably end up gaining 100 pounds if they do that LOL, this place keeps me pretty busy.  Can't afford to worry about this though, probably won't help.  Have gotten a stool and put in under my desk so I can at least have my feet up while sitting.  Should help?
Helpful - 0
That blood pressure is EXTREMELY concerning to me, at least!  Especially if you have a history of toxemia in the past.

Were you given any blood tests to determine if you are developing pregnancy induced hypertension?  Were you started on a 24 hr urine collection?  Are you having headaches unrelieved by Tylenol?  Blurred vision? Facial or hand swelling?

The bottom number, the "diastolic" number, is not AS affected by stress, and should remain under 90 or thereabouts.  It's possible stress is a component, but certainly your doctor is having your BP checked very frequently, and has advised you to rest as much as humanly possible, right?  How many weeks are you?  

Hypertension should have nothing to do with your cervical length.  That is usually scrutinized if you have a history of preterm labor or preterm rupture of the membranes, or if they check you internally during an exam and feel your cervix is shortened somewhat.

Good luck to you.  Rest on your side as much as you can, and be alert for worsening symptoms such as facial or hand swelling, headaches, blurred vision, or pain in the right upper quadrant of your abdomen.
Helpful - 0
Yes she has had preterm labour, I wondered if he was checking cervix to see if she was effacing or something like that
And she has swollen feet too.
Sorry Trixie  I told on you but Im concerned!! to hell with work. Dont let them make you feel guilty you and your family should be number one.
Helpful - 0
Swollen feet aren't as concerning as swollen hands or facial swelling.

I'm rather shocked to say the least, that she wasn't taken out of work for a period of rest to see if her pressure goes down.
Helpful - 0
I was told to "take it easy" been having a LOT of braxton hicks.  My fingers are VERY swollen, can no longer get my rings on and if I do I end up taking skin off my knuckles to get them off.  I have an appt. at the clinic every morning at 7:30 to have my pressure taken at the start of the day.  Yesterday it was 130/109, this morning it was 128/103 but he has not told me to stop working.  I do have a history of preterm labor which is why I had the cerclage put in my cervix back in Feb., incompetent cervix is the problem.  No blood test ordered, no 24 hour urine collection ordered - there was protein in my urine though - I have NO idea what that means!  He did ask me about headaches, blurred vision which I have no of.  I am just over 27 weeks now.
Helpful - 0
That is a very scary blood pressure #... particularily the bottom # compounded with the swelling.

you should talk to your doc more about it. if bed rest isn't an option there is medication as a last resort, and it works- i had to take it with a previous pregnancy.

don't let this go untreated. you could have a seizure and your baby could die! this isn't something to mess around with. I'm pretty shocked that your doctor wasn't freaking out about it- particularily since you are only 27 weeks (this tends to get worse with time during pregnancy).

if it was me with a blood pressure like that I would be absolutely wigging out!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.