Extremely Low Progesterone 7wks with heartbeat

I just had my blood drawn Wednesday even though I had my 1st appt the next day(I was 6wks and 5 days) and asked to have my progesterone checked because I had quite a bit of old blood the night before and had really low progesterone with my last pregnancy (I had a level of 4 at 5wks, and went on to have a healthy pregnancy after starting prometrium 200mg tabs 1x per day). Well come to find out when I went and had the ultrasound at my 1st appt the next day the bleeding was from a subchorionic(sp?) tear and was already healing, but my progesterone levels were only 2.6! I saw the heartbeat on the ultrasound and I had a thick lining according to the tech at 6wks and 6 days. Well my doctor only put my on 100mg tabs 1x a day this time and I am farther along and my levels are lower. I didn't know this until I picked up my prescription since she e-mailed it over, so I didn't want to bug her because I love my doctor and I know she knows her stuff. But why would she put me on a lower dose? She did mention at the appointment that it might just be normal for me to have low levels of progesterone. I had 2 normal pregnancies before without ever having it checked. Has anyone had such low levels and everything turn out okay? I thought 4 was really low with my last one, but now seeing 2.6 and even later in my pregnancy has me worried! Even taking the prometrium with my last pregnancy it had only brought it up to a 9 over the course of 4-5wks. My kids are all really healthy and sorry for the lengthy post just wanted to give the whole story!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just call your doctor and tell her you are really concerned, and that even if you are a person who can have healthy pregnancies with low progesterone levels, you had a larger dose last pregnancy and it would give you a lot of peace of mind if she were to prescribe a bigger dose with this pregnancy.  If she won't, there is no law against you taking one in the morning and one at night, it's not like it is going to harm you or the pregnancy, and then you would just go to get refills more often.  If the doc gets word from the pharmacy that you are going through your progesterone faster than expected, she will remember your conversation and concerns, and will understand why you did it.
Helpful - 0
Ashley:  How are things going?  I am in my 8th week, I was diagnosed with low progesterone (3.7) 2 weeks ago and I also have a suubchrionic bleed.  I would love to hear how you are doing
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.