Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Gestational Diabetes

My sister has been told she is borderline gestational diabetes. Has anyone had to go on the diet for it? She is going to do it since she hasn't been feeling well and is in hopes that changing her diet will help.Any info on nutrition would be appreciated! Thanks!
Unfortunately i dont have any breaking news for you but wen i read your post I was so overwhelmed at how supportive you seem towards your sister and trying to help her out with this.  I hope all goes well for her and no doubt wen this bubba arrives she will have one hell of a fantastic aunty!
Best wishes,

Trudy
hi ya i had gestational diabetes when i was pregnant with my last 2 kids and got it from about 6-7 months i was borderline and was told to change my diet and yes it did help so much i didnt feel fantastic as i was heavly pregnant but i noticed the difference so i think your sister should try to change her diet try not to eat any sugary things but have they warned your sister that having gestational diabetes in pregnancy gives her a higer risk of getting it later in life as i had it with my 2 last kids youngest being 3 1/2 years old i now have type 2 diabetes and am on tablets everyday so get her to read more information on this or speak to her doctor good luck in the pregnancy and hope changing her diet helps
p.s how far into the pregnancy is she as you dont normally develope gestational diabetes till late stages of it  if she is in earlie pregnancy then i would say she had the problem start before but has not shown up unitll now with all the blood test etc
I HAVE A QUICK ?.  I AM 31 WEEKS AND I HAVE HAD MY TEST FOR G-DIABETES.  CAME BACK FINE.  I HAVE ONLY GAINED 5LBS SO MY DOC WAS NOT WORRIED AT ALL ABOUT ME HAVING IT.  HOWEVER I AM A BIG GIRL TO BEGIN WITH.  I HAVE ON SWEET A DAY AND A GLASS OR TWO OF DECAF SWEET TEA.  ALL IN THE EVENING.  I DRINK BETWEEN 80-100oz OF WATER A DAY.  BUT LAST NIGHT I WAS SOOOOO THIRSTY.  I DRANK ALMOST THREE GLASSES OF TEA AND A HALF A GLASS OF WATER AFTER MY 100oz OF WATER DURING THE DAY.  THEN GOT UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND HAD TO HAVE A GLASS OF WATER.  I AM WORRIED WHY I WOULD BE SO THIRSTY.  THIS MORNING I FEEL PRETTY GOOD....BABY HASN'T MOVED WHICH IS ABNORMAL BUT I AM SURE SHE WILL SHORTLY.  ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA.  I AM SUCH A WORRY WART.
I know that being thirsty is a sign of diabetes, but if your test came back ok, then you're probably fine. did you eat anything particularly salty last night? mexican food, fried food, anything like that? i would just take note of when/how often it happens and tell your Dr. at your next appt. You're going every 2 weeks at this point, aren't you?
YEP....GOING NEXT FRIDAY.   NOT THIRSTY TODAY BUT WE'LL SEE HOW IT GOES TONIGHT......I HAVE TO DO FIVE MASSAGES BACK TO BACK TODAY SO IT MIGHT BE THE SAME TONIGHT BUT WITH REASON!  thanks!
I had "mild glucose intolerance" with DD and I was told to change my diet. Sugar is my weakness so I wasn't surprised that I was told to change my diet. Plus, I put on far too much weight. Wishing your sis the best of luck for a healthy pregnancy.
Thanks! I don't know if her doc told her she's at risk later on life, I'll check with her. She's 26 weeks and she got tested last week because she keeps having heart flutters which makes it hard for her to catch her breath-they were trying to rule out if it's sugar or not. Plus she just feels bad after she eats. Since she's borderline, she has an appointment with a cardioligist, but not until the end of June. So, she's going to change her diet to see if that helps.

Thanks Trudy!! She and I are very close and I can't wait until she has the baby! She's an awesome aunt my little girl!
I had gestational diabetes with my daughter I just managed to control it by diet but it was extremely hard esp when all I felt like was chocolate but couldnt have it I had to get induced 2 weeks early which ended in c section and had a healthy 8lb 9oz girl.
I'm pregnant again but not sure if I have the diabetes again I may have to be on insulin this time if I get it. Its a bit of a pain pricking yourself all the time but its worth a healthy baby in the end.
hi ya again to toyml99 you could be thirsty because your pregnant body needs more with all the hormones etc but you state your a big girl dont want to be rude and ask you how big but if you are say borderline for overweight and very obese then you have a greater risk of having diabetes anyway  but combining the overwieght risk and the gestational diabetes together you have a seriously higher risk than anybody else of getting TYPE 2 diabetes later in life as thats what happend to me i was a big girl too and 2 pregnancies with gestational diabetes and was border line going into obese and have only recently started to loose weight (1 cause of the diabetes but 2 because i am dieting and exercising)but if you can reduce your weight after the pregnancy and keep to a fairly heathly diet then you reduce your risk slightly ( if your family have a history of diabetes in it then thats a even greater risk) but try to get some more information on this matter hope this helps
yes of course but i did state that you do have a greater chance not that you will have a bigger baby i had gestational diabetes with my son born 9lb 3oz and then i had it with my girl and she weighed in 7lb 3oz but my diabetes was not as bad with her as my son i am just trying to tell people get all the information you can from dr's etc before judging anyone else's answers we all can write anything on here but they trust us to be right or as right as we can thats why they write on here
hi ya again i dont think diabetes will make you have heart flutters your heart is normal size when your not pregnant as it only needs to pump the blood around your body but when your pregnant your body has to procduce more blood for you and your baby so it then grows bigger to help pump the extra blood around your body then goes back to normal size after birth as there is only your body to pump it around again but sometimes your bloody is pumping so much blood around that sometimes pregnant women say they have noticed some flutterings some women have a couple here and there but then some complain that they have it on a daily basis and and alot throughout the day but its all the extra blood thats going around (and your hormones) that makes this happen now im not saying that this is the case with your sister as there could be another reason but dont worry to much as this is the main reason with most pregnancies i did have it during the last couple of months with my pregnancies but after they where born everything was fine again hope everything goes ok with you's
just a quick message to those with gestational diabetes on this page REALLY DONT WANT TO SCARE YOU'S but have your doctors warned you that if you have gestational diabetes then you have a great chance of giving birth to a bigger baby ange800 you said you had gestational diabetes and you gave birth to a 8lb 9oz baby that slightly higher than the average baby weighs
the diabetes is a problem with sugar control what you eat goes to your baby anyway so when your body is producing glucose it is going to waste as your body is having trouble using insulin(the reason causing you to have diabetes)so it's going to your baby but the baby is already producing it's own insulin so it's having double the insulin(glucose)it's like feeding on sugar it's gonna make the baby in other words get fat making him or her alot bigger in weight and size so make sure you have all your check up's etc and take any diet or medication etc that the doctors give you also if you have diabetes with all the extra glucose the baby's getting he or she will have to be tested when born to make sure they can control their insulin as having so many months on double insulin then being born and only having their own insulin to use sometimes it makes them  have lower sugar levels for a few hours after birth but normally will sort it self out within that time but just to let you know really i had gestational daibetes with my son at 6 months (3 child)he was the heavyist out them and he weigh 9lb 3oz and he was born early if he would have been born at his normal time then he would have been about a pound heavier
I had gestational diabetes with first (not then with second!) and just want to comment that it is not necessarily true that you will have a bigger baby. I went on a special diet (not just avoiding "sugar" and "candy" but a rather complicated carbohydrate management, where you always eat a complex one with protein source, never eat simple grains etc.)  Simple grains, like even breakfast cereal with no added sugar, turn into "blood sugar" immediately and will spike you.  

Anyway, they u/s me 3x in the last month or so and pronounced 2 days before the poor fellow was born that he weighed over 11 lbs. NOT!!!! The boy weighed 6 lbs 13 oz, hello, and of course you don't get a discount on your u/s bill because they're off by 100%!  Anyway, imagine the panic being told that as a first time about to be mother--I couldn't imagine getting him out!  So, it is good to remember--if you follow the clinical diet (and again, it is NOT just avoiding pop and sweets), you can have a perfectly normal-range baby.  Good luck!  (it is hard though to give it up...)
Hi your right with the size of the baby as soon as I told people I had gestational diabetes they said oh big baby. I was told my baby was about 7lb in a scan and went to have an 8lb 9oz baby which I thought was quite big considering my diabetes wasnt that bad my daughters sugar was slightly low but only needed some formula to get it back to normal. I'm just an average size person and had a girl in hospital with me who was skinny as with the gestational diabetes and had to have insulin it depends if its in your family which type 1 and 2 is in mine. Good luck with anyone who gets the diabetes as long as your under a specialist you should be fine its just a pain in the butt but worth it in the end im still to be tested this time around im nearly 13 weeks preg fingers crossed I dont have it this time but if I do I know what im in for. Cya
ange800 it dont normally develope untill last few months of pregnancy so lets hope everything goes ok with your pregnancy and every one elses good luck
Oh thanks bubble I didnt realise that I got it at 25 weeks last time I can handle that was thinking if I get it again it would be straight away take care bye.