Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Gestational diabetes

Okay so I have just been told that I have GD and I have to see a dietation on Monday, but I am so confused as what to eat until Monday. Everything I have read said to eat few carbs in the morning and eat them throughout the rest of the day. But I went to my doctors yesterday and they gave me a sheet (from 1993 might I add) that tells me to eat carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It also says that cheese falls under the meat catogery not dairy. Example breakfast is 2 starchs, 1 fat, 1 fruit, and 1 milk. Which comes out to be 1 bagel, 1 tsp butter, 1 peach and a yogurt all which seem to have a high carb and sugar content. I am not sure what to do or what is right to eat until Monday, could someone please give me an example of what they had to eat? My doctor said that I need 2000 calories a day. Thank you Ladies!!!!!
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it until Monday.  In the grand scheme of things, a few days won't hurt much.  The dietician should be able to give you some really good ideas/education on GD and what to eat.
Thank you so much! It is so scary to know that from this point on whatever i put in my mouth does not only affect me but my baby, I want to do everything right!
I had GD for my first pregnancy and it was very hard.  For snacks you can eat cheese, peanuts are a good snack--lots of protein, try to stay away from fast foods---I sometimes would go to Mcdonalds and get their chicken breast-toss the bun and a cream of broccoli soup. It is the refined sugars you have to watch out for.  Just because it is sugar free does not make it a god choice--learned from experience.  I followed a diabetic carb book which helped a lot--eat eggs, meats, fresh fruit--the dietatician will tell you not to have fruit in the morning--but I did--I would have a cup of blueberries with my yogurt and grape nuts--very satisfying breakfast that last a long time.  I did not go to the dietatician--I thought I could do it on my own.  And I did--I was very strict not to eat to much white breads, no candy or dessert.  It was a long pregnancy but worth it with having a healthy baby--just watch out after pregnancy when you can eat carbs agaian--do not overdo it--I did for it was Christmas when I had my baby--Carb rush--makes you sick.  Have a healthy pregnancy.--You will have to buy a diabetic blood testing system--it really does work to help you out---
Thank you for that. Like I said the sheet i got from my doctor says to eat starch at every meal along with my snacks. I just want to make sure I do everything right, for my baby
Hello. I am diabetic (all the time not just through pregnancy). The reason cheese is under meat and not dairy is because it is more of a protein source. So cheese is definately good for you at this time. You want to eat alot of protein and balance it with carbs and fiber. But remember, you get carbs from MILK, YOGURT, FRUIT and VEGGIES. These are all sources of GOOD CARBS and have lots of fiber. Fiber helps the processing of the carbs slow down. This way the carbs wont have as much impact on your blood sugars.  

My dietician has me have 15 g of carbs per meal. But to make sure I have plenty of protein and fiber to go along with it.

Check out info on the SOUTH BEACH DIET. Great way to manage blood sugar levels. It is not a DIET to loose weight (unless you want it to be).

I hope this doesnt sound confusing. Your dietician will give you so much more info when you see them.

Good Luck
Sorry, I have another thing to add. If you are put on Insulin, then you will need to eat a starch at everymeal and half starch at snack time. This will help you from having low blood sugar. But there is a difference between GOOD CARBS AND BAD CARBS. Stay away from refined sugar and white flour and white rice. White flour and rice have an impact on your blood sugars as regular table sugar does.
when they first told me that i had gd i thought i couldn't eat anything but you learn that you can eat a little of a lot of things.  but chinese food always made me spike.  it hard at first but it will get easier.