High-risk for down syndrome?

I had the blood test done last week to test for genetic issues. I am 27 years old and 19 weeks today. My doctor called and said I was screened high-risk for down syndrome. She told me the risk were 1/182 but that it did not mean my baby would have downs. I was already scheduled for my 20-22wk ultrasound in a week. Will that tell me anything more b/c I do not want to risk having an amnio done?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My risk was 1/89 and when I had my u/s they changed it to 1/400,1 in182 is less than a .5% chance of having a baby with downs so I would not worry about it much.  That is really good odds, best of luck
Helpful - 0
Please don't worry, those blood tests have wrong positive results. Probably  they will see in ultrasound if there is something wrong. there are some signs that shows down syndrome. But amniosynthesis is the best to be sure. It is not as scary as you think. Also the risk at the amnio is very low. good luck! Best wishes
Helpful - 0
My scan came back with a 1 in 24 risk of spina bifida.....and my son was NOT born with Spina Bifida. Good Luck! I hope everything works out.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.