How do you know if you are leaking amniotic fluid slowly?

Last night a couple of times when I woke up my shorts were wet. It was not discharge and it wasn't sweat. Could it be amniotic fluid or could I be leaking urine in my sleep??  I hate to call the doctor because I call all the time!! Please help!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Actually I had that last month remember and I waited before calling the doctor and he got mad at me.  I did not panic because I had the doppler and knew the baby was ok.  So do call - just to help you relax I am sure you are fine.

I went in and had lots of clear discharge - he even said I shoudl have been concerned that I was not nuts but that it was not the fluid.  They check it right there and tell you withing seconds.

Now to the more gross part.  We are both the same amount along and this week has been really heavy on the fluids.  This morning especially.  And it does say in the book that you get an increase in discharge in the third trimester so I am sure that is what it is but still call your doctor.
Helpful - 0
I remember that you had to go in. I really don't want to call because I went in last week for the swelling-I feel like I call all the time. I have been fine today, no leaking. Do you still think I should call??
Helpful - 0
I've kinda been having a lot for some time now.  Sometimes I change my panty liner 3 times in one day.  Sorry tmi, I know.
If your worried, I'd say call your dr.  That's what we pay them for :-)
Helpful - 0
I have been reading and it says if it smells like ammonia then it is probably urine leakage. It did smell  like ammonia, so I guess I am now leaking urine! YEAH!! :)  
Helpful - 0
Don't you wish sometime you married a doctor... lol.

I know with Marcus I had no problems... then my second was a miscarriage at 11 weeks and now this one is totally different.

I've been bleeding almost weekly since 11 weeks, had my first ever UTI, my cervical mucus is an odd colour (don't ask.. nurse said some women have a green tinge... ya right, do you?) I've had constant tightening, or the feeling that I have an extremely hard shelled belly. Last night my lower back hurt so much I could barely walk or get off the couch. Going to the chiropractor helped a little but it took a while for it to feel better. Today I'm fine. Oh, and I've already started dropping.

The wonders of being with child...
Thank God for this website that we can share our stories with.
Helpful - 0
hello again !yeah it sounds like urine , i did leak fluid from about 34 weeks untill the water broke at 38 weeks . the only way to tell is as you say urine smells amonia fluids is sweet. good luck x x
Helpful - 0
I don't know how far along you are, but my fluid leaked with both full term babies.

I could feel it leaking, and it was just like water in my panties.  It was a very slow leak.  The u/s showed a normal amount of fluid. It happened with my daughter at 39 weeks.  I went to the dr., he ran a slide, verified it was amniotic fluid...and I was sent immediately to the hospital for induction.  Baby was born 12 hours later.

Same thing with my son.  I was 38 weeks, water was leaking, called the dr....he ran a slide, he actually had to do it twice, becuase it came out neg the first time.  I insisted it was fluid, so he ran another slide.  Sure enough, it was.  Sent immediately to the hospital for induction.  Had my son 10 hours later.

Who gives a who who if your dr. gets irritated.  He is getting paid enough from your pregnancy to purchase a ski boat.  If your water is leaking, it introduces a high chance of infection to the fetus.  Quit screwing around if you think this is fluid...Call the dr.
Helpful - 0
CYW
okay guys i want someone to try this and tell me if it works. apparently i havent been there yet so id like to know if it works. You put a pad on and obviously if it is amniotic liquid the pad has a blue shade in it.. Or so I have hear i dont know if it works try it hehe
Helpful - 0
I think it is just urine because it smells like ammonia. I have never had urine that smelled like ammonia before but it sure is interesting what pregnancy does to you!  Now I have old lady ankles, leaking urine, can't sleep, can't breathe, horrible acid reflux and the skin of a teenager except that when I was a teenager my skin was great! I know it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck to you. I forget how far along you are now?? I will be 30 weeks on Friday! :)
Helpful - 0
Thanks for all the good advice as usual! :)
Helpful - 0
I am like newbie - I change about three times a day and just this morning while brushing my teeth I went to spit and that little pressure made me pee a little.  Nice huh?  soon I am going to just wear diapers.

I do know that the fluid will smell sweet.  and he had asked if it was enough that it would run down my leg.

Don't ever feel bad about calling them.  I call at least once a week.  They are used to it.
Helpful - 0
I always feel like I call all the time!  I figure they are on the other end going "oh no, not her again"! LOL :)
Helpful - 0
I am 30 weeks today. I'm like you but don't have the acid reflux or the teenage skin. Well I did just notice my first pimple on my nose yesturday. :)

Soon we will have our bodies back but I don't think our lack of sleep will change for a while.  Not to mention that I won't have an excuse to go to Wendy's anymore. I'm enjoying my Chicken BLT salad right now...
Helpful - 0
They get on the phone with me and I am like HI its Kim.  And they are like Hi how are you - whats going on Kim.

hahaha... They know me well because I was hospitalized for those 9 days and they had to see me in rotation and they all loved me and felt bad for me so they are really nice now.
Helpful - 0
I don't think it has a blue-ish tinge.  My waters broke shortly before both my labours.  I had to wear pads on the way to the hospital and it was clear.  Did have a faint sweet smell.
Helpful - 0
CYW
okay so it's a myth hehe thanks for clearing that up-i wonder why people say that...*wonders* lol
Helpful - 0
Never feel ashamed about calling your doctor--that is what they are there for--your baby should always come first.  Do whatever your gut is telling you and if something is happening to cause you to question, then call your doctor.
Helpful - 0
What turns blue is Litmus paper (PH paper) when it coems into contact with amniotic fluids. that's probably what you heard.
Helpful - 0
I am 37 weeks and have had contractions since friday...on and off...i thought i was leaking fluids went in on saturday and they did the test both with ph paper and a slide...neg! gaaa....I am still leaking some sort of clear fluid but apparently it's not amniotic fluid...probably cervical discharge. I have my next prenatal appointment on Thursday so I am just going to suck it up until then I guess. It's so embarassing being told you are def not in labour when you go to the hosp...I felt like a burden...like i wasted the nurses time...the doctor was awesome though made me feel much better.
Helpful - 0
how can you tell the differance between amniotic fluid and urine is there a color, smell? any advice would help
Helpful - 0
doe anyone use this site? i noticed that the dates are older
Helpful - 0
urine has an ammonia smell to it and amniotic fluid has a sweet smell.
Helpful - 0
I am 27 weeks and have been in -n- out of the hospital since I was 23 weeks due to preterm contractions. Well the last time I was in the hospital that doc gave me procardia and I am still having contractions, lower back pain, lots of pressure in the pelvic area, and now I feel like pee every time I stand up. Is it possible that I am already leaking amniotic fluid? The baby has been very very active. By that I mean she moves all the time I might get 30 minutes in between swims were she doesn't move could that mean anything?
Helpful - 0
this happened to me when i was around 37 weeks pregnant, turns out it was a bad case of thrush causing extreme watery discharge!! Sorry to be gross but it was simple to clear up
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.