I have no idea how to feed my child properly.

I have no idea if I'm feeding my baby properly. I've asked his doctor and have gotten very vague answers. Maybe I'm not being assertive enough with it, because honestly I feel foolish. He is 11 months old and very large for his age. He's in the 90th percentiles on both weight and height. He eats 2 or 3 10 ounce bottles a day, 2 (4oz) bottles of baby juice, and 2 jars of stage 2 solid foods a day. I keep reading about babies his age being able to feed themselves and I'm not sure what they mean. He obviously can't use a spoon, and he would choke on a cheerio. I've given him teething biscuits and he usually ends up choking on the soggy piece that detaches from the rest of the cookie first. What am I doing wrong here? I can't imagine him being able to eat cake on his first birthday and that's only a month away now. What are the guidelines for feeding a child his age? The doctor did tell me he was growing very well, and that is apparent. Please help, I need to have pictures of him eating cake on his first birthday!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
http://www.superbabyfood.com

I don't know what I would have done without my "Super Baby Food" book!  This book is fantastic and provides everything you need to know about what, when, how much, etc. to feed your baby from starting solids to the toddler years. It also includes great recipes, preparation instructions and lots of tips too. A definite must book for every family with babies and toddlers!  
Helpful - 0
I ditto kellym's post.
My DD did not eat baby food in a jar past 9 mos.
She was eating regular table food no later than 10 mos.  Along with the Gerber Graduates chunky food.   They have pasta and dried fruit bites, cheerios...always!
Every baby is different though.

My baby had a full set of teeth by 10 mos though....so she was pretty advanced in the eating area.

I have a friend at work who's son is over 1 yr and stillhas a gag reflex.  Hard for him to eat anything past baby food.

Don't worry, your child seems to be thriving.  
Helpful - 0
At this stage my daughter was eating green beans, cheese, cheerios, carrots (canned) peas.. lots of foods that will be chewed or gummed by baby. I also bought the gerber fruits in the jars in the baby isle. They were like poached so that they were soft. Apples were a favorite.  They are much softer than cutting up a regular apple. I agree, start slow. Use the PUFFS or other dissolvable first gerber foods. Every baby is different. Doesn't your baby show interest in eating what you are eating? I shouldn't say by now  your child should be on finger foods because I've heard all they need the first year is breast milk or formula. Just slowly get him acquainted, he will love them! Be patient, you are not doing anything wrong, he sounds like he is doing very well!
Helpful - 0
Just curious, why did you skip baby food?
Helpful - 0
Don't worry, sweetie! Every little baby is different. It is normal to worry baby will choke on first foods. You can try Gerber Stars. They are little bite-size crackers that dissolve in baby's mouth. Let him get used to them for a week or two. Once he is able to eat those, move onto other easy-to-chew foods like crackers (graham are really good, especially Honey Bees because they are bite-sized), soft fruits cut up small, and bite-size noodles. Also, upgrade to Stage 3! That has more chunky stuff in it to get him used to chewing.

What they mean by self-feed is that baby can pick up finger foods himself (has nothing to do with utensils!). Kids don't get used to using spoons and forks until closer to 18-24 months.

My DD is 10 months old and is just getting used to eating regular table food (I skipped baby food, myself, as a personal choice). Like I said, every baby is different! He'll be able to play in his cake because most of the kids just eat the frosting! LOL!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.