IS it ok for my baby to sleep in the car seat?

My son is 7 weeks old and for the past 2 weeks, he will not sleep in the crib or bassinet.. I have tried and he wakes up crying and cries for hours, which breaks my heart.. He will sleep in his bassinet during the day only.. but he loves sleeping in his car seat... not buckeled up or anything but i mean he will sleep for 2 plus hours... is it bad for him to sleep in there at night? i put the seat in the crib sometimes.. but as long as he is in his seat he will sleep..  Just wondering peoples opinions and if this is normal?????????????
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi, I have heard it is not good for their backs, they should sleep on something firm, I had sort of the same problem, my girls developed a cold, and I was scared to lie them down flat so I hd them sleep in their car seats for 5 days, now they are having an awful time adjusting back to the crib, I have to swaddle them, I think their car seats encase them and make them feel secure, now I just started to reswaddle them, and while there not sleeping as well, they are doing a little better. good luck to you
Helpful - 0
I really don't think it's terrible for your son to sleep in his carseat sometimes. Babies bones are mostly cartilage at this stage and their muscles are not yet tight and strong.  They do not get "stiff joints" like we adults do.

If you are really concerned there are a few things that you may want to try... I think that what babyprayers suggested might be helpful. Babies often like being swaddled. Try swaddling him in a thin blanket or a cloth diaper. Gently cross his arms in front and wrap him up snug.

Some moms choose to co-sleep with their babies. This has always worked for me though not all moms feel comfortable with it. During the day I often "wear" my babies in some kind of baby-carrier. Newborns seem to love the wrap type where you actually tie it on and then put the baby in... my babies often slept for hours like that. I think that babies miss the closeness they had with their mom when they were in the womb... he heard your heartbeat and your voice and felt your body moving... baby-wearing can really help to calm babies down. Sometimes you can get the baby to sleep in the carrier and then transfer them to their crib/bed or whatever.

Best of luck!
Helpful - 0
my doctor told me it was perfectly fine, however I just read a new study in baby magazine that it is now a sids risk.  I would talk to your doctor and see what she thinks of it.  Personally I did it with my son and have no idea what I would have done if I had to strictly use the crib or bassinett.
Helpful - 0
my son liked to sleep in the carseat when he was that young also and if he fell asleep in the car we would bring him in and let him sleep in it til he woke up on his own, but we didnt really do it at night much. like kjbutcher said - i remember someone coming on here recently with a new study that it is a sids risk, but i would talk to your dr about it at his next checkup. swaddling is a good idea and maybe even a sleep positioner which someone mimics the closeness of the carseat around his body. good luck.
Helpful - 0
Both of my kids loved to sleep in their carseat. They both had colic and that was the only way to get them to sleep. With my youngest I did the same as the other post swaddled him and put pillows beside him so he would sleep.
Helpful - 0
Have you tried moving him after he is asleep?  When I was switching my son to the crib, I would let him fall asleep in the bouncy seat and then move him to the crib.  
Helpful - 0
My boys were both colicky and both had gagging /chocking episodes after RSV and all that good stuff.  I was told by our ped to have them sleep in the carseat to help the breathing, and Cam was a spitter.  You do need to make sure they have a clear airway path, and if they are really tiny, they may be breathing in recycled air.  My boys were both bigger and the ped had seen them in their seats, so he was fine with it.  I did whatever I could to get them to sleep though.  Good luck, it's tough.
Helpful - 0
When my 15 yo was 7 weeks we went on a trip and I realized he slept better in car seat  - so we got home and I tried it - he slept through the night - once his neck was stronger I put him back in his crib - at the time no one really said it was a SIDS risk blah blah blah - doc suggested it had to do with his breathing better sitting up - so that is what I did
would i do it today?  I don;t know
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.