Question about 5 month old

Ryan is almost 6months old.  He now bears some weight on his legs, but he still can't bear any weight on his arms - when do they do this.  He puts his butt in the air when on his belly.  He now raises his hear when in the bouncey.

He still eats at night.  He eats about three times - only 2-3oz at a time.  I am so so lazy that I feed him in the bed and don't burp him - i think maybe this could be the cause of him not sleeping soundly.  What do you think?  Should i just get up in the chair and feed him 5oz to hold him over?  He is just not a sound sleeper.  I just started a little baby food - he doesn't like it to much so I stopped but realize I need to give it to him when he turns 6months old.  Right?  he is such a burger :-)
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
ll
Helpful - 0
Kris, if you have a boppy it will work great for tummy time too! Max loves his!
Helpful - 0
Eva will be 7 months on the 10th.  We just spend another night in the hospital.  I got called home yesterday from work with another episode.  They say she is having seizures they just do not know why.  Developmentally she is fine and by the time we get to the hospital she is fine.  Now that this has happened 3 times they are starting to do a Rule Out method.  I had already made appointments on my own with a neurologist but now St. Christophers is adding on to that.  They say it is not a life or death issue just a scary thing we must go through.  I am a mess as is my mother who babysits her.  We all learned CPR but it just does not work when it is your own child.  

Meanwhile while I was in the hospital with her I made sure I had all my own blankets and sheets - last time she developed a staff infection.  She started to crawl reach in the crib.  Almost crawl because she wanted something but pretty much just stretched her arm out all the way.  The doctors love her there.  They hate to see us back :(

Please keep her in your prayers.  I will know more monday.
Helpful - 0
I meant chest
Helpful - 0
When I took him to the dr. three week ago I put Ryan on his belly and showed him just how he did.  Dr said he was fine, so my mind eased a little.  I guess I listen to everyone around me saying it is ok.  it is my fault.  I put him on his belly for a total of about 30min last night.  Some on me, floor, with a rolled up blanket under his check.  Ped says he is fine.  I am not concerned with anything else then his arm strength.  He bears weight in his legs fine and almost rolls.  He put his butt in the air and drawels his legs in when on belly.  When I get home this evening he is getting tummy time :-)

He does like the rolled up towel
Helpful - 0
I know, but they were not happy being on their backs for long! It made for no sleep for me worrying about them flipping onto their belly almost as soon as they were laid on their backs! Belly to back always frustrated me for them, they would whack their little heads. And diaper time was always fun with the younger two.
Helpful - 0
Back to Belly at 3 weeks?? Wow. Belly to back is usually easier.
Helpful - 0
Also try putting a rolled up towel under his arms when he is on his tummy..he may like this alot more...they sell a tummy time mat at Target that has this feature its really nice..mabye buy that.

I got all these tips from my sons old OT
Helpful - 0
Kris one thing you can do to make up for the fact he isnt  getting much tummy time is hold him like he is an airplane flying...this will also help develop those muscles..also try tummy time on your belly..have him lay down on you, tummy down and talk and sing to him as he looks at you that will also help him develop those muscles....you have been concerned about him for some time now...not to be mean but how long do you want to wait before you get him evaluated? What does your ped say? He should be able to do more than what you are describing.
Helpful - 0
BTW yes Ryan reflux is still bad and we had to up his med.  So I got up last night and feed him and had him up for 20min.  He ate twice and sleep three and a half hours in between
Helpful - 0
When Ryan is on his belly he will roll to his side but has yet to roll all the way.  My sis likes to set him in his bouncey a lot i got on her the other day and she has gotten so much better these past few weeks.  Ryan has very strong legs also.  When on his belly he lifts his butt in the air and his legs come up under them - like he is trying to crawel.  back when I had my daughter, they said to put your baby to sleep on their belly so there was no tummy time.  I try so hard to get him to roll all the way over.  He did it once, when no one was around but me.  Ryan doesn't really talk yet but makes lots of noices.  My dad always says dadada to him, I mean all the time.  He will be calling his grandfather Da :-)  My mom mostly tells him he is her little buddy - but I don't think he will say that :-)  I do da ma ect ...  He likes to spit a lot on purpose.  When will you baby be 7months?  Ryan will be 6months on Dec 19th - i think i said that already.  On the postive note - I have lost 47pounds so far - another two since last week :-)  6 more pounds to go
Helpful - 0
Does he roll over?  I am guilty - Eva is almost 7 months and I did not do much tummy time.  I tried and failed.  I just could not bare to see her stuggle.  She rolls over and she does well on her tummy now.  She tries to crawl but she goes backwards.  :)  She just wants to always be walking now. She graps your hand and tries to jump off your lap like she knows what she is doing.  Everytime she is on her belly she will just roll over.  Her legs are very strong but her arms are not as strong unless she is holding something she should not have like the remote control then forget it - you cant get it from her.

How is your son doing with talking? My daughter has always talked - she said ma right at birth that was how she would cry.  maaaaaa like a sheep.  But she did not start to associate me with it until about a month ago.  She said dada for the first time about two months ago and then did not say it again until last week and now it is more frequent but she does not associate it with her dad yet.  Her favorite word is Yeah!  Not even proper english YEAH.  She also said pop a few times but that is because my dad must say it to her a billion times a day.  i had thought she was behind with the talking but her doctor said she is right on target.  She tends to whine more now and it drives me nuts. She does not cry just whine - the doctor said it is prob her teeth but I hate not knowing.  Let me know how you make out with the tummy time.  
Helpful - 0
Ok I am convinced that I have done something bad because I should have given him more tummy time.  I put him on the floor under a nice blanket last night for 5min and then took the blanket from under him for 5min.  I am going to do the same when I get home and before we go to bed.  I am going to get up and feed him and then put him upright for about 20min.  He does sleep better when I do this.  My sis lets him stay in the bouncey a lot I will call and get her to put him on the bed and mom can do tummy time with him.  She has a twin hosptial bed and it is really firm.  We lie him long ways and she sits beside him.  She loves to watch him because it gives her something to do - she is in a wheel chair.  before to long she won't be able to hold him.  So I will set up tummy time in the morning before I leave to go to work, some during the day with Angie, and when I get home.  He will be 6months old on Dec 19 and can bear no weight in his arms at all.  He does hold up his head nicely as well as his chest.
Helpful - 0
tmv
I agree with the rest. Get down on the floor with him. Look him right in the eyes. Sing, play,talk to him, rattle toys. But, being down there with him will help him get used to it.
Helpful - 0
There's too many posts to read through, but if he's got reflux, you HAVE to burp him!!!! As an adult with reflux, I know that eating and then laying on my back feels terrible! I would advise that you feed him as much as he wants (offer more than 3 oz....he should be the one to determine when he is finished. He shouldn't be done just becuase the bottle is empty), keep him up 20 minutes after than trying to get a burp and then lay him down on his back to sleep. I actually lay Max on his side for awhile if he has a night feeding, then I'll flip him to his back. Yes, staying up 20 minutes after a feeding in the middle of the night really sucks...but in the long run it will be worth it. Babies also confuse pain and hunger. If he's getting up to only eat a few ounces in the middle of the night to only eat a few ounces, it could be because his belly hurts from not being burped and he's confusing it with being hungry!!!

As for tummy time, I echo what others have said. Start out with small amounts of time, many times a day and gradually increase it. Get on the floor with him and talk and sing. I don't know when kids usually put weight on their arms, but Max has been doing it since 2 months.
Helpful - 0
Sounds to me like he's used to waking up.  I had issues with Cam not sleeping through the night, still pretty new to it at almost 8 months old.  His acid reflux was really out of control a few weeks back, and it does cause him to wake more, he's such a chunk though he scarfs down 8 or 10 oz. like nothing, but when his reflux is bad he still ate like a pro.  Has the Dr. been changing the dosings on his meds?  Could be that or could be his internal clock is used to getting up and he enjoys the snuggle, or teeth...hard to say.  Cam got better when we did solids, you can start between 4 and 6 months old.  I would keep an eye on his arms though.  Around 6 months old he should definitely be able to push up on his arms by now.  Keep up the tummy time, I know Cam in on the floor most of the time, has his exersaucer too, he's too heavy for his bouncy chair now, but hates to sit still anyway.  It'll come, but mention it to the Dr. and see what they say.
Helpful - 0
Rolling over is more of a curse than a blessing at times!! But then again so is crawling and walking ; -)
Helpful - 0
You are doing everything right, she will roll over in the next months I'll bet, keep putting those toys and yourself just out of reach, one day she will amaze herself by rolling over!!
Helpful - 0
dd is 4 1/2 months and does tummy time pretty well. in the beginning she would justlay either face down or with her face to the side. she loved being on her tummy so she made no effort to lift herself. so i started to put a pillow under her and she immediately started to lift her head and look around. or, i would put her on the couch with separate cushions since the mound it made very slightly lifted her front. a few days like that and she was able to lift her head while on the floor too.

she has always been happy being either on her back or tummy, so she hasn't rolled in either direction. i try to encourage her by placing toys out of reach and rolling her myself, but she still doesn't seem to care. i know she has strong abdominal muscles because she likes to do sit ups when i try to recline her to feed her. also if i lay her on a pillow on the bed on her back she can literally do a sit up and will end up flipping forward and doing a face plant. i know rolling is a milestone around now, but the doctor didn't seem too concerned. any advice on how to get my happy little blob to roll over???
Helpful - 0
I usually started with a few minutes at a time several times a day. It quickly picked up to 5-10 minutes several times a day. He is old enough that goofy games like peek-a-boo may be a big hit with him. We play "where'd the baby go?" and even at a year he does it when he nurses. He will take his arm and cover his eyes so I will say it, once i do he pulls his arm back and giggles, dribbling breast milk all over!!

Helpful - 0
Tummy time on your chest does count!! It will also be a good incentive for you baby to lift his head and look sragiht into your eyes. My older sons phycisal therapist suggested I put the baby on the couch, sit on the floor holding a hand on his bottom and talk to him. He loved it, but he hated bieng on the floor until he was a bit stronger and could push himself up on his arms.
Tummy time is so so important, so many people don't do it and babies spend alot of time being in bouncers, swings, jumperoos or propped into sitting positions, when they should be down on the floor on thier tummies, rolling and scooting about. I am not saying that swings, jumperoo's etc don't have thier place, my baby had both a swing and a baby walker and spent some time in both but he laso spent alot of time on the floor.
I guess I am just more aware of the importance of tummy/floor time this time round because of my experiences wih my elsdest sons physical therapy.

6 months is a good time to slowly introduce a few tastes of solids. If he is refusing cereal at this point he is telling you; "mom, I'm not quite ready yet". Don't worry, he may even be nearer to seven or eight months before he is interested, mine was, now (at 11 months) he eats us out of house and home, he's just wolfed down a whole cream cheese sandwich all by himself, whilst my 3 year old picked at a few bits on his tray!!
Helpful - 0
I am going to do it every night when I get home.  I will put all his fav. toys in front of him.  How long should he stay on his tummy?
Helpful - 0
My advice is for you moms to get on the floor with your baby. Talk to them, sing to them, share toys with them when they are on their tummies. No baby comes out loving tummy time, they learn to love it. My two younger boys were rolling back to belly by 3 weeks, belly to back by 2 months, scooting at 4 mos, and walking at 9 mos. The common factor? They got tummy time from birth. My oldest was held all the time and I fell into the "he doesn't like it" garbage. He didn't roll back to belly until almost 5 mos, didn't start crawling until 7 mos, but did start walking at 8.5 mos. Crawling is a huge part of development as it helps baby's coordinate working both sides of their body and their brain at the same time.

My kids all hit 20lbs by 4 mos without solids and only breast milk. They kept me up at night throughout their first year and I accepted that as part of being a mom. I know it is rough, really i do. I understand being frustrated. But life shouldn't revolve around trying it force an issue with them that comes with time. And denying them the ability to grow into healthy babies by not putting them on their tummies isn't fair to them.

Help your babies grow right and reach their milestones.
Helpful - 0
Peas are so thick
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.