Sleepy children

How long does your child sleep at night?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I posted this because my little guy is 15 months old. He sleeps at least 12 hours at night and takes a 3-4 hour nap during the day. My MIL thinks that there must be something wrong with him to sleep so much. I asked his dr and she said it's not an issue, so I'm not worried about it.... I was just curious how much other kids sleep.
Helpful - 0
I think this can vary a lot depending on the age of the child. My son sleeps 10-12 (usually closer to 12) and he is 3 1/2.
Helpful - 0
My daughter is 3 1/2.  She doesn't sleep all the way through the night...gets up EVERY night at 2 AM looking for us but thankfully goes back to sleep (in our room:(
Helpful - 0
my son is 17 months old and was sleeping 12 hours at night. It was great. If I put him to bed at 9, he would sleep till 9 the next morning, He had been sick for a few weeks and everything is all haywire now, Im lucky if he sleeps 8 hours before wanting to get up and raise he$$, lol. I have to make him lay back down becuase I know how crabby he will be. I wouldnt worry about your son sleeping "too much" unless he become lethargic and doent want to do his normal activities I wouldnt worry. Our growing kids need their sleep. BTW- My 2 older boys still sleep 10-12 hours sometime:~)
Helpful - 0
Dd is 13 months and sleeps 9 hours per night.  She takes one nap during the day for about an hour on average (sometimes 30 min and sometimes 2 hours)
Helpful - 0
my guys are 18 months old and just stopped 2 naps per day. they were sleeping 12 hours at night and 2 2-3 hour naps/day. NOW it's 12 hours at night and 1 2-3 hour nap/day. they go to bed between 8-10 pm (usually 8 30) and sleep till 8-830 the next morning.
Helpful - 0
I think some kiddos are sleepers, mine are not.  Cam is running around like a madman as I type- he thinks he's playing hockey- he will be 3 in a little over a month.  He will be the first one up too.  I asked our ped about it with both boys, they just don't seem to need as much sleep- lucky me.  Carson is 6 & I find he sleeps more now, he must be growing, plus he has long days in school & sports.  I can fight Cam down for about 8, but he didn't sleep thru the night either till about 1 & 1/2.  Had a co-worker whose kiddos would go down around 7, then sleep till maybe 8 am & still take 2 naps a day of at least an hour.  Just depends on the kids.
Helpful - 0
I would have killed that coworker.  :)
Helpful - 0
My son is close to 2 1/2 and it all depends on if he naps during the day and what time he wakes up in the morning.  If he does nap, he naps for 2 hours from 1-3 or 2-4, I prefer 1-3 because the later he naps the later he goes to sleep.  He would sleep longer but we don't let it go passed 2 hours because he's impossible to put to sleep.  If he naps, he goes to sleep around 10 pm to much of our disliking.  He will wake up around 8 am.  If he doesn't nap he goes to bed around 7:30 pm or 8 pm and can sleep until 9 am.  I noticed he sleeps later if he goes to bed earlier with no nap.  But he sleeps between 10-12 hours a night.
Helpful - 0
my son was the perfect sleeper!! went to bed at 8 and woke when i had to get him up to take to daycare and 2 excellent naps a day!!

now my addy, lol. she is 2 and just started sleeping well recently.  she actually just started sleeping in her own bed in her own room this past weekend and its been heaven!! she still wont go to sleep without someone laying down but hey im happy with what she has accomplished so far!!

Helpful - 0
My 6 month old will sleep for 11-12 hours straight and take two naps (about 1 hour and 3 hours).   My 3 year old for about 10-11 hours and takes a 2 hour nap.  It sounds fine to me; be grateful for a great sleeper! = )
Helpful - 0
Some days I was sooo sick of that co-worker.  She would call in to work as too pregnant to work- starting around 3 months on.  It was a long 9 months, but we didn't see her for weeks at a time....she no longer works & is expecting #3.  I bet this one will sleep all the time too, we used to joke that her kids got her lazy genes, which is not nice....but true for her anyway, cute kids though.
Helpful - 0
my son is 21 months, and sleeps 8-10 hours.  He's in his room for 11 hours usually, however he also typically stays up and plays, or wakes up around midnight to play.  So I'm not sure how much he actually sleeps.  He also only takes about 3 naps a week.

He's a very active child, it takes a LOT to wear him out!
Helpful - 0
my daughter is 17 months old, and she sleeps 10-12 hours a night...she usually sleeps 10pm-10AM, with anywhere from 1-3hour nap during the day. she will wake up once or twice during the night thirsty so I give her water but she goes right back to sleep immediately.

Kahlan's funny though...she's really active. she goes from 0-60 and from 60-0 in seconds flat. she'll literally be running around squealing or dancing and singing and then all of a sudden find a spot on the floor and take a spontaneous nap during the day. (and no she's not narcoleptic, she's just weird). but when she wakes up she literally opens her eyes, sits up, and then gets up and starts running. there's no transition period for her, lol.
Helpful - 0
My 2 year old goes to bed at about 8 pm and wakes up at about 9:30 (or today's case) 10:30. I'm not sure if its because sometimes she goes to bed at 8 pm and wakes up at 5 am when I have to go to work and then tries to sleep in the days I don't or what but she is a good sleeper!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.