Stress and Pregnancy

I may be pregant and plan to take a test next week. Though I feel silly asking this question, it is bothering me so much that I have to ask someone. The other day I received some disturbing news and was very upset. You know when you just feel so cold inside and your hands shake. The physical symptoms only lasted for a little while. I then start doing research as I am 41 yeras old and my first and only other child is 15. While reading things I see that severe stress can cause a miscarriage in older woman (and yes that is me). Can a brief period of stress cause harm? This is my second marriage and I know hoe badly my husband wants a baby. Now I am worrying about worrying.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think it is extended ongoing stress that is damaging.
Helpful - 0
They usually say a long period of stress can cause a M/C. I would try to relax as it seems you are doing better. It is so easy to stress yourelf out mroe when you are preggo, just try to stay calm for your sake & the babies!
Helpful - 0
Just as the other poster said, the only way stress can cause a problem is an extreme amount of stress over a conimually long period of time, and even then it will probably effect you much more than your baby. You shouldn't worry about stress causing a m/c. I actually hate when people say stuff like "don't get stressed, you could cause a m/c". I think that is aweful. Plus, With my current pregnancy, I stressed majorly in the first trimester because I had had a previous m/c (not due to stressing either) and worried about my new pregnancy being healthy. Everything has gone really well with my current pregnancy. I don't think stress plays any role in early m/c and I've read there is no proof to back up those claims.  However, extreme amounts of stress or anxiety have been linked to pre-term labor later in a pregnancy. So it is a good idea to try and stay calm, but it shouldn't cause a problem for you or anyone else.
Helpful - 0
Thank you all. I am so happy that I took a day off and came across this site. As one of you mentioned, alot of people have alot of comments. People that do not even know I am trying will say "At your age, it'll be hard if you try to have a kid" or "Does it bother you that your husband is 5 years younger and has no children of his own and you may not be able to get pregnant?" Thank goodness I am not a horse - would they make glue out of me? Amazing though, how people you do not even know can make you feel better. Thanks you all!
Helpful - 0
As a 43yo pregnant 3rdtime mom (with new, 3 year younger DH), I sympathize.  BTW there's an article in paper about the effect of stress on adrenals today (saw in yahoo)---I always say this so I was so glad to see it. Constant worrying lowers your adrenals which lowers your immunity and your hormone levels (ok, now try NOT to worry about that). Constant though--not momentary blips.  You'll be fine and don't let the naysayers bug you--they'll all be 41 soon enough and see how we're not really all done in just yet. And women have had babies in wars, and in poverty and with illnesses and family problems, and babies have been fine....

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.