Sunburn!!!! Ouch! /open forum

First of all...let me just say that everything you read that says pregnant women burn faster is SO TRUE! Yesterday I spent the day at the lake with my family. We were on our boat for about 45 minutes and I am completely scorched!!! (Honestly, I look like a walking stop sign!) The pain is unbearable. I am using aloe vera gel, cold milk compresses and plan to use white vinegar/water when I get home from work. Does anyone have any other miracle solutions for the sting of a serious sunburn?

And this is probably being a bit ridiculous...but this won't effect the baby at all will it? It's just my legs and arms that are burnt (belly was covered...thank goodness).

Thanks ladies! Feel free to use as open forum since I hogged a post and it wasn't really pregnancy related! :)
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm not pregnant right now that I know of (11 DPO) but I also got scorched yesterday....on my arms and legs too.  I am so burned that when I got out of bed this morning and stood up my muscles in my legs started cramping.  I took some Tylenol, which you can take too.  It helped a bunch with the "pain".  Try it and see.  Also, a vinegar bath is the only other thing besides aloe vera that helps me.  I'm blonde and have fair skin so I deal with this every summer!  You think I would learn!! :)
Helpful - 0
you know i got a little burn on my shoulders too, not too bad but i have been putting my palmers massage lotion on it and it feels so much better. my sons burn healed faster with it too.  if you google sunburn you will find many different ways that you might relieve your burn.  i think time is what is going to do the trick sorry!
Helpful - 0
Try tea.  Make a pot and use a sponge and rub it over the burnt areas.  A friends wife works in the burn unit at our hospital here and she says that helps take some of the burn out of it.
Helpful - 0
When you do the vinegar and water--put the towel or the washcloth in the frezer--it works so much better--that way also you can have a few ready to go.  Just keep reusing them as the get moist plop back in freezer--take the next one out.  Helps a great deal.
Helpful - 0
This is all good to know seeing as we are going to the beach starting tomorrow for the next week - I will take extra precautions.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the quick replies! I will have to try the tea idea! The vinegar and water being frozen is a good idea too....but I keep chilling so bad that I think it'd send me into shock! lol I tried the cold milk compresses last night and I started shaking and shivering so bad it was almost comical! I guess next time I'll just roll in a pool of sunscreen before I go out!
Helpful - 0
lfb
I agree with you that pregnant women burn faster.  I never burn, I always spend a ton of time in the sun and the first time I went out this summer I got scorched.  I had used sunscreen, but not very strong.  Tha last few times I used my son's really strong sunscreen and I haven't burnt again.  I wish I had read the things you had read about pregnant women, because I wasn't expecting to get burned that bad!
Helpful - 0
Yes-I'm more sensitive also. I burn or tan much more easily now. Just a few minutes in the sun and I have marks.
Helpful - 0
I got a bad burn a few weeks ago, and it wasn't even that sunny out!! It must be true that you burn easier when pregnant..normally I just tan real nice, but I was a cooked lobster for sure! I don't think it can harm the baby as long as you don't get a sun stroke and keep well hydrated...I mean too much sun probably isn't good, but in your case, I don't think you over did it...
Helpful - 0
If you go into a tanning salon they have an ointment that contains aloe and another ingredient (can't remember off the top of my head) it takes the sting out and tends to make the burn heal sooner.

The only time to worry about a burn is if there is a chance of infection (blisters) or you get a fever.

Best Wishes to you feeling better soon!
Helpful - 0
Haha, being a redhead, I'm the queen of sunburns! Usually when I get one real bad, I like to soak myself in a nice cold bath. Just make sure you're constantly keeping hydrated and keep your skin dry with aloe or a wet washcloth. Hope you feel better and stay out of that sun as much as possible right now. :)
Helpful - 0
Hey! I work in a tanning salon and sometimes people come out of there really burned. With the aloe, if you are not already, put it in your refrigerator too cool off..it will feel so much better when you put it on. If you have a local walmart, go and get some lotion containing hempz. That will clear it right up, it will actually turn you brown! Also, stay really hydrated as that really helps too. The baby will be fine! Good luck!
Helpful - 0
be careful of some of the sunburn ointments out there. alot of them contain aloe and topical lido caine or benzocaine. the "caine" ingredient is a numbing agent that is absorbed into your blood stream through the skin. when i worked in dermatology we always told pregnant women to take a tepid bath, use vinegar and aloe alternating. tylenol may help a bit too. we would never use anything to numb unless it was absolutely needed. maybe my group was overly cautious. i'm not sure.

the "caine" effects are not fully known on a fetus, but it does cross over.

if nothing else check with your doctor.

hope you feel better real quick :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.