Avatar universal

Tubal ligation & uterine ablation

My husband and I desperately want a baby together. Where do we start? How do I find a doctor that supports pregnancy after ablation and ligation? We live in the Delmarva area. Does anyone know of any doctors they could refer?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
172023 tn?1334672284
You probably won't find many doctors who will encourage you to actively try to conceive in your particular situation.

You have obstacles to overcome.  First, either in vitro fertilization or tubal ligation reversal surgery, and then you still have the serious issue of the ablation to consider, and the sometimes life threatening complications for both you and a developing fetus.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but finding a doctor who would be willing to even attempt the tubal reversal surgery or invitro, in light of your post ablation status, might be hard.

Delmarva---where is that?  
Helpful - 0
134578 tn?1642048000
To amplify one point peek made -- it would probably be pretty hard to find a good IVF doctor who will take you on as a patient unless you are planning to use (your eggs and your husband's sperm with) a surrogate to carry the baby.  IVF docs are VERY serious about avoiding anything that would reduce the possibility that their patients will have a successful pregnancy.  They ask you a million health questions and look at your past records, and they also monitor your uterine lining's thickness by ultrasound in a "mock cycle" before ever going through a real cycle of egg draw, fertilization, and transfer.  The process is so expensive for the patient that it is in their best interests to be this careful, and they certainly don't want to be part of anything that would be dangerous for the mother.  (They probably are also jealous of their success rate and want it to be good).  So unless you are thinking of a surrogate, I would cross IVF off the list.  (If you did find a doctor willing to try IVF for someone who has had an ablation, I'd be pretty leery of the doctor,)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.