Two Questions: bottle/nipple sterilization, dangerous sleeping clothes

Two questions (one post, so trying not to use up space!)

1.  What is the best way to sterilize nipples and bottles?  I have a sterilizer on my registry, but it's expensive!

2.  A couple of the footed sleepers I received as gifts have a note on the tag saying "not intended as sleepwear".  Are there clothes that are dangerous for a child to wear and sleep in?

Thank you for your input!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
lfb
When my DS was a baby the doctor told there was no need for a sterilizer.  She said the dishwasher gets plenty hot.  I would still boil the nipples in hot water about once every week or two just to be sure they were getting really clean.  As far as your other question, i don't really know.  I would think anything that doesn't have a chance or coming up around their face would be fine.
Helpful - 0
The reason they probably would not want you to use it as sleepwear is because it could over heat your baby.And I have read that babies who get overheated are at a higher risk for SIDS.
Helpful - 0
NO need to sterilize except before first use.

The footed sleepers are fine, probably cotton rather than a man made material which is flame retardant.
Helpful - 0
i agree with anxiousmom on the sleepers...its a cover your butt thing for the manufactor ...all sleep clothes have to be made of flame retardant fabric or close fitting cotton to be "sleep" wear....I boil my ds bottles in a big pot.
Helpful - 0
I agree with the others about the clothes. As long as it doesn't get near their face and suffocate them, then it's probably fine. Just watch that your baby doesn't get overheated. Especially since the warmer weather is here.

About the nipples and bottles. You don't need to boil them. The dishwasher is just fine to use. I boiled them with my first daughter and it just got to be a hassle, so my Dr. told me to just stick them in the dishwasher. If you don't have a dishwasher then you can use a big pot to boil them in.
But I would save your money buying something. Just stick them in boiling water for about 5 min and that should do it.
Helpful - 0
Hi - I posted a comment, but now it's gone - weird.  Anyway, thank you all so much for your awesome advice!  

Can I put nipples in the dishwasher without them melting?

What is too heavy for sleep once ds is born in June (it will be hot, but a/c will be on in the house around 71-72ish degrees)?  Are onesies better than footed pjs?
Helpful - 0
I never sterilized my baby's nipples for the bottles--just washed them in warm soapy water--and i used the bottle nipple scrubber.  I used the platex drop in system--fo the bags were always new.

Sometimes cute littel outfits are just that cute outfits that are not up to sleep requirments--it does not mean that if you put it on your litle one that during the day you can not let them nap in it.  Just a manufacturer protecting themselves from lawsuit crazy people.
Helpful - 0
I do have a sterilizer, and use it every day, but that is because our water comes from a well, and the pedi told me to. (Because of not knowing if there were organisms in the water).  For what it is worth, I LOVE the sterilizer.  It means all I have to do is suds and rinse the bottles and everything else is done by the sterilizer and I know them to be perfectly clean.

If you put nipples in the dishwasher, invest in a bottle basket for the dishwasher.  It's great for the small things.  Also, if you use the orangey kind of nipple and not the clear kind, feel them now and again and toss them out if they get gummy or sticky.  You can wash nipples in the dishwasher but it's a bit harder on the orangey kind and they deteriorate faster.

As for the onesie versus the footed sleeper, there are lighter-weight sleepers and also lighter-weight sleepsacks, and I would be sure to have some choices for the cooler nights and the warmer nights.  (And for the nights when he has a blowout all over everything, LOL.)  My ds sleeps in either a footed sleeper and sleepsack or a long-sleeved onesie and sleepsack, depending on how warm it is that night, and this is not even in the summer yet.

The way to judge is by feeling his hands when he is sleeping.  If they are slightly cool but not little blocks of ice, he is at about the right temperature.  If they are warm or especially hot, he is too hot.  (If they are little blocks of ice, feel down his back.  If it is warm there, he's probably OK.)

My guess is that we will go to a onesie for sleeping by summer, either with a very light sleepsack or just with socks.      
Helpful - 0
I did boil water and place nipples and bottles in there for 5 minutes.  After the initial sterilization, I use the dishwasher.  Be careful though, you should be using the top shelf, and you can buy those baskets, or I just stick mine in there up topIt gets hot enough to sterilize them.  As for he sleepers, I have not noticed any that said not intended for sleeping, strange, but the others are right.  The manufacturers have to cover their butts.  The material probably isn't flame retardant and does not meet the standards.  It should be fine, but I use cotton sleepers to, you want something breathable and comfy and something that will not overheat baby.  
Helpful - 0
Yes, you can put the nipples in without them being damaged. Just put them with the silverware, or you can buy these baskets that go in the dishwasher and put them in there. I think my mom got her's at Walmart for like $10.

And the baby can pretty much sleep in anything. Onsies are not any better or worse than the footed sleepers. I used onsies in the summer with my first 2 kids.
Something that I forgot to mention is with my last 2 kids I had them sleep in a sleep sac. It's supposed to reduce the chances for SIDS. and you won't need to use a blanket. When its warm I would put a onesie on them then the sleep sac.
When I first got one for my daughter I had to buy them online, but yesterday I saw one at Shopko. So I'm sure they are at other places also if you are not near a Shopko.
If you want to get one online, just type in sleepsac and there will be a bunch of different places to buy them.
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much for your responses!!
Helpful - 0
You're welcome! I hope you end up finding something that works!!
When are you due? My daughter was born in June also. I still can't believe she is going to be 4 next month!!
Helpful - 0
I think the items you got that looked like sleepers but were marked as not for sleeping were actually meant for the baby to wear outside in cool weather.  I got a couple of them in velour as gifts, and they do have feet, but they are clearly meant to be worn when coming home from the hospital, going to Grandma's, etc.  They are too warm to sleep in, also too fancy.
Helpful - 0
I have a microwave steriliser. It cost a fraction of the price that the electric one cost.I rarely use it at the moment as I breastfeed, but when I have to pump I always sterilise everything, but I thought that you had to. Wow you learn something new everday.

As for temperature 64 degrees ( 18 celcius) is the perfect room temperature. As a guide in an 64 degree room your child should gave two blankets on. 69 degrees one blanket and 75 degrees just the sheet. This is based on a child wearing a body top and a sleep suit.
Helpful - 0
Two blankets plus a sleep suit?  I think that would be too hot, plus we are cautioned not to put loose blankets over a baby (choking hazard) in our baby-and-parent classes.  Our advisor said just a sleepsack, with either a onesie or sleepers under it.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.