anti nausea drug

I was given this drug for severe vomiting & dehydration while pregnant in 1968. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl &was getting ready to leave the hospital with her. She was 3 days old and healthy. She died before we left the hospital. There was no cause of death and it was classified as SIDS. I have never been satisfied with that answer and have always felt it was the drug I was given for months. I need closure on this and want to know if anyone else has had the same experienc or any info on this.  I had 4healthy children without taking this drug. Just doesn't make sense to me
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for ur help and sharin ur story. I will keep searching for the answer &will post if anythingg significant comes to play
Helpful - 0
Here is what AndiJ posted in 2008 on MedHelp in response to a similar question, except asking about infertility in femal children as a result of taking it.  There is a lot of online suspicion about Benedictin, but all that I could find were in chat rooms, I could find no definitive research done by a reputable medical organization or study.

Andi said:

"Bendectin wasn't linked as far as I know, I have been asked by every OB is my mother took DES (Diethylstilbestrol) while pregnant as that has been clearly linked to spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), ectopic pregnancy, and pre-term delivery.

"http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/154/4/316

"As far as Bendectin, it has still been widely used around the world. I did come across one study that mentioned an increased risk of pyloric stenosis, but yet another that suggests the use of Bendectin is linked with a DECREASE in congenital heart defects. As you can see, the research is still be performed and can show many different end results.

"But I have not found any conclusive evidence to link it with infertility.  I, too, have suffered through multiple losses, 5 total.  I was blessed with three boys, my first came after my 3rd loss and then one loss between my first and second son and then another between my second and third . I underwent several tests after my 4th loss, all of which led to no conclusive answers. They were made aware of the prenatal exposure to Bendectin, which was considered insignificant. In the end, my testing pointed to 'bad luck.'

"I suggest you google Bendectin [...] or Prenatal exposure [Benedictin]. The results brought back so much information, way too much to post here.  I hope some day you find your answers."
Helpful - 0
The name of the drug was Benedictin.  I just happened to see an article on it and when it was banned.  This makes more sense to me than SIDS.  I need to know if sudden death is a side effect of this drug.  I am trying to locate the records from then.
Any info is appreciated.  Thanks
Helpful - 0
I am sorry for the loss of your beautiful daughter.  If you can get the name of the drug, you should be able to google it and see if any future research showed side effects.  If you still have access to your medical records from that time (ask your present provider how to find them) they will say the name of the drug.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.