cant find fetus

i was recently in surgery for an eptopic pregnancy, when i woke up doctor said he was at a loss for words he had never seen this before but was unable to find where the baby was. i have to get retested in a week via ultrasound to see if the fetus will present itself. my hcg levels are rising not doubling in 48 hrs but enough to leave me feeling comfortable.
since i came out of anesthetic i have had light bleeding and small clotting even though the doc never removed anything and the hcg levels are still rising... i am absolutley terrified is the anasthetic and surgery dangerous for it? and would like to know if anyone has been in the same situation and could tell me how it played out. there is no sack or baby visable at all. thank you
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
WOW!  That is some story!  Please let us know how it goes.  They are going to make you wait a week?
Well wishes.
Helpful - 0
Did you post your question on the pregnancy site?  I would post it on the 34 and under and the 35 and older...Hopefully you can get some answers...
Helpful - 0
I had this happen about 5 years ago. I went in for emergency surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy and when I woke up the doctor said the good news is you still have both tubes and there was no ectopic, but then he said the bad news is I would most likely miscarry. I then changed doctors! I stayed pregnant for about 1 month and then I did miscarry. I am not sure if it was because of the surgery or something else, because the chromosomes of the baby came back normal. I guess I will never really know what happened. Good luck with everything!
Helpful - 0
This happened to me a few years ago. Very similar situation.
It ended up being an abdominal pregnancy...very uncommon.
The followed my levels...same as you, I had on and off spotting. They eventually went in and did an exploratory lap (went in thru my belly buttin with a scope to look around) and that was how my OB found it.
I don't know what would have happened if he didn't find it, but when oher nurses and doctors read my chart now they always say...wow, you were really lucky he found that!
Hope it helps, and keep us updated.
Helpful - 0
How  far are you supposed to be? It could be too early to see the baby in the uterus or as StillTrying said it could be an abdominal pregnancy. Ask you doc about the possibility of abdominal. Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
my week wait was worth it..... the baby is 7 weeks heartbeat of 109, and they are unsure why they were unable to find it prior to the appt. dr said it is far along enough it shouldnt have been missed.
surgery was for nothing but hopefully the outcome will be good.... thankyou everyone for your responses, hopefully this being positive up to this point will leave others with the same concerns with a good taste in their mouths :)
Helpful - 0
OMG Jennifer!  I cant believe you went through that!  This is a story you should go post on the pregnancy board!  It will give people hope!  congrats
Helpful - 0
CYW
i was thinking about you the other day that is definately inspiring...just goes to show that nothing is ever perfect..thank you for believing in yourself and your little one..i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a healthy pregnancy..that is just so amazing.. congrats...
Helpful - 0
wanted to update everyone that i have made it to my second trimester....yay!!!! all is good to date and hopefully in 6 months i can put a pic to my name there :)
Helpful - 0
just wanted to add.... i am now 37 weeks pregnant and dying to get this sweet boy out of me........ ill keep everyone informed on when i have him
Helpful - 0
I must have missed this post months ago.  Congratulations!  This is an incredible story.  I bet you cant wait!  Just a little bit left.  Good Luck and enjoy your pregnancy for the last 3 weeks.  
Helpful - 0
wow that is an amazing story congrats and good luck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.