eating habits..

My 4 month old still eats every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and eats about 6-7 ounces, sometimes with cereal each time.. and he sleeps from like 8pm to 6 or 7 am but still takes naps every other hour , sleeping anywhere from 45 mins to an hour.. is this normal? he will be 5 months old in a week or so... i never thought at this age he would still be sleeping and eating so much!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Mine is 4 mos old on Monday and he still eats every 2 hrs....No food and 98% breastmilk....some days he gets 4 oz of formula at the daycare but that is it.

He has only ever slept 3 hrs or more twice.  Always awake every 2 hrs and acts starving.
At first I thought he was waking to just nurse, suckle....but he's actually eating.

So, I guess the eating thing is normal....but lucky you....yours sleeps.

I'd say - every baby is different and your baby may just need more sleep than most.
Is he sleeping more than 15 hrs a day?
Helpful - 0
CYW
my ds is going to be 5 months on the 12th..he now eats cereal 2 times a day..and has 4 bottles per day...he has6 oz where 1 goes into the ceral am..the 5 at 12, then 6 at 4 with cereal and then 6 before bed and sleeps 8 or 9 till 7-9am...depends...i think your ds is normal...if he goes all night i think eating evfer 3 hours is good..how often do you feed him..have you spoke to his dr bout this too? if you are concerned he may offer something..
Helpful - 0
including nights, almost.. but when hes awake we keep him really active.. my husband and i both work from home so he gets alot of interacting with us both,, maybe thats why he sleeps so much, lol
Helpful - 0
i would say...consider yourself lucky! haha. like the above poster asked, doe she sleep more than 15 hrs.? when he is awake, is he alert, happy, etc.? if you see nothing else that worries you, you should just count your blessings! a 5 month old who eats well and sleeps well is hard to come by!
Helpful - 0
CYW
apparently formula fed babies tend to sleep more than breastfed babies..i also notice bf babies are fed more often...i didnt breast feed..i went straight with enfamil a + and his ped said it has every nurishment and plus that breast milk has...he prefers if a child can handle it if not breast fed to be on enfamil a+
Helpful - 0
CYW
mine wakes up sometimes middle of the night but falls back asleep..ive noticed he sleeps better since he began the cereal..is more content happy etc...does sleep for more than 2-3 hours a day..thats about 3 naps in the day but i think thats cause ive been training him to soothe himself etc...getting ready for daycare
Helpful - 0
yes he's constantly laughing when hes awake and really alert.. u say his name and he just turns and smiles , unfortunately he seems to like TV to much, but i guess most babies do.. Hes fascinated by the Backyardigans...  however he will uaually only sleep for long periods of time in his swing. he will take naps laying down in bed but at night he will only sleep a few minutes then he starts to rub his head and nose and eventually just acts so miserable that i give in and put him in the swing. i figured he would eventually grow out of this
Helpful - 0
my son was never a good sleeper, so thats why i said consider yourself lucky. haha. he napped ok during the day but never really slept long periods of time at once until he was able to roll over as he preferred to sleep on his tummy. i was scared to let him for all the reasons everyone knows, but once i knew he was strong enough to decide which way he wanted to sleep, i let him, and he slept sooo much better. still not great - but better. he doesn't like tv at all. never did. but my girlfriend has an 11 month old who loved tv since she was like 3 or 4 months. i'm pretty sure its normal and its def. not a bad thing as long as they're watching something educational. start them young! haha. kidding. anyway, yea, he'll grow out of the swing thing. there was a period of time when edward would only nap in the swing and only in the morning. strange. now at 1 year old, he is the best sleeper he has ever been. 2 hour nap during the day and 8:00 pm - about 6:30/7:00 am - straight through. i never thought i's make it to this point, but i'm glad i did, because now that im sleeping like a normal person - i enjoy him so much more. good luck with your little one! <3
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.