not enough sleep

My child, who is 17 months, used to take 2 naps a day and slept for an hour in the morning and then an hour or 2 in the afternoon. Since we switched her to one nap about a month ago, she will only sleep for 30 minutes to an hour if we are lucky. She is extremely tired before the nap around 12:30 and then very tired by 5pm. We have tried to lay her down as early as 11:30 AM instead but she still sleeps the same amount. We put her to bed by 7pm and she is up by 6am. We use a sound machine both during the day and at night so house or outdoor "sounds" are not the reason she is waking up. HELP,,,, she is not getting enough sleep. My older child never went through this so I am now stumped and even more stressed.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
At 17 mos, most kids 10-13 hours of sleep. She is getting 11 hours at night, she may not feel the need for lots of long naps. This can range, obviously. My oldest slept for 12 hours a night and took 2 naps a day at that age, roughly 1 hour naps. Even at 6, he sleeps about 10 hours a night. My middle one is quite different. He sleeps maybe 8 hours a night if we are lucky and takes a 1 hour, sometimes a 2 hour nap every day at noon or 1pm. He is just wired differently. And my baby (15 mos) sleeps 10 hours at night and takes 2, sometimes 3 naps a day. He gets a total of 14 hours of sleep a day.

I follow their cues, if CJ seems tired before his usual bedtime, we put him down early.
Helpful - 0
Give her more time to adjust to one nap a day.  DD was never a good napper and she went to one nap a day at 12 months.  Now she sleeps on average 1 1/2 hours during the day and about 10 hours at night (and she NEVER slept through the night).  I'd give her more time to adjust.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.