prego with a copper iud

Hi, I've had a copper iud in place for three and a half years.  After I stopped nursing I got a normal period avery month for the past year and a half now.  I am almost a week late!  Is it possible to be prego or can my period have just stopped?   Also all my life my periods have been only 2 - 3 times a year,  but since the copper iud always regular! Anyone with the same or similair experience?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Its possible to be pregnant (it happened to me, with my first child), but  very unlikely.

You should test for pregnancy, using a first morning urine and a sensitive pregnancy test.
If it is negative, you can test again in several more days to a week.  If your period is still MIA, either wait a bit longer (even the most regular of women may miss a month in their lifetimes), or ask your doctor, if you are uncomfortable with waiting.
Helpful - 0
when did you stop nursing?

if your not using condoms is it still slightly possible for you to be pregnant again

and it sounds like you have had irregular periods before the iud being that you had been getting your periods only 2 to 3 times a year. maybe your body just went back it that?

if you think your pregnant the only thing to do is take a test
Helpful - 0
I have the same question and seem to be in the same boat as u. I will just repost my questons I have posted on another thread....

I have had my Nova-T copper IUD(canadian kind, but only good for 3-5 years) in for 1 1/2 years now. I have had abnormal periods in the past, but since I had this IUD inserted, I have had a very heavy 7 day period at least every 4 if not 6 weeks when it was late.....but always very very heavy from the IUD. Now concerns have risen, since my last period was in the end of December. I have been waiting patiently, just thinking it will be a little late, but will come shortly. So, in the beginning of this month I had no cramps, but very light spotting for four days and also some dark brown blood at times...very little though. After that it just never came. so I was unsure if to consider that a period or not. Definately not the heavy period I am use to since the time I had the IUD inserted. I have two young boys, 2yrs and 5yrs, so I know spotting can happen when u are pregnant. I have been having sore breasts and eating lots, so just too confused. ON the 18th of this month I went in for my 6 month pap(6 month follow up after having a leep procedure done in August/cutting off bad cervical cells) I told my doctor my conerns, so they just did a urine test and she said it is very odd chances of getting pregnant, almost none. She said to have missed or no periods are normal, but then I told her my IUD was not a Mirena with hormones as I knew she thought mine was. She said the strings I had on this IUD, look like a mirena IUD, so that is why she probably said that..knowing the hormones in the Mirena may cause no periods. I told her( I am in states now by the way), that in Canada the copper IUD is not the same as the one here. She just said the urine test was negative and not to worry. I asked her if I could come in a month. She looked at me annoyed and said if I feel like I want to, but the strings are still there and there is no chances of pregnancy. I am paronoid, esp. in 2003, I had an ectopic pregnancy, but had no IUD at that time. I am so confused and sleepless at nights. I am worried and not sure if I should take her word, or start going out and buying my own pg tests and do every few weeks to make sure till a period returns. It is just too strange. I was thinking, maybe it was just too early and I will for sure rebook an appointment with her in a month to make sure, and ask her to do another pregnancy test or even better, a blood test. I can tell she does not appreciate me telling her what to do, but I feel she just does not take me seriously enough and see the chances are there even if I have an IUD and really thinks I am over board. Has anyone else had a copper IUD, missed a period like me and showed up negative on the urine test? Do you think it may just be too ealry? I will pray, and either way me and my husband will have to deal with it.
Helpful - 0
Hi, how did you make out ?.... i had the copper IUD taken out last week because  i am pregnant!.... i am 29 and i have 2 children already. and i was not plannng on having anoher. i was a week late and thought it was just from stress. i didnt think i could get a positive so fast...with a home test. but i was shocked. i made an appointment with my Dr. right away. sent me for an ultra sound.... still too early to see anything. i have to go back for another ultrasound next week and have to do weekly blood work. i still have a positive test. no bleeding no cramping. but i do feel all the normal symptoms as i did with my firt 2 kids.... I just hope it's not eptopic... but at least i cought it early and i know that there is a chance.  but whatever the results i will be ok with . whatever is ment to be will be.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.