I am 23 years old, and for the past 8 years my menstrual cycle has been painful. I have had a regular monthly cycle, and had a period about every 19 days. At the beginning of 2019, it continued to go downhill, my PMS symptoms were lasting for 3 weeks out of a month. The week after my period, I would feel good, then PMS symptoms would kick in.
In April I went to my family doctor and asked about birth control. My doctor and I decided on a continuous method. Below is a detailed account of the medication and symptoms.
*Something also important to mention, is that I had an ultrasound this week. and the report stated, " Small exophytic cyst or paraovarian cyst left ovary. Otherwise, unremarkable ultrasound.
When I first started Lessina, I saw immediate results (taken about a week before I was supposed to start my period). For a few weeks, I felt great, then it went downhill. Then I started Chateal and for a few weeks I felt great, then it went downhill. Now I am on Sprintec, and it is not going well.
Lessina 0.1mg / 0.02mg
- Taken from April 16th-August 4th
- April 16th started taking Lessina, saw improvement immediately (began a week before period).
- Had a period from April 21st to May 7th.
- Spotting from June 23rd to August 5th (about 42 days)
Chateal (Curvelo) 0.15mg / 0.03mg
- Taken from August 5th- August 19th
- Previous spotting from June 23rd ended on August 9th
- Saw improvement, but then began to get PMS symptoms August 14th- August 19th: bloating, headache, loss of appetite, cramps, diarrhea, and acne.
Sprintec 0.250mg / 0.035mg
- Started taking August 20th –28th
- Feel dull uncomfortable cramps, bloated ( Saturday night 8/24, next day, I got spotting)
- Generally feel horrible ( pms symptoms; fatigue, dizziness, bloat, backache, loss of appetite, chills)
- Different kinds of cramps: dull aching cramps, sharp stinging cramps, and intense painful cramps
- Spotting started August 24th -?
Yasmin (Generic Syeda) 3mg drospirenone/ 0.03 ethinyl estradiol
- Started taking August 29th
- Still spotting ( August 30th)
- Spotting getting better (September 3rd)
- Spotting stopped September 4th
- September 4th at night I had a large amount of spotting that lasted till September 6th
- I don’t feel better (September 6th) I have no appetite, cramps on and off (weak and strong)
- When I hold in my urine or need to defecate I feel cramps
My doctor discussed this with a gynecologist and they were both puzzled. Is birth control not working for someone not normal? In my situation, what should I do?