Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.5k Members

Bleeding after Mirena IUD removal

About three weeks ago, I had a mirena IUD removed after 5 years of use. I  am 51, and have not had a period in 2 years. I thought I had gone through menopause - hot flashes, night sweats, etc. Now, I am having a period! I did have 4 days of light spotting after the mirena came out. Now, I started with two days of brown spotting, and now the blood is birght red, and seems to be picking up speed. Is this normal?
4 Responses
hi in reply to your post i had mine removed 3 weeks ago i am 55 and just the same as you i thought it was all over for me too! i looked on the internet to see if anyone else had the same and it sounds like we bothhave!
Hello, I have just found this site after searching for help in regard to bleeding after the removal of my mirena 3 days ago, I am 52, & only had it in 1 1/2 years, but was told by my specialsit it could be taken out as my blood test showed I was now post menopausal. With night sweats 5 times a night & feeling flat & tired all the time, I agreed with him, now I am bleeding like I have a period & wondering is this normal, but thanks to your comments I can see this is common. But is it right that us menopausal women have this bleeding  problem?
I have the mirena removed 6 days ago after having it in  for 5 years- I am 59 and hadn't had a period for 5 years! I started spotting then it started getting heavier is this normal?
2 Comments
I had my removed 2 weeks a go now bleeding my age 59 mirena been in for 7 years
I am wanting mine removed, I had it in 2007 and yea I know it should be 5 years. and its now 12 but it has never bothered me.  I am 55 and haven't had any bleeding or spotting for 5 years. I am hoping that the hormones in the mirena will be gone and I have gone through the menopause, I only have 2 bothersome sweats when I wake and when I get in bed others I can handle. Trouble is I am very scared to have it removed as it says the easiest time is period time(no periods) and I have a tilted womb so I am really bothered. Any of you ladies if you can give advice it will be greatfully recieved
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.