Can doctors test me wrong for herpes ?

So a couple months ago I got tested for genital herpes and my results came back negative. They said I didn’t have it but they kept telling me how to treat it. I’m still very confused as to why they put that I have it when all my testing,labs and my checkups came back negative?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Not really sure.  Maybe they were just trying to increase your knowledge.  If you tested at the right time (waited long enough) or if you had an active sore that they swabbed, then your test results are probably accurate.  Is there a reason you are worried about it?
No reason that I’m worried I was just confused on why they told me I was negative but still gave me paper work on how to manage it
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.