Change in period: now so light its only when I wipe and always dark brown

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me at all. For the last six months or so my periods have really changed. I used to be really really heavy with dark blood at the beginning and end, and bright red blood in the middle (sorry this is so descriptive,). Now I only have bleeding when I wipe, and not a lot of that. It is also really dark blood, practically brown for the whole 2-3 days. The pain is still bad but that is the only thing that is the same. I was on the pill but stopped taking it for about 6 months, then when I started taking it again that is when my periods changed. If it makes any difference the pill is Loestrin (apologies for spelling.)

Just a bit of background information, I have had pelvic pains for about a year which come and go and if my boyfriend is too deep inside me when we have sex I get a deep pain in my belly. I have had a transvaginal ultrasound and a smear test plus blood tests which have all been fine. I do have a laperoscopy booked.

Could this just be hormone changes and down to the pill or could it be something worse? I would be so grateful for any help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I would say it is most likely related to your birth control pills.  But if you are concern, have a pelvic exam/pap smear and discuss this with your doctor.  good luck
COMMUNITY LEADER
.
Ive had both of those, and a blood test and they havent found anything yet, I am stressing so much which probably isnt helping either!
Just had my period and it only lasted one day! This is really worrying me now!
COMMUNITY LEADER
It does sound like a hormonal issue.  Some women have these after taking birth control pills.  It takes a while to 'get back to normal'.  good luck

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.