Foul Gas x 1week before mentrual period every month

I am 32 y/o female 5'7", 150lbs, 2 children and happily married. I do not take any medication or BC pills. I have minimal stress. (many blessings!)My problem: Every month approx one week prior to onset of my period...I experience horrible foul smelling flatulence.  It is embarrasing and needless to say hard to ignore. 3-4x times a year it is accompanied by severe and sudden onset diarrhea, migraine, and other common PMS symptoms.  In researching this topic, I find much on PMS symptoms and treatment...but little mention of this particular problem other than "IBS" or "bowel changes". I do not have mood swings (even husband agrees) but, I am often more tired, clumsy-(I drop things), stutter, and have uncomfortable back pain DURING my period.  What is causing this smell? I am not kidding when I say it is THE foulest odor you can imagine and for 3-4 days of the 1 week it is frequent. Obviously, I try to "hold it in" if in room with others and it is not explosive but, it is so foul I even wake up in the middle of the night because the smell has woken me. I have what I would consider "normal" gas normally.  Please help...I want to know the specific physiologic reason it occurs and what I can do about it.  Thank you.
Sounds like you need to see a specialist possibly a gastro or digestion doctor.  I would usually say it's due to what you've eaten the night or day before, at least that's what it is for me, but if it's every month, then I don't know what it could be.  If it is bothering you as much as it sounds like, I'd definitely see a doctor about it.
I stumbled across your post and I too suffer from similar symptoms.  I have THE foulest smelling gas the week or week and a half leading up to my period.  It is most of the times accompanied by loose stool, sometimes diarrhea.  Outside of this time period, I too have normal gas odor and stool.  It is tolerable now simply because I am single, but if I were married or dating it would be completely misearable.  I have considered seeking physicians advice, but wanted to research it a little further.  Have you had any new updates?
For the women writing about the foul smelling flatulence...here's some advice from me...I have been a pharmacist for 13 years:  You can try taking over-the-counter magnesium supplements...400mg a day a few days before you usually have this problem.  There are also other over-the-counter odor reducers available, but most of them contain chlorophyll (which is a natural substance that makes all green plants green...and is a natural do-odorizor)...but magnesium is a main component of chlorophyll, so it works just as well and is inexpensive. Magnesium is very safe to take.  In fact, if you don't eat enough greens, you may be slightly deficient in this essential mineral, although most doctors aren't aware it, or don't think it is important.  They can only measure magnesium levels OUTSIDE your body's cells, which may be normal, but INTRACELLULAR magnesium may still be low.  There has been research to study if the US should put magnesium into the grain supply, like it does many other vitamins and minerals, to ensure people get enough.  Cardiology doctors often prescribe their heart patients to take magnesium because it is essential for our cardiovascular systems to work.  It works great, and you can buy it anywhere, usually as magnesium oxide.  It will not stop the gas, but it will de-odorize it.  Also be aware that foul smelling gas is often the result of eating too much processed foods...if you try to eat natural it won't be as bad.  Good luck!
I just posted the comment about the magnesium...and if you want you can type in "magnesium" and "odors" or "deodorizer" into the internet and see lots of info on it!
Hi..It's been awhile since you posted.  Did you ever receive any anwers about your "monthly issue"? I have the same symtoms every month, including the studdering.  Just looking for answers!  Thanks!
I have a similar problem...not the foul gas but definitely smellier than usual.  Also, the day of my period I get severe diarrhea.  I've never even had cramps before, so this recent condition seems very strange and I can't find any information to tie diarrhea to menstruation.