Foul Gas x 1week before mentrual period every month

I am 32 y/o female 5'7", 150lbs, 2 children and happily married. I do not take any medication or BC pills. I have minimal stress. (many blessings!)My problem: Every month approx one week prior to onset of my period...I experience horrible foul smelling flatulence.  It is embarrasing and needless to say hard to ignore. 3-4x times a year it is accompanied by severe and sudden onset diarrhea, migraine, and other common PMS symptoms.  In researching this topic, I find much on PMS symptoms and treatment...but little mention of this particular problem other than "IBS" or "bowel changes". I do not have mood swings (even husband agrees) but, I am often more tired, clumsy-(I drop things), stutter, and have uncomfortable back pain DURING my period.  What is causing this smell? I am not kidding when I say it is THE foulest odor you can imagine and for 3-4 days of the 1 week it is frequent. Obviously, I try to "hold it in" if in room with others and it is not explosive but, it is so foul I even wake up in the middle of the night because the smell has woken me. I have what I would consider "normal" gas normally.  Please help...I want to know the specific physiologic reason it occurs and what I can do about it.  Thank you.
hmmm i guess i should read before i post, lots of typos, sorry!
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I am 27yrs old and suffering from The same thing. It is the foulest smell ever. I would be thrilled to know exactly what causes it. Mine is also accompanied by sever bloating and what I like to call my "pregnant belly" because my stomach becomes so distended I can push it out to look about 6mon preggers! So far I haven't been able to find any help. But good to know I'm not the only stinky girl onthe world :-)
Please or to view.
I was googling this problem and came across this forum.  I am 22 and have been suffering from this issue as well although the amount of gas in my body continues is supplied throughout the entire week. Although I managed to cut out the foul flatulence, which is by cutting out the cheese/milk from my diet a week before menstruation (however, it is still EXTREMELY difficult because I'm on a natural menstruation, which varies from month to month), but I'm still left with lots of gas albeit they don't stink.  Now, I'm left with controlling the sounds I make while I'm out in public and often resort to crop dusting. The real question is, how in the world can we cut out the gas in our bodies during menstruation????
@AmandaWallace- You might want to look up the symptoms of Celiac's Disease. I got diagnosed a year and a half ago and also had the pregnant belly look, plus digestive/gas issues.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Hi I am 19yrs. old and I am sooooooooo glad and relieved that I am not the only one that feels this way I seriously thought something was wrong with me! And it always happens a week before my period is that normal????? I am so happy to hear I am not the only one that has this problem!
You guys I am a vegan and eat about no processed foods. If it stinks that bad, you probably have a poor diet. You need to eat more fresh and raw foods. Stop eating processed foods, including fast food. What I have been reading it is natural as the body is sending out signals to release the lining of the uterus and the instestines get caught in the cross fire. So it is apparently normal as we have read. But it stinks because of your diet. Even too much meat will cause odor. Just my opinion.
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
What an absurd comment "vegan often equals an intellectualised eating disorder" Truth being that it's highly intelligent of a human to be vegan as they have taken control of their health, the future of this planet, and vitally important, they do not wish to be party to the grotesque torture and slaughter of animals who desire to live. Yes, animals love too and want to have families of their own and do not want to die. Why should vegans keep it to themselves? Why shouldn't they wear it on their sleeves? Especially when innocent animals are abused and murdered for the taste of a meat sandwich.
Oh my, I am experiencing this hell of nature right now. The diarrhea started Monday, the gas Wed., then my cycle today. The gas machine that is my bowl has been on full, stinky blast. If I normally ever do have flatulence, it's not like this--only during this time.

Couple of things, this started happening when I turned 40 (now 41). I was always lucky to have a normal 28-day cycle that lasted 3 days with few problems. Not anymore! Now it's every 35-40 days, heavy lasting 5-6 days, spotting in between with the crazy symptoms above (also add bloody stools).

I have another appointment with my Gyno next week--they put me on the "mini-pill" and it made it worse!!!

look up Diverticulosis. This causes bloody stools and all of these other symptoms. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago at the age of 41. You need a gastro doctor, not a Gyno. God bless, and good luck
Please or to view.
I am 30 and my friend and I have always called it "period gas". I think more women have it than will admit to it, but I also had it during pregnancy, with both my children. As for the monthly loose stools, my doc said they were caused by the same hormones that make out uterus contract (intestines contracting) to shed the lining (our period ). Don't have any suggestions, other than Gas-X and keeping a food diary. HTH!
I wonder if there are evolutionary causes behind us getting this unfortunate, foul smelling flatulence. Could it be that by this way, female mammals may be keeping the males off them during menstruation I wonder. [..if other female mammals suffer from the same thing too because many mammals have overt or covert menstruation]
Well you can add my 15 almost 16 yr old to the bunch.  She's been getting terrible bloating and burping monthly - along with a little stinky but not terrible farting.  We eat about half and half process/natural foods - but she does eat a ton of vegetables (more than most teens I would guess).  She doesn't drink milk or soda so that helps but is a big cheese/yogurt eater.  I'll get her on the suggestions and watch this discussion.  Plus will try gasX.  thanks for the suggestions everyone!
OMG, I thought I was the only one.   The gas, the pain, the mood swings, the headache...everything!
Thanks for your comments and advice. (-;
Please or to view.
I think a lot of this has to do with our diets.  If we eat "bad" food on a regular basis, this is already built into our digestive system.  When the hormones go out of whack during our monthly cycle, the IBS can kick in and cause all kinds of havoc.  I use to have this problem too, but my work around was due to gull bladder issues starting to develop.  I stayed away from fast food, soda and processed foods.  I also started taking Philipps Colon Health pills each night... which are great!  The pills help reduce gas in general and I no longer had the bad gas during PMS time.  I am a firm believer that our diet is related to a lot of the issues we experience.  Try staying away from the bad foods and take the Phillips Colon Health and see if that helps.
I'm vegan too and I have this stanky problem. I think it's the production of prostalgndins that's the culprit. The nerves in that region of the body are pretty mashed up as well.  But there's nothing wrong with cutting back on processed foods.  I'm stoked to try out activated charcoal!!!!
Please or to view.