Irregular period?

My period is has always been pretty normal, heavy for only 2 days and lasts for 5-6 days, and my breasts are usually sore right before I start. This time though my breasts were not sore and I am having heavy bleeding for 4-5 days now with larger than normal clots. Last night I was in the shower and something in my lower stomach felt like it ripped? (no pain though) and a huge clot came out (sorry eww) followed by a steady flow of bright red blood. It freaked me out! The weird bleeding slowed down a little after about an hour and it’s back to the “normal” heavy bleeding with no end in sight. What could be going on with me?
If you have been having sex, it could be a miscarriage. The lack of breast soreness doesn't particularly suggest it, however. It could be leftover tissue from an earlier (very early) miscarriage. It is also possible that you had a decidual cast.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Well, yes, we have to ask if you've been sexual active.  Some women have chemical pregnancies which means they were pregnant very early and naturally miscarry.  And it is like a heavy, more painful period.  But you'd have had to have sex for that.  Another possibility is a cyst.  Women get those from time to time.  And when they pass, it's painful.  Most women will pass a simple cyst without any issue other than what feels like a heavier and more painful period.  If you continue to have issues, I'd look into endometriosis or fibroids as well.  When is the last time you had a pap smear?  That's important to do and will give insight to if there are any problems.