Is it spotting or implantation bleeding?

I have been on the Depo shot for 2 years now, and my period stopped almost instantly. The only time I bleed now, is when I’m about a week out from my next shot. And it is always extremely light spotting. May last shot was in May and I am not due until the end of July. But over the last few days I have had some very light bleeding. It’s brownish in color and it has been getting worse. I have no pain, cramping, bloating, urgency to pee, no other issues or symptoms. My boyfriend and I only have intercourse on the weekends, and he does not always make it to climax, and when he does he pulls out; we don’t use condoms due to me not having a period and both of us being STD free. I’m just wondering if it’s just a new side effect of my shot, or if I am possibly having implantation bleeding.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Implantation bleeding is more or less an Internet myth. When an embryo burrows into the uterine sidewall it is smaller than the dot on the i in this sentence. It does not cause noticeable bleeding, if anything (and it's questionable whether it would even be this visible) a woman might see a pale pink wisp one time. What you are describing sounds like breakthrough bleeding. Back in the day when I was on the pill, I was told breakthrough bleeding was a sign that the progesterone in the pill wasn't strong enough and if I got breakthrough bleeding I was to use condoms until my doc would be able to prescribe me a different pill. You might tell your doctor what is happening for you and ask if you are protected.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community