Labia / vulva becomes very painful during arousal

I have the ability to become sexually aroused, and reach the point before climax, but when i am almost there my vulva area has intense discomfort. It feels like a painful numbness, and is immediately too uncomfortable to touch, therefore i have never reached orgasm as the arousal stops very quickly after this. It's very annoying as i have the desire and arousal just not the final end point, it always painfully trails off.
I have read a few articles about internal pain, but mine is definitely the external parts of the vagina.
I have never given birth, and am under 25. I am on a combined birth control pill. I am suspicious that it could be hormone levels, or the rush of blood being what is painful, but i am unsure. Has anyone got any similar experiences, or an idea of what is wrong, and ways to help this issue out?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Does this happen only with penetration, or any time you get aroused?
This only happens when i get to a certain level of arousal that i don't achieve from penetration, so i couldn't be sure if it would happen then. This currently occurs from external stimulation, but i have experimented with techniques, and i am sure it isn't the pressure i am applying that causes the problem but the arousal itself.
Hm. I do think I wrote back to you, but even hitting a character and posting it is not bringing it back. What I said is that this could be vulvodynia, and could be clitoral phymosis, but I don't know if you would be able to get that definite of a diagnosis from just an average ob/gyn. In your shoes, though, I'd definitely start with your doctor and see what he or she says.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community