Odd cramping after orgasm and bowel movements

This is quite odd but I experience an uncomfortable cramping in my lower abdomen after I have an orgasm or after a particularly intense bowel movement. It's somewhat painful but definitely more on the uncomfortable side. Occasionally I will also feel the cramping when I get sexually excited. It doesn't last for too long, a few minutes at most but I was curious if anyone else had experienced something like this.

Thank you for your feedback.
Pig
External User
Maybe it's endometriosis?
Many of us have had laparoscopic surgeries proving we did NOT have endometriosis.  Some women do.  That is not what is causing this for most of us.  I, myself, have had two separate laparoscopies ten years apart both indicating I did not have that or any adhesions or anything visibly wrong inside.
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Just wanted to say, since finding this thread back in August I've been taking Cod Liver Oil capsules and Magnesium tablets once a day - and I've had no more post-orgasm pain or cramps ever since! I really, really would recommend it as a course of action - at least try it, it's worked for me. I've had plenty of orgasms so I've had plenty of chance to test it out and the pain has totally stopped, it's amazing. I used to get the cramps almost every time I had an orgasm. I'm so amazed that something so simple has worked.

From what I can tell, the reason it works is that Cod Liver Oil is great for general muscle strength, and magnesium helps with cramping - it's what you crave when you're on your period to ease the cramps - that's why you crave chocolate on your period, because it contains magnesium! So it makes sense that it would help with post-orgasm cramps too.

I did go on the Pill (Rigevidon) at around the same time, so it could be to do with that as well, but from what I've heard, the Pill hasn't made much difference to most people, or if anything has made the cramping pain worse. So I'm pretty sure it's down to the Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium I've been taking. Whatever it is - I'm not going to stop - it's amazing to enjoy my first pain-free orgasms in years. Thanks so much to whoever suggested it, it really has transformed my life!
Thank you for your message! I know it's old but could you let me know what type/brand of fish oil capsules you take? looking for one that's not fishy... I read reviews everywhere of people that have a fishy taste or burps throughout the day. I don't particularly like fish so if you can recommend a brand that'd be great! Thanks!
I've been taking Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium since I found this post in August - and the pain has totally stopped for me too! I used to get really painful cramps almost every time I had an orgasm, but I've had loads of orgasms in the past couple of months and no pain at all since taking Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium. It's completely transformed my sex life.
Please or to view.
PLease keep me informed of your website - great idea!
Heather  eartheart at westnet ******* dot au
I have had these pains for over 20 years. I have been taking magnesium supplements now for 5 months and my pains are entirely gone. You have to take magnesium with Vitamin D.  I take 200 mg up to 3 times a day and 400 mg before having sex. I really hope this helps many because I have lived with this for so many years.I suggest reading the Miracle of Magnesium. My friend is taking it too and her migraines are a fraction of what they used to be.
Just read that when During the second half of the menstrual cycle, when both estrogen and progesterone are elevated, magnesium plummets.
Hi Kyliecat, well, I'm 8 years late in answering your question (you posted it in 2007; it's 2015), but I'm writing to you "from the future" (haha) to let you know it's ENDOMETRIOSIS. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have had the SAME EXACT THING for years. It took me years & years ON MY OWN to FINALLY figure out what it is. My female OBGYN, for years, would brush me off & attribute to "muscle spasms" & advise I take an Advil. Shame on her. Shame on the medical community for sweeping this under the rug (especially when things like Viagra are such a priority). It's time the countless women suffering SPEAK UP! Visit endofound (dot) com. PS ~ I would highly advise against seeing Dr. Kenneth Levey in NYC for this. My friend had a HORRIBLE experience with him.
Hi everyone. I am 25 and have been dealing with his pain for 10 years now. I have been keeping up with this forum for a while now. I'm here to reach out check in with everyone... Please update and let me know how you're doing. I would also love to follow up with the women who have been taking magnesium and vitamin D... Is your pain still gone? Any updates would be great... Thank you
I am so glad that you discovered this as your cause, but it is absolutely not the cause for many or even most of us.  I personally have had two laparoscopies over ten years apart as well as a colonoscopy and I absolutely do not have endometriosis.  I have had this condition for over 26 years and have been through a gaggle of medical professionals, prescriptions, advice, suggestions.  It is frustrating and incredibly difficult to keep going after this long with no answers or cure.
Your story is my biggest fear.  I keep  holding on that once I hit menopause, this nightmare will be over.  But I have read of several women's accounts that the pains BEGAN with menopause or got worse.  I really cannot imagine this getting any worse other than it occurring all month long instead of two weeks out of the month.
Emily, are you taking the pill in such a way you don't take placebos and just stay on an active dose all days of cycle where you don't get a period?  I have heard another person on this board have success with that too.  I am curious if, almost a year later, you are still pain free.
Hello, Mysteri0uspain!  I am glad to see that you check back periodically also.  I haven't been here for a while, but I do check back fairly regularly.

I am just now starting to take magnesium as a treatment for this, although I do take it for jaw clenching (just not daily).  I am not sure how taking that much 3x a day (as one person suggested) won't give a person rampant runs, but.. maybe that's better than the pain!  I have taken Salmon oil, but not cod liver oil.  I am skeptical about the vitamins only because I have taken good quality supplements on and off forever and I haven't noticed it making a difference. But maybe if it is more regimented..

I am going to turn 50 next year.  I have had this condition for over 25 years.  It's gotten better in one way and worse in others.  Before my third child, I used to get the pain after every single orgasm ever no matter what time of the month it was, but that was my only trigger.  Now, I have two weeks of pain, one week of bleeding, and one pain free week USUALLY.. although some months I am crampy during my pain free week.

I would say this is getting worse, not better.  I am now under the care of a pain specialist and take narcotics for this.  It's that or I have to go towards disability which I do not want to do.  I made this leap when I got triggered at work one time (from a teensy tiny bm that required no effort) and ended up vomiting repeatedly in the work bathroom and taking my shirt off and lying face down on the cold dirty tile.  Now, if I am going in that direction, i try to pain medicate to prevent that, but it's so hard to predict.

That's the other thing. In the past, it was simple.  Orgasm ---> horrific spasms.  Now, they come on for no reason on and off all day and all night for at least one week out of the month.  It runs my whole life.  And it has now really started to affect my sex life because much of the time I am weighing how badly do i really want this vs how much time am i going to spend in the shower writhing in pain and puking?

Having a chronic pain condition for over 25 years is taking its toll on me now and I am starting to feel like I am aging a lot faster than I had been before (I have generally looked and come off as much younger than I am), but this pain has really taken a toll on me.

I'm in the middle of my pain cycle right now, so I am feeling discouraged and dismal.  i really wish more women that saw success would come back on here and keep talking and encouraging those of us still in it.  There are so many unknowns.

i still want to develop a website for this where we can talk more interactively without having things censored.
I check this site about every other day. So far the magnesium and clenching thing really helps! Thank you to those of you that suggested this. Pain isn't totally gone, but is greatly improved. I also used to get the same cramps after I pee each morning about a week or 2 before my period starts. The cramps start a minute or 2 after I pee in the morning. But when I get up, if I sit there 10 minutes, then go to pee, it doesn't hurt. Not sure if that is related to the cramps after sleep orgasm or what?!!   Its almost like I have to wait for my bladder to wake up in the morning before I can pee. Strange. But the week of my period and the week after I can pee right when I get up with no pain whatsoever. Sometimes I wonder if the cramp like pain I feel after the orgasm dreams is actually my bladder?! But if feels exactly like very horrific intense menstural type cramps.
I'd like to hear  more about the magnesium and how you are dosing it.  I am using Ionic Fizz magnesium powder which is, I believe, 200 mg per scoop.  The dosage the original poster suggested is higher than that, but if I take more than one scoop a day it wreaks havoc on my digestive system.  How are you getting past that?  What form of magnesium are you taking?  
You perfectly explained my symptoms, concerns, and possible solutions that I am trying/have tried. I would love to see a website built around this topic and remedies/forums for women who are suffering from this. I just discovered this thread, but I would be inclined to help you in anyway you might need if you choose to make a webpage based around this topic!
I take "County Life"  magnesium caps 300 mg. 1, once a day in the evening. It doesn't bother my digestive system at all, and I have IBS. I also take vitamin D3 as well.
Hello all.  I am back in the middle of my pain cycle again.. it always feels like it comes too soon.  At this point in the game I am looking at the finish line thinking "5-7 more days til my period! Wahoo!"  In my wildest dreams (aside from a possible pregnancy scare), I never saw myself as eagerly excited for my period to come!  

I am curious if any others also have the week of on and off constant cramping (less harsh than the triggered spasms before the week of horrible triggered spasms or if that is a symptom unique to me.  It is a later development.. I didn't always have it.

I am also curious to hear from other women who have dealt with this long term like I have (over 20 years) and to hear more about how this has evolved for you.  My experience and symptoms have definitely changed over the course of years and even decades.
COMMUNITY LEADER
This is a very old thread.  It is helpful to start your own thread to get fresh responses.  You can do that by going to the above 'ask a question' tab.  

good luck
Please or to view.
HERNIA!!!!
Hello ladies
I have been following this thread for the past year. I have been suffering from the exact thing for the last 10 years and have been trying to diagnose myself for the past year, since no doc seems to know what the problem is. today I gor checked for a HERNIA! turns out I have a huge hole in my groin. I think maybe this could be it, and maybe during my period the whole area is more sensitive, hence the extreme pain.
thoughts about this anyone?
Hi guys, can you help yourself and us all by answering these questions to help me draw up a excel spreadsheet to collect this info...... here are my own answers too
1 When do you you get pain a) after sexual arousal, b) after a bowel movement, c) after urinating, d) after exercise, e) all of the above? a) very rarely d)
2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? orgasm or woken up by pain
3 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Orgasm
4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? Most of the time, it used to be 1 week before bleeding and now it can happen any time say about 70% of the orgasms I have
5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes
6 What are ways to reduce pain? Sitting on tennis once pain starts, Taking iboprofen before orgasm or before sleep if I can feel it starting
Extra info.: I know someone that had this pain too and had a hysterectomy and now dont have pain
Update: ive found my answer : My hormones were tested many times over many years they came back normal. got ultrasounds and came back normal. i got a hysto. and they found endometriosis on a ligament that goes from my uterus to my sacrum bone. I now have no pain. its been 4 months since op.
Please or to view.
It's actually been very interesting and useful reading through this very long thread. Particularly as it can feel like such an isolating problem that doctors rarely have solutions for. I hope people continue to read through and post here as more treatment options are reported
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I'm another woman who is extremely relieved to have found this thread!
It's very mysterious that no doctors/specialists come close to what is behind this pain.
I haven't read all 481 (and counting) comment but to the ones I've read so far I can add that:
I am in menopause,
have never been pregnant,
do have fibroids, and
I also have tail bone damage.
I've had the pain for the last 15 years (roughly) which is how long ago I had the tail bone damage (also roughly, so I'm not sure that these coincide).
At the moment I also have a polyp inside my womb which is about to be surgically removed. When the gynaecologist unsuccessfully tried to insert something into my cervix to get a sample I experienced the same pain we are talking about, so I'm a bit nervous about this pending operation since they have no idea what the pain is caused by.
That's all for now. I'll continue to read all the comments :)
Please or to view.
I want to resurrect this topic to see if anyone has found a solution. I have been told that I have both, IBS-C and an Overactive Bladder (which both cause spasms) I was told because the GI, Reprodutive, and Urinary system are so close together one sensation effects the other. I also have not had this all my life. Started maybe 6 years ago. Got fybroids removed (myomectomy), the pain not as intense with medication but non the less did not go away. I kick myself sometimes for not doing the full hysterectomy.
I check this thread almost every single day. I need to get rid of this horrible pain in the middle of the night after dreams. Its excruciating!!
Ok, this sounds crazy, but I found something that helps prevent some of the erotic dreams that cause cramps The nights that I am in the danger zone for having the dreams, I sleep sitting up. When I sleep sitting up, I do not have any erotic dreams/cramps!! I have no idea why, but it works for me.
I plan to post an update, but I am suddenly pain free after decades of suffering with this.  The pain left as I stopped getting my periods.  I am not 100% in menopause yet (but almost) and as my periods dropped off, the pain did as well.  If you read up on my list of previous posts over the years, you will see how horrific my pain was.  I have read of other women whose pain went away by getting a hysterectomy (no period), or went on 28 day birth control pills with no placebo week (also no periods).  I don't think everyone sees this pain go away with menopause, but this does seem to be one of the key solutions.  I realize this doesn't offer much comfort to younger women, but suppressing or eliminating the menstrual cycle seems to be a common cure.  
You likely had endometriosis, which is often mitigated or placed in a sort of remission at lesst temporarily by pregnancy. They are still learning alot about this illness thus far research confirms two points may be of ibterest to you, even/especially years after the sypmtoms died down due to pregnancy: 1) it is leading cause of infertility and other issues; and 2) it is incureable....always.
    Janey-cone-lately advice: even if you've since had children and not had the symptoms rear again, the minute you ever feel a singke symtom arise again in future, go immediately to an endo specialist and show them this stream and explain any current discomfort, anytime, anywhere from belly button to toes, heavy mebstrual bleeding, missed or late period, etc.
    But, sincerest wishes that your remission goes on for life so that you never know the torture of Stage 3 or 4 Endometriosis. And many hopeful congrats you are now enjoying a happy healthy family life with partner and chikdren....what a wonderful gift!
$1million says its endo....only way to know for sure is for an endo soecialist to look inside your pelvis, abdomen, etc. cant be ruled out non-visually.
Def endometriosis
Endometriosis
Endometriosis...it subsides majorly during and after pregnancy...but is incureable so can always cone back
Please or to view.
Ok, so I have been sitting up to sleep during my danger zone nights to avoid the sleep orgasms followed by pain. (Danger zone=About 14 days up until my period starts).Been sleeping sitting up for a few months now. I haven't had an orgasm sitting up in my recliner until last night......I woke at 5 am to a vivid *stange* dream of me humping a corner of a table(What the heck?!!!) and immediately had an orgasm. I woke up and thought oh no, here we go. Usually the cramps start building right away....but last night I barely cramped AT ALL!! I even went in the shower & sat down waiting for the brutal pain to start, and it never did!! I felt just a slight cramping, but no big deal at all. It didn't even trigger my bowels either like it normally does. I did start sweating a bit but nothing like times in the past where I sweat so bad. I couldn't believe the pain didn't happen like it usually does. It was 95% easier than any other sleep orgasm I had in the past. So, I don't know why sitting up works, but it works for me and I will continue to do it when I am in the danger zone time of the month.  (PS...I would never hump a table corner in real life, so weird I dreampt that.)
*Strange
Now I have found 4 that have had this post orgasm pain and then had a hysterectomy and now their pain has stopped. Im getting prepared to have hyterectomy soon and will report back here to let you know if it stops for me.

My pain has slowly increased from 30% post orgasm to everyday now even when i dont have a orgasm and 70% post orgasm

I have had more than three ultrasounds over the last 15 years on my uterus and ovaries have been  seen to be healthy
Has anyone here had a hysterectomy and their post orgasm pain got worse, continued, reduced or stopped?

i got the hysto. and they found endometriosis on a ligament that goes from my uterus to my sacrum bone. I now have no pain. its been 4 months since op.
I am glad you checked back in and are now pain free!
Hi again,

I'm beginning to believe this problem is mostly about hypertonus of the pelvic floor muscles, plus some hormonal component that makes one more prone to muscle cramps for some time before one's period.

I've noticed that when I manage to remain relaxed all through the orgasm (kind of not consciously helping it with muscle contractions, just letting it happen), the pain doesn't hit at all so bad, or maybe not at all. Others have already talked about learning to relax earlier in this thread - hear hear! It's a pity the too tight pelvic floor isn't something that is very often talked about - usually one just hears "your muscles are too weak, do some Kegels" but Kegels are the LAST thing one should do when you have this problem, it only makes it worse. Try to solve the tightness issue first, strengthening comes after that if it's even necessary.

Further reading and very sound steps to take:  https://nutritiousmovement.com/tootightpelvicfloor-2/

Katy's blog and books have really helped me figure this out (as well lots of other really weird things, like why I get a corn in just one particular spot in my foot, and believe it or not, it's kind of related to this problem...), and while the issue is still there (or at least keeps coming back often when I'm stressed), I've started to kind of feel the muscles where the tightness is the worst, and recognizing the tension is already half-way there to letting go of it. The book "Headache in the Pelvis" is also a good one, especially for figuring out the relaxation aspect.

Please or to view.
I hope I am intelligible as english is not my first language.

I had this kind of pain for 5-6 years now. I am 28. Like many of you, I did a complete gynecologist check up and my doctors found nothing. Somehow, today, I have found your community for the first time and I am really happy about all the information there is here!

I wanted to share this site with you, which I also have found tonight after a very painful orgasm:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/conditions/sexual-health/a2275/painful-orgasms-dysorgasmia/
I have exactly what you describe. The pain is horrible.  Not so much a cramp, it’s an intense pain like I’ve been punched in the area. I also break out into a terrible sweat with the pain. This all can lasts several minutes. Do you? Were you able to find an answer? I did find out I had small cysts, but there has to be more.
I believe this is a problem with the pelvic floor muscles specifically during the luteal phase of our cycle.  Someone a few posts up discussed this and shared some insight.  I am going to post a follow up as I don't believe I have checked back in for a few years.
Hi, I’ve also been experiencing this for about five years now and research it every time. I don’t know how I just found this thread, but glad I did! I started taking daily vitamin D supplements and have noticed improvement. I can tell when I haven’t been taking them daily that my body reverts back to its normal, painful routine.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Is it connected to our pelvic floor muscles? I read about learning to relax them and going to pelvic floor physical therapy. Has anyone does this and been successful?
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I am getting so tired of waking in the middle of the night with an orgasm, then having severe cramps/sweating/bowel movements, etc immediately after. So far this happened 4 times already this month. I am at the point I am afraid to go to sleep. What on earth is causing this?!?! SO FED UP!!
Thank god! I absolutely have this too and its been so frustrating. It started happening very occasionally when I was in my early 30's but now in my late 30's it is like clockwork. The pain occurs in the luteal phase of my cycle, from ovulation until my period, sometimes a few days before when I feel the hormone shift. The pain event is almost always the same although the severity increases as I get closer to my period. The pain is triggered by orgasm and sometimes arousal or vigorous sex and lasts for about ten minutes, usually I have to poop, get sweaty, a few times have even felt like I was going to throw up and was salivating a lot. It goes away after about ten minutes and I feel totally normal, almost even better than I did before, like something has relaxed. I also get "the pain" after my first morning pee, sometimes after a bowel movement and sometimes after getting up from sitting  for a while and moving around, but again, only in the luteal phase. I've tried accupuncture, pelvic floor rehabilitation, have had an ultrasound and nothing was found. My periods are actually very easy, not much pain (in fact I'm usually so relieved when it finally arrives because I know I have a good week and a half of pain free orgasms!), and only light/medium heavy bleeding so I don't think endometriosis is very likely. I'm definitely gonna try the magnesium/cod liver/vitamin D combination and will let you know what I find. Please keep updating.
Hi I’ve been taking vitamin D regularly for at least a year now and have noticed SIGNIFICANT improvement. I hope it helps you too!