Period or...miscarriage?

Hi, I have a scenario here that happened to me over this past week and I'm reaching out to see if anyone thinks that I am having a weird period, or that I possibly miscarried.
I started my period right around when it was supposed to start. I woke up the next morning and experienced the heaviest amount of bleeding I have seen since I started my cycle almost 10 years ago. It was still heavy most of the day and into the next day with some intense cramps (that midol really wasn't even touching) and then suddenly, it stopped. My boyfriend thought I may have had a miscarriage and I told him sometimes I do stop bleeding, and I'd let him know when it started again. Well, days went by and I hadn't bled, not even a little bit. Three days after it stopped like that, I've began bleeding very lightly and it is brownish in color so basically I've just been spotting very randomly for two days now and I'm experiencing some (less intense) cramping.
I'm really unsure what to think. When I stopped bleeding and it hit day 3, I was really thinking I could have had a miscarriage as well...we're not currently trying to conceive but we're not using contraceptives. But since I began bleeding, I'm thinking I'm just having a really weird period. I've never experienced something quite like this so that is why I came on here to ask if anybody has experienced something similar or would know why I stopped for so long, and then picked up spotting days later? I plan on talking with my doctor, but I wanted to reach out and see if any women have seen something like this too...
Thanks in advance for any input, I'm just really stumped and looking for answers and hoping that I didn't miscarry.
Also I'm 21 and have had a pretty regular cycle since I was 13, some abnormalities month to month but nothing very serious, if that helps at all.