7729616 tn?1393795492

Problems with period

Hi I have been experiencing problems with my periods. I have had these problems for years and because my doctors have gotten nowhere in finding out what is wrong I have simply just let them continue thinking it's normal.

* My periods come every month and every 21-25 days so they are regular or thereabout regular.
* They last for 5 days but have been known to continue for up to 6 days and stop-start for the 5 days.
* They always consist of dark brown or black blood, never red or bright red blood.
* They are always painful and my current period produced cramps so severe they woke me in the middle of the night, prompting me to get up and put on a sanitary towel as I knew what was happening before it happened.
* The cramps come and go pretty much all the way through my period.

Anything else that would help anyone to help me:

* My mother I believe had polycystic ovary syndrome but I can't be sure of this as I found a printout on polycystic ovary syndrome that was in view at her home.
* I have had two abdnominal ultrasounds done to check for problems with my ovaries and both were negative. The first was done in 2005 and the second was done in 2011.
* I suffer from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis but my latest blood test results are "normal". TSH: 1.87 (0.2-4.2), FT3: 4 (3.1-6.8), FT4: 16.6 (12-22), anti-TG: 103.5 (0-115) and anti-TPO: 33.5 (0-34). I receive T4-only therapy.
* I am on a very good diet and don't drink excessive caffeine.
* I am active most days through working out and taking walks.
* I am petite but not underweight.
* I have not given birth.
* I am not sexually active but I have a partner.
* I do not take contraceptive medication but I was on the patch 6 years ago. This has not helped in solving my dark period blood or cramps. I have no further plans to take contraception as I am not sexually active.
* I have been tested for CA125 for ovarian cancer and for inflammatory markers in endometriosis - these were both negative.

Any help would be appreciated as I am looking to contact my doctor about these problems.

2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
7729616 tn?1393795492
Hi thanks for your reply.

I've had dysmennorrhea ever since I was 15. I was under the impression that it stops when women are in their mid-20s. I'm in my late 20s now so cannot understand why I still have this pain.

Just to clarify, this should have been in my first post but my periods are dark, heavy and thick. They consist of brown blood all the way through the 5 days and I've bled through sanitary pads too.

Two ultrasounds were done to rule out ovarian cysts/endometriosis - in 2005 and 2011. Both were negative.

Blood tests were done at the same time to detect ESR (endometriosis) and CA125 (ovarian cancer). Both were normal.

My mother was diagnosed with PCOS.

I have never been pregnant or on any birth control devices.

I am not sexually active and I haven't seen a gynecologist as I am not sexually active and do not take intra-uterine devices or contraceptives. So do I still need an internal exam even if I am not sexually active? I keep getting invitations to have pap smears and internal exams but when I tell them I haven't had sex they then say I don't have to have an internal.

Doctors will not conduct further tests on me as they have told me the heavy periods will stop and the cramps will go away.

I was diagnosed with iron deficiency in August 2013 but the iron supplements I take have not improved my iron levels that well and I am worried that since my periods are as dark and thick as they are at present, this is going to make my iron levels drop all the more.

Ferritin results have been:

August 2013 - 15 (30-400) Before taking iron supplements.

November 2013 - 22 (30-400) During taking iron supplements.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)
Helpful - 0
563773 tn?1374246539
This condition is called dysmenorrhea. It can be of two types; primary and secondary. The primary dysmenorrhea is seen within 2 years of onset of menstruation and stays for 1 to 2 days of each cycle. The secondary dysmenorrhea is due to pelvic inflammatory disease, fibroids, endometriosis (abnormality of lining of uterus), pelvic tumors, and intra uterine device (like copper-T) etc. You should consult gynecologist for internal examination and other test needed to detect it's cause.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.