Shooting pain through vagina and anus

I have sharp shooting pains through my vagina and anal area.  They only last a few seconds.  The build and peak like labor pains.  Say I'm in the kitchen and I'll feel it coming on so I have time to brace myself.  I'll set down whatever it is i'm holding and get ready.  I have to cross my legs, bend my knees, hold on to something, clench my body tight, and try to breathe.  Thank God it only lasts a few seconds.  My 14 yr. old son witnessed it yesterday and tried to call 911.  I kept signaling him not to.  I knew it wouldn't last long.  My gyno. didn't understand me when I tried to explain it to her.  What is going on?  Has anyone else experienced this kind of unbearable pain?  If the pain lasted even a min. I feel like I would just pass out and die from the pain. Honestly, it's worst than labor pains.  I never know when it's going to occur.  And when it does happend, I have to be standing to get through it, I can't be sitting.  I've also noticed that after the pain passes I'm out of breath and dizzy.  What is going on?  What should I be tested for?  Also, I've had a stabbing pain on my right side of my stomach under my rig cage.  It seems to move around the area.  Cannot take a deep breath in or yawn without tremendous pain.  Does anyone have an idea about what that could be?  Thankyou ahead of time to those who respond to my questions.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have no idea where to post a question but I need help, I’m almost 18 and for well over a year I have been experiencing extreme pain down below after sex and before, it’s hard to explain the pain but it’s like I have a water infection and when you have this infection when you go for a a wee it really stings it’s about 5 times worse than that but it stays like that for around an hour, my partner isn’t big I have been asked that but no that’s not it, whilst it goes in it hurts a lot too but I don’t understand how, also it’s not just during this that it hurts, I could wake up in the middle of the night with massive shooting pains which make me want to cry they’re so bad, I’ve tried sleeping wearing nothing as I thought it may be this but I wear very loose fitted knickers, I’ve visited a doctor and been to the hospital but they say there is nothing wrong with me, I want to be reassured as I know there is something wrong, but you can’t always see the problem, I’ve been told it’s in my head but it’s gotten to the point I don’t want to do anything with my partner anymore because the pain is so bad.
Helpful - 1
I can't believe this is a 7 yrs old thread and no real answer, let alone remedy, has been brought to light. There are a list of things this could be - from IBM to Mittelschmerz (as last person to comment stated she had). I, personally have been diagnosed with Ovarian Cysts, PCOS, IBS, Chrones Disease, PID and more. However, it's always a different diagnosis with each new doctor and new medications with each new diagnosis and NOTHING has worked yet. However, my new doctor suspects it may be spasms of an organ or muscle in the pelvic area. Being it was just a quick conversation about a possible diagnosis, I can't remember the exact name of the condition - I'must so near giving up on a remedy and diagnosis that I only partially pay attention to the doctors anymore. This is the 8th gynecologist I've been to seeking answers. She's working with an endocrinologist on my case. When I get home I'll look through the medical papers for the name of the syndrome and post it up here.
Ladies, good luck with getting a remedy and God Bless. My heart goes out to all of you. I understand the pain your going through and you will all be in my prayers and thoughts.
Helpful - 1
I too suffer terribly with this. It's known as Mittelschmerz. My doctor prescribes me Naprozen. Hope this helps.
Helpful - 1
The past few days I have  shooting pains but its like the pain is constantly there and then every so often It goes and then comes back , its very uncomfortable and its nothing to do with my period ,has this happened to anyone ??
Helpful - 1
Your absolutely correct about the doctors not responding to this problem.  I was having that pain as well I was trying to find a solution online hoping I can get an answer before I go and see a doctor and they can't find the answer to my problem then wasting my money to pay them even if you have insurance there the copay part you have to fork out.  Sometime I wonder what are doctors really for?  When they can't help us in finding a cure for our pain. They make all that money for nothing.  It is frustrating sometime.
Helpful - 1
I have this issue after endometrosis, hysterectomy with ovary and tube removal. It was an emergency surgery and I was in icu after with severe sepsis. Now I have rheumatoid arthritis. After all the trauma my body has been through I discovered a pelvic floor therapist in my area. She says I have tight pelvic floor muscles due to all the trauma my abdomen has been through. I have push out exercises I have to do at home and at my appointments she gives my pelvic muscles stimulation through an "electronic tampon" is how I describe it. She also uses warm ultrasound to push into my tummy area to help break up scar tissue. I can say I feel a difference. I haven't been going that long so I do still have these sharp pains as you've described. But I am very optimistic about the treatment.
Helpful - 1
I have the same thing did you ever find out what this was it only comes during my period time
I have got these pains for years and yes, it stops me in my tracks and its quick.  Sometime a couple stabs at a time.  And then it passes and I breathe again.  I've never understood what it is.  It's like a flash of lightening strikes up the front or back.  I can't related it to anything, ever.  But the facial expression I get, when I'm with people that will ask what's wrong.  But you freeze in that moment of pain.  I have yet to figure out what that is.  
Helpful - 1
Not sure why it posted with all the astricts ...  I wasn't swearing.  Hmmmm.  Hope you can still read it.
I just got this just after intercourse. At first it felt like my uterus balled up (I have 8 kids) even though I didnt climax-but then I got sharp hot shooting pains in my breast and down my abdomen into the vaginal muscles. Felt a lot like sharp gas pains only in the vaginal muscles and up my abdomen. My cervix felt like it was being torn open almost like I was forcably dilating. Im not pregnant and had my period first week of this month. I have bad ovulation pain and this is NOT that. I worry about fibroids or endo with pains like this. Im in a hot bath but theyre still there just not as intense. It's so awful!
Helpful - 1
I have this too! It never happened to me until my 30s and its awful.  It feels like an intense pressure, kind of like labor pain, and lasts about 5 minutes for me.  I literally will crumble to the floor in a fetal type position, clenching my body and forcing myself to breath.  I had it happen in the car before and that was awful.  It comes before my period, sometimes during, and occasionally during ovulation.  I wonder what it is.
Helpful - 1
I need help as well I've been having these pains for about 24 hours I get really dizzy as well.   Pain pills won't even stop it.   And I'm pospardom of a c section 6 months and have ovarian cyst help
Helpful - 1
I have the same pain, but its usually pre-menstrual.  I always thought it was ovulation.  It feels like a knife stabbing through me and only last briefly...but it does not go unnoticed.
Helpful - 1
I would get a second opinion if I were you. I had the same pains and it turned out to be a large fibroid that’s putting pressure on my bladder/anal canal. Sometimes fibroids can also put pressure on arteries and that causes shooting pains to other parts of the body like legs and for me my left abdominal area. It could be this or something else but you definitely want to look into it and not listen to one of the “idk” doctors
Helpful - 0
sounds like it might be Proctaglia Fugax.  google it.  I would recommend you see a gastoenterologist to rule out other health problems.
Helpful - 0
i still cant believe everyone has different experiences similar to hers with no remedy or actuality as to what it is and its 2018 hah. i have these pains in my vagina or in that area some times it starts there and moves to the anus and this happens when im on my period sometimes after. sometimes it hurts while trying to push stool out and im so scared to consult a doctor at 15 idk y.
Helpful - 0
I joined a few facebook groups with keyword being pudendal. And from what I am gathering a lot of people with this pain have pudendal neuralgia, pudendal neuropathy, pudendal entrapement and levator ani. Many gynecologists don't know what these are but I had to bring in a few links to web pages and printouts from pudendal neuralgia pages and it educated my dr and they are now trying to get with other experts to try and get me a diagnosis and some help. I have high hopes that I will oneday have some type of relief.
Helpful - 0
I had the same problem and went to the er many times due to it peaking and lasting up to 20 minutes of straight agonizing pain. The only thing that helped was a muscle relaxer specifically for the lower abdomen muscles. I got it from my gastroenterologist and it takes about 15 minutes to kick it. But I have noticed if my back has been hurting it's more common. Probably the pinching or compression of a nerve network in the perineum area. I for one need to work on strengthen in my my pelvic floor because my gynecologist said that's what it sounded like to her. But definitely try to get on hyoscyamine. That's the only thing that helps with the pain.
Helpful - 0
I've had similar pains.  It could be muscle spasms . I had that terrible pain under my rib n long story short it ended up being s HUGE had bubble....
Helpful - 0
Endometriosis & pudendal neuralgia
Helpful - 0
I also have pains in my vagina, anus, stomach and lower back where my kidney would be.  They pains feel like labor and sometimes last for an hour at a time.  I am in suboxone which makes you constipated and I believe that may be what is causing the cramping problem. However this past week I started taking laxative to help pass stool which has been hard to pass and has often times cut my any on the way out.  The laxative has made me go just a little at a time a few times this past week however they also cause me stomach pain so I only took two every other day.  I worry that I may have pelvic inflammatory disease but I believe that gas built up from constipation is much more likely the cause. If anyone can provide more information on this matter I would be interested in hearing it
Helpful - 0
i thought i was the only one experiencing this.... its like a sharp knife being cut through from my vagina to my *** and i cant even breathe like i really have to close my eyes and hold on to something... huhuhuhuhu
Helpful - 0
I too have the sharp pains in my rectum mostly around my period! I have IBS and i have been researching like crazy! i have found a lot of forums on IBS where the people who have IBS have this same symptom. I believe it is the IBS that causes this.
Helpful - 0
I had this issue several years ago, turned out I had an anal fissure! Horrible problem (and embarrassing) but I was referred to a GI surgeon who was able to eat it to heal without surgery.
Helpful - 0
I have the exact same issue and it’s been going on for years but has progressed the past year. I had a laparoscopic done because I was told I have endometriosis come to find out that wasn’t the issue. I’ve seen several doctors and just saw a urogynecologist today. I also have bladder problems. I have yet to get any real answers. It is all exhausting and has effected my daily life. I also have a referral to see a GI doctor. Have you found out what your symptoms are from yet? I hope we both get relief soon! Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Even I am experiencing this nasty thing. I am not even sure if I should consult a gastro specialist or a gyn. May be gases makes it worse. Although one thing brings immediate relief is pressing your perenial hard.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.