Shooting pain through vagina and anus

I have sharp shooting pains through my vagina and anal area.  They only last a few seconds.  The build and peak like labor pains.  Say I'm in the kitchen and I'll feel it coming on so I have time to brace myself.  I'll set down whatever it is i'm holding and get ready.  I have to cross my legs, bend my knees, hold on to something, clench my body tight, and try to breathe.  Thank God it only lasts a few seconds.  My 14 yr. old son witnessed it yesterday and tried to call 911.  I kept signaling him not to.  I knew it wouldn't last long.  My gyno. didn't understand me when I tried to explain it to her.  What is going on?  Has anyone else experienced this kind of unbearable pain?  If the pain lasted even a min. I feel like I would just pass out and die from the pain. Honestly, it's worst than labor pains.  I never know when it's going to occur.  And when it does happend, I have to be standing to get through it, I can't be sitting.  I've also noticed that after the pain passes I'm out of breath and dizzy.  What is going on?  What should I be tested for?  Also, I've had a stabbing pain on my right side of my stomach under my rig cage.  It seems to move around the area.  Cannot take a deep breath in or yawn without tremendous pain.  Does anyone have an idea about what that could be?  Thankyou ahead of time to those who respond to my questions.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have the same pain, but its usually pre-menstrual.  I always thought it was ovulation.  It feels like a knife stabbing through me and only last briefly...but it does not go unnoticed.
Helpful - 1
I have no idea where to post a question but I need help, I’m almost 18 and for well over a year I have been experiencing extreme pain down below after sex and before, it’s hard to explain the pain but it’s like I have a water infection and when you have this infection when you go for a a wee it really stings it’s about 5 times worse than that but it stays like that for around an hour, my partner isn’t big I have been asked that but no that’s not it, whilst it goes in it hurts a lot too but I don’t understand how, also it’s not just during this that it hurts, I could wake up in the middle of the night with massive shooting pains which make me want to cry they’re so bad, I’ve tried sleeping wearing nothing as I thought it may be this but I wear very loose fitted knickers, I’ve visited a doctor and been to the hospital but they say there is nothing wrong with me, I want to be reassured as I know there is something wrong, but you can’t always see the problem, I’ve been told it’s in my head but it’s gotten to the point I don’t want to do anything with my partner anymore because the pain is so bad.
Helpful - 1
I can't believe this is a 7 yrs old thread and no real answer, let alone remedy, has been brought to light. There are a list of things this could be - from IBM to Mittelschmerz (as last person to comment stated she had). I, personally have been diagnosed with Ovarian Cysts, PCOS, IBS, Chrones Disease, PID and more. However, it's always a different diagnosis with each new doctor and new medications with each new diagnosis and NOTHING has worked yet. However, my new doctor suspects it may be spasms of an organ or muscle in the pelvic area. Being it was just a quick conversation about a possible diagnosis, I can't remember the exact name of the condition - I'must so near giving up on a remedy and diagnosis that I only partially pay attention to the doctors anymore. This is the 8th gynecologist I've been to seeking answers. She's working with an endocrinologist on my case. When I get home I'll look through the medical papers for the name of the syndrome and post it up here.
Ladies, good luck with getting a remedy and God Bless. My heart goes out to all of you. I understand the pain your going through and you will all be in my prayers and thoughts.
Helpful - 1
I too suffer terribly with this. It's known as Mittelschmerz. My doctor prescribes me Naprozen. Hope this helps.
Helpful - 1
The past few days I have  shooting pains but its like the pain is constantly there and then every so often It goes and then comes back , its very uncomfortable and its nothing to do with my period ,has this happened to anyone ??
Helpful - 1
Your absolutely correct about the doctors not responding to this problem.  I was having that pain as well I was trying to find a solution online hoping I can get an answer before I go and see a doctor and they can't find the answer to my problem then wasting my money to pay them even if you have insurance there the copay part you have to fork out.  Sometime I wonder what are doctors really for?  When they can't help us in finding a cure for our pain. They make all that money for nothing.  It is frustrating sometime.
Helpful - 1
I have this issue after endometrosis, hysterectomy with ovary and tube removal. It was an emergency surgery and I was in icu after with severe sepsis. Now I have rheumatoid arthritis. After all the trauma my body has been through I discovered a pelvic floor therapist in my area. She says I have tight pelvic floor muscles due to all the trauma my abdomen has been through. I have push out exercises I have to do at home and at my appointments she gives my pelvic muscles stimulation through an "electronic tampon" is how I describe it. She also uses warm ultrasound to push into my tummy area to help break up scar tissue. I can say I feel a difference. I haven't been going that long so I do still have these sharp pains as you've described. But I am very optimistic about the treatment.
Helpful - 1
I have the same thing did you ever find out what this was it only comes during my period time
I have got these pains for years and yes, it stops me in my tracks and its quick.  Sometime a couple stabs at a time.  And then it passes and I breathe again.  I've never understood what it is.  It's like a flash of lightening strikes up the front or back.  I can't related it to anything, ever.  But the facial expression I get, when I'm with people that will ask what's wrong.  But you freeze in that moment of pain.  I have yet to figure out what that is.  
Helpful - 1
Not sure why it posted with all the astricts ...  I wasn't swearing.  Hmmmm.  Hope you can still read it.
I just got this just after intercourse. At first it felt like my uterus balled up (I have 8 kids) even though I didnt climax-but then I got sharp hot shooting pains in my breast and down my abdomen into the vaginal muscles. Felt a lot like sharp gas pains only in the vaginal muscles and up my abdomen. My cervix felt like it was being torn open almost like I was forcably dilating. Im not pregnant and had my period first week of this month. I have bad ovulation pain and this is NOT that. I worry about fibroids or endo with pains like this. Im in a hot bath but theyre still there just not as intense. It's so awful!
Helpful - 1
I have this too! It never happened to me until my 30s and its awful.  It feels like an intense pressure, kind of like labor pain, and lasts about 5 minutes for me.  I literally will crumble to the floor in a fetal type position, clenching my body and forcing myself to breath.  I had it happen in the car before and that was awful.  It comes before my period, sometimes during, and occasionally during ovulation.  I wonder what it is.
Helpful - 1
I need help as well I've been having these pains for about 24 hours I get really dizzy as well.   Pain pills won't even stop it.   And I'm pospardom of a c section 6 months and have ovarian cyst help
Helpful - 1
PAIN RELIEF FOR PROCTAGLIA FUGAX - TRY THIS - it worked for my daughter!

Hi there,
I'm posting this to help everyone who helped us on this forum to figure out what this is and what can help with the pain.  My daughter is 12 and has had this since she was 7. It hurt for many years (at night, in spasms) inside her vaginal area, and then recently moved to her rectal area (inside her body - never on the outside).

She has excruciating spasms in the evenings from about 8pm until she finally falls asleep around 1:30am.  After much researching and many (useless) doctor's visits we finally convinced an emergency room doctor to give us the medication that is described at the bottom of the wikipedia page for Proctaglia Fugax, which is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fugax

We are in Canada, and on the wikipedia page the medication that is recommended for Proctalgia Fugax is called "Hyoscyamine (lozenge)".

After showing the wikipedia page to the emergency room doctor, we got him to prescribe us some of this for the pain (he prescribed only 1-2 days worth as he is an ER doc and even that was hard to get him to do). The pharmacy told us later that this is not available in Canada, but we got "Buscopan 10mg / Hyoscine Butylbr 10mg" prescribed instead.  (Which i assume is the Canadian version).

We tried it last night when the pains started to come again and IT WORKED!!!!  I have tried all sorts of pain relievers and muscle relaxants with her to try to help her when this came on and NOTHING worked before this. What a godsend!!!!  

Today I called the pharmacy to get them to provide us with more (thinking they'd have to contact her regular doctor and get a prescription from her now).

They told me that for this medication, A PRESCRIPTION IS NOT REQUIRED.  Apparently it is an over the counter medicine, so you do not even need a prescription from a doctor for it.  You can also find out more on their website here -- http://www.buscopan.com/

I have absolutely nothing to do with this company or medication at all - i just want to pass this information on to everyone since it seems there are so many people suffering with this so badly.

I know that this is just a remedy for the pain that she is having and now we need to work on the root cause of this. I believe it is related to poor diet and so i am going to get her to work with a nutritionist to significantly improve her diet as a next step to see if we can get rid of the need for this altogether. However, I am so relieved that she doesn't have to experience what she has experienced (crossing my fingers that this keeps working).

If you are having this problem - please see if this works for you... good luck and thankyou to everyone who posts on places like this for helping people put together the clues to help them figure out and solve medical issues. Don't rely on doctors - you are in charge of your own health - use them as one of the tools in your arsenal.  

happy mom
Helpful - 0
If u still need buscopan I can provid u as ve been suffering from those pain around 15 years nothing help but buscopan I've got it as repeated prescription and I'm not use it so I can send u if u want .
I suggest a Gastrointerologist. The pain you describe sounds really bad and there is a reason, you just need a specialist to help you find it. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon.
Helpful - 0
I have had similar pains as the rest of you. For just over a year now i have had shooting pains in my vagina and abdominal pains, both sides and sometimes in the middle. There is no pattern to it and can happen at anytime and anywhere.

i went to my doctor who gave me an internal examination and said that my ovaries were 'slightly raised' (whatever that means) and said i should go for an ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts.

I was then called back again to have a smear test and was tested for chlamydia and any other STI's. The results were negative.

I am waiting for my ultrasounds (pelvic and internal) and then i go back to the doctor after a week for the results.

I have no idea what this could be, so any ideas from anyone would be greatly apprieciated.
Helpful - 0
I have had this problem for years. I believe it to be Proctalgia Fugax. It is a severe, cramp-like pain, deep in the anal canal. It usually lasts for a few minutes, but can sometimes last for up to half an hour. You may feel a need to defecate urgently, but nothing happens. I may even make you feel dizzy, or give you a headache. It is a mysterious condition; no-one knows what causes it. but it is probably a spasm of the rectal or pelvic floor muscles. There are various methods of relieving the pain: putting pressure on the perineum, by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball. Sit in hot water or alternatively, apply some ice. A hot drink may give some relief. I take 2 liguid Advils, walk around a bit and then go back to bed, when I can. As laying down makes it worse. The problem with medications that you could take from a doctor is that the episode is likely to be over before the drugs become active. I had a terrible episode this morning, and my husband wanted to call 911. So, I am looking up the info, to show him that it is not something to call 911 about. I usually have the episodes in the middle of the night.
Helpful - 0
I was just reading online about an experimental therapy for this - don't know if you could get one of these to help, but it might work.  Here is the quote:

"One of the newer treatments, involves using an asthma inhaler of the beta-adrenergic type such as salbutamol. This relaxes smooth muscle in the bronchi in the lung, has a rapid onset of action, and is rarely associated with significant side effects at normal doses. The muscle in the lower bowel is similar smooth muscle. A recent German study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology involved a double-blind cross-over trial to evaluate the efficacy of inhaled salbutamol and the duration of symptoms in patients with proctalgia fugax.

The study showed that inhalation of 2 puffs of salbutamol shortened pain attacks in patients with severe proctalgia fugax compared with placebo (dummy treatment).

Compared to the placebo, salbutamol inhalation shortened the duration of severe pain, especially in patients having prolonged attacks. There were only 16 people involved in this study so the the results need to be confirmed in larger studies.

The Medic8
Helpful - 0
I know exactly what you're talking about, it's an intense shooting pain that starts in my crotch and moves up toward my stomach.  It never lasts too long and I don't think it comes and goes in connection with my cycle.  One time it was so strong I actually jumped and the person across the table from me just thought I was having some kind of episode.  I have also noticed heavier and more painful (crampy) than normal periods.  Endometriosis runs in my family although I doubt this has any connection to the shooting pains.  I'm making an appt. but somehow I worry my doc is going to look at me like I'm crazy.
Helpful - 0
I know that pain, It's took me a few months to realize it is usually about 14 days after my period.Last month I was late 2 weeks and I hadn't had that pain yet until then and what happened next? I had my period exactly 2 weeks later.
It hurts like crazy and can't explain it to anyone. Mine starts usually on the right but has happened on the left.It starts like gas build up or something then
travles down my side to vaginal and anal area and I think I need to go to the rest room.It doubles me over and I have had to pull over on the side of the road before, and actualy have to breath through it. It last about five minutes or more.
It is a building pain and presure type episode.
Helpful - 0
I agree with you, its just gas! Gas hurts! I get the shooting pains on occasion, just "let it go" and you will feel better!
Helpful - 0
I don't think its gas.Cause I don't have gas when I get these pains?

Its a VERY SHARP pain though my vagina/anal area shoots up

It hurts so bad. It usually only lasts few seconds/min.
Sometimes it might last a little longer.
I got it yesterday.
When I get it I can't sit or stay still.

I really wish I knew what it was.
When you go to the doc let me know what they say.

I thought I was the only one.
Helpful - 0
I got this problem once about two weeks ago. It was while I was on my period. I had such bad pains in my butt it hurt to bad to go to the bathroom.. my sister said it happened to her once to, also while she was on her period. This is the only time its happened, and why to I only get the shooting pains during my period? Also when I'm off my period my right lower side kind of hurts.
Does anyone know whats happening?
I'm only 15
Helpful - 0
I suffer the same shooting pains like electric shocks through the vagina and anus and into my stomach.I do suffer with intestinal problems and thought that it may be related to that ,as mine normally occurs when i have cramps in my lower left intestine .but on reading your comments im thinking it may be something to do with ovaluation ? Idont thinkit is wind/gas as i can suffer with trapped wind on occassion and  the pain is different
Helpful - 0
I also get these intense waves of sharp shotting pain in my vaginal area- it is like right where the "lips" are- the pain is so strong it feels like contractions to me. I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer and had surgery. I have had these pains for years, however it has gotten worse lately. I will see my gynecologist in 2 weeks for my cancer follow up- I will ask her about it and let you all know.  
Helpful - 0
I have those shooting pain in the vaginal and anus too, just that it happens sometimes when I pee. I don't know whether it is just gas/wind or something else that I should be concern about. Any feedback will be much welcomed. Thanks.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.