Swimming on my Period

Hi, I'm 14 and I've been having my period for years. Only I've never used a Tampon before. I tried once but I was too nervous and my bestfriend kept pestering me so I gave up before I even tried to put it in completely.
My boyfriend invited me to go swimming with him, his family, and his church on Wednesday(Todays Sunday) and in a supposed to start my period Monday. I've already told him I'll be there.
Any tips for a Tampon use for the first time or anything of the sorts?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there and welcome.  Well, I like the brand Platex with the plastic applicator.  They call them 'gentle glide' and I'd say that is accurate.  It doesn't 'stick' on the way in.  I'd buy the slimmest one they sell which might be regular or there might be one even thinner than that.  Then you just need to relax. RELAX.  You should be able to do it on the toilet.  You insert until you have the whole top part in (should be able to feel this) and then pull that top part out.  (tips of fingers on the thicker 'head' at the bottom, insert, keep finger tips on it and slide it down and it comes right off leaving the tampon I place).  Then the strings hang out.  You just have to go for it and not over think it.  

good luck
You'll have to play with finding a position that doesn't feel uncomfortable for you.  Playtex suggests standing with one foot on the toilet seat/lid.  I know other people suggest different positions.  So, don't be discouraged if one doesn't work for you.  

I also agree with specialmom: relax.  If you don't, it will be more difficult.