When my iud was taken out there was also a mucus plug!

So I just had my iud out. My doctor pulled it out with a little resistance. When it came loose there was a gush of blood and when he held up the iud he looked confused. There was a mucus plug wrapped around it. I feel like I'm not making sense here. Why would I have a mucus plug when I'm not pregnant?
Did the doctor have you do a pregnancy test after he came up with the mucus plug?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  Well, I'd be concerned about infection.  Women do sometimes get infection with IUD.  I'd not guess pregnancy as much.  They could have swabbed the mucus and examined it.  Also remember that IUD's have hormones involved often and that also can cause excess mucus for some women.  anyway, what did your doctor say?  If you didn't ask at the time, I think you should be able to call and ask this question!