Why have I been bleeding almost nonstop for months?

I am 25 years old. A year and a half ago, my periods began to get off track. I started skipping periods for several months at a time. Then, I had several occurrences of random sharp abdominal pains that lasted around an hour before steadily fading away. November 26th of 2020, after skipping my period for 3 months, I started bleeding. I have bled almost nonstop since. I went to a doctor where they performed a pap smear and std testing and everything came back normal. The doctor prescribed birth control because she felt it may be hormone related. However, after a brief 5 day respite, I have once again started bleeding and am on week 4 of taking the pill. I've gained a significant amount of weight and I am constantly tired and in pain. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm a bit surprised the doctor didn't order an ultrasound. In your shoes, I'd ask for an ultrasound and if they will do it, an MRI of the uterus (to check for fibroids), and ask that they do the lab work to assess your hormone levels, and maybe do some thyroid testing (to check your weight fluctuation). If your regular ob/gyn is not on top of all of this, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh man, you've had a period since November?  That's too long sweetie.  Is it like spotting?  Or full on filling a pad?  You need to talk to your doctor again.  Perhaps the pill you are on is not the right choice?  Or you may have fibroids?  Some women do better on an IUD for bleeding.  When is the last time you talked to your doctor?

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community