blood vessels popping in fingers

in the last two weeks i have had three blood vessels just pop in my fingers. i was not doing anything out of the ordinary. what could be causing this? should there be a cause for concern?
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I have had broken blood vessels in my fingers and the bottoms of my feet infrequently for many years.  For some reason, I was having a lot of broken blood vessels in my fingers early in Oct. & Nov. (one every few days) I thought it was due to the unusually cold weather and my body not being used to it.  It starts with a cramp and then the finger starts to discolor.  This continues for many days and is extremely sensitive to cold. I had to turn up my heat several degrees in my home because my fingers would get so bitterly cold and I also had to constantly put them under warm water many times in the course of a day.  The discoloration could last as long as a week.  I have Raynaud's disease but haven't read about this particular issue.
It is frustrating and a bit scary.  I'm wondering about seeing a vascular specialist if such exists. I've seen rheumatologists but they haven't been much help.
I too have this seemingly common problem, it's usually my left hand, I'm right handed, mine stay swollen for weeks with a hard blue vein lump, my finger feels swollen and right, painfully to bend, when the do pop it's like a big purple bruise instead of the blue vein swelling, I'm 46 healthy, on her, had these for 6 + years now
Sounds like what I got. They say that Achenback Syndrome clears up in one or two weeks. I have had this for about three months. Otherwise am in good health. Haven't found the answer even though I went to the doctor. Don't know if individual doctors have the anwers anymore.
i have this a lot my doctor sent me from his office straight to hospital i was taken in to vascular dept straight away wired up to machine i see coukld see all my veins on the screen, they give me a blood thinner incase it caused a clot, but the vascular came back clear.
Hello, I have looked at all the information from the past seven years, and found the common denominator , Low blood pressure ! I have seen my doctor today, suffering from light headiness when rising from sitting position ,had high blood pressure for years , but through medication blood pressure now very low ! had the same problem as most of you! I do suffer from fibromyalghia , but, this is defiantly to do with low blood pressure! Same painful sting in finger then left with a bruise ,had two in four days!
Me thinks I have lost all faith in doctors now, seems they are just the go between of seeing the 'specialist' who seems to know even less, and leaves you with a blank stare, adding ,'Make  an appointment to see me in three months to see if there is any change!')
This is my first post, and I'm like most of you:  62 year-old female, 5'1", 112 lbs. had thyroid cancer and a complete thyroidectomy.  One symptom I've noticed that began shortly after I started having the popped blood vessels in my hands 4-5 years ago is that if I am even a tiny bit cold, when I get in the warm shower, it is very painful on my hands.  It feels like my hands are getting 3rd degree burns.  I am also on low-level estradiol to help control cyclical migraines.  I do not think I have Reynaud's Syndrome, as I do not notice my hands turning white when they are cold.  My blood pressure is very slightly low, but when I was younger it was around 80/60 for many years.  Last week I leaned slightly on one hand.  Now the whole palm is painful and bruised.
Did you get nose bleeds all the time when you were young? if so you should look into the possibility that you have HHT. Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia.
Popped a vein like others here first in my right thumb a few months ago. Short sharp burst of pain, like some kind of insect bite (none around), then blue swelling, dark bruising and it ached. Slight numbness, loss of flexibility. Not even doing anything strenuous, just picking up a pan on the stove (not even a heavy pan). At first thought I'd burned it, then the swelling and bruising started. Swelling lasted only a few hours but the bruising lasted days. My thumb looked like it had been slammed in a door or something, but after the initial pain faded it no longer hurt at all.

I'm 50, female, not overweight but not in great shape either. Not vegetarian, get lots of Vitamin C (tho Vitamin D might be lacking again after the winter -- I live north.) No smoking, drink occasionally (1 or 2 a month), drink coffee, menopausal.

So today I had another one go in my left foot, beneath the middle toe. Ache, snap feeling like a bite or a very sharp cramp and then swelling, bruising and loss of flex. I was just sitting. Doing absolutely nothing. No bugs, nothing around (tho my feet were bare). Base of my toe is now purple and tender and hurts to walk on but I'm sure by tomorrow it will be fine. Weird happenings, but glad (I guess) to find I'm not alone. Seems odd, yet sort of benign, at least so far. Hurts like heck for a short time anyway, but then fades.
Funny. I got mine whilst I was holding the pan cooking something?
A blood vessel would pop every so often at one of my fingers for years (sometimes without doing anything, other times clapping or opening a jar or holding on to something tight).  An intense pressure would occur, then Pow, it would rupture and hurt like the devil.  Put ice on it and the bruising would disappear in an hour or so.  After a while would apply ice as soon as the pressure began and it actually stopped the rupture.  About 4 years ago, discovered I was gluten sensitive.  Gave it up and only on rare occasion does the rupture occur.  (I should add that at one point, the ruptures started on my toes - ouch).  Also had to give up beer as that caused ruptures within a day or 2.  
I've also experienced vessels popping In my fingers and even a toe. Feels like a bee sting then turns blue (then purple after two days). is swollen , stinging, stiff and painful right away.I know there is a name for this, I found it years ago but now can't recall. I popped a vessel in my finger two days ago while I sat, doing nothing but waiting for a smoothie I had ordered with my daughter. I am 44, slim, blood pressure is controlled with meds, cholesterol may be a bit elevated,  i do not have Reynaldo's syndrome, I am tired a lot though and seem to always be wanting in the energy department, I have recently begun taking fish oil again but haven't always. This has gone on for several years. Seems that the medical community hasn't caught on to this as a condition yet.
It's interesting, isn't it? A condition that so many of us have (including myself, a 39 years old female), while the medical literature says it is extremely uncommon and no GP has ever seen it before (I have shown mine to a GP and they said they had never seen it before). As for most, I guess, bruising starts spontaneously or when handling an object (e.g., turn a screwdriver), is restricted to the inside of the hand and mostly occurs in one of the fingers, but not the thumb. No sign of prolonged bleeding or easy bruising elsewhere than the hand.
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
This happens to me. I had it a lot a few years ago, then it stopped. Now, out of nowhere, it's just started up again. Usually around the DIP joint on an index or middle finger. If I am quick enough when I feel the tingle, I can raise my hand above my head and sometimes stop the burst from happening. Currently my right index finger is blue, and it hurts quite a bit.

41, trans woman, otherwise fit and healthy.
I find this interesting.  I too have the broken blood vessels in hands and feet.  I am 57, but this has been an issue my whole life.  I am thin,  low  blood pressure and have cold hands and feet.  Occasionally Reynauds.
I came here to see if anyone could confirm my suspicion. I think there is a hormonal link. When I started using progesterone cream,  if became MUCH worse.  Started happening everyday,  they were bigger and darker. Stopped using the cream and it returned to my normal amount. now, a couple years later, I've tried Clary Sage essential oils for hormonal relief.... guess what's happening again?  Hmmmmm so I am thinking this is estrogen and progesterone related.
I didn't read all of these comments,  but the ones I read were NOT men. maybe I am on to something here.  
My mother has same issue.
I have been getting the popped blood vessels in my hands since I was 18 and I am now 37.  Healthy female, low blood pressure.  And again, no doctor has been able to answer anything about this.  My question is if we just have weak blood vessels in our hands does this mean our vessels are weak in other parts of our bodies?  Also, is there anything we can do to strengthen our blood vessels?  I read one thing about a year ago from a eastern doctor saying to take collagen to improve blood vessels.  I think I have been getting them less since taking the collagen but it still happens from time to time.  I'd just like to know if this is a sign for something else maybe being a concern  later on?  Thanks for the info
Vitamin C also strengthens blood vessels
Please or to view.
Good to know I'm not alone or some kind of freak.  I am 53 yr old, white, female, low blood pressure all my life and have had problems with popping blood vessels in my hands & feet since I was in my early 20's.  I've been slim & overweight and had this happen.  Some times my fingers hurt and I know the pop will happen if I do anything with my hands.  I have Raynaud's Syndrome & for years have though I've thought I have autoimmune stuff (painful joints, periods of exhaustion, brain fog, tremors) going on but tests all come back negative
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Well, I had to joint this site just to add - I am another! And from what I have read very, very typical - Number 1. Low blood pressure, Number 2. Not overweight (some would say thin, I think I'm fine), Number 3. Fairly fit and active. Still I have these strangely popping veins in my toes and fingers, usually after a very slight activity - today it was opening a tin of paint. Definitely a subject for research if there are any medical students out there! Although painful and unsightly, my main concern is that this may be a sign of something worse - like leukemia. Having some blood tests this week.
I think you are completely right!!  As many of us here, I am healthy, slim and I eat a lot of veggies fruit and fish, I eat red meat once a week.  My blood pressure is between low and normal.  But yesterday, before my vein in my ring finger popped I had a suddenly black vision when rising from sitting position that surprised me.  
I am one more of the club.  I am 42, slim and healthy, I swim one hour four times per week.  I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, fish and read meat once per week.  Blood pressure between low and normal.  The vein in the inside of my finger ring just pop.  The same as many of us, was painful like a bee sting.  and I could see a purple lump.  After 30 minutes I have a bruise bigger than a 1 cm in my finger.  My worry is that this could happen in other parts of the body.  it is nice to know that I am not the only one with this.  It is just seems, that nobody has paid attention to this.   For what I read it seems that it has something to do with low pressure and maybe hormones.  This is very interesting.
40 YO female.....like most I felt the stinging and pain and then the redness and tenderness occurred. This is the second time this has ever happened. The first time was about 10 years ago. I'm healthy.  Good BP. I take boxing 2-3 times a week. And I'm vegetarian. Being VEG seems to be what a lot if us have in common. Hmmmmm seems like a lack of something to me. I will find out. I do not like to take any medicine.  If I can find out more info, I will come back and post. Take care all. H
What I've found so far....still looking

http://www.askanaturopath.com/faqs/broken-capillaries/p/464
Add me to this list:  41 years old, thin, fairly fit, no meds, low-ish blood pressure, get dizzy upon standing (all my life), GF diet due to blood tested intolerance,  my veins do protrude a bit when tired or hot in hands, arms and legs and I have 3 kids (5, 8, 10).  I was washing dishes and felt a pop in my left index finger and when I looked the vein was bulging from my finger down my hand into my palm. There was a blue vein bubble "thing"  in the first joint, it swelled right away and then went down fairly quickly (one hour) and I am left with a bruise and stiffness. Have to say I paniced and called my Doc. The nurse had never heard of it but just said to ice it and keep an eye on it. Worried it will happend again or there is an underlying cause :-(  
I just want to add one more to the list! Found this last time it happened (a couple of months ago?), but it happened again today, and with a bigger swelling than ever before. Probably because I've been on ibuprofen for 10 days now, after a small surgery. Doing the dishes is often when it happens, but it can be opening jars as well. I'm 42, slightly overweight, try to eat healthily and exercise, but I know I'm not great. I've had this for years now (cannot remember when it started), but I have the impression it's becoming more frequent.
I had a finger joint vein pop last night, light lifting, painful then swelling and blue bruised the next day... weird... I'm male 50 and fit... veggie too...
I'm a 37/f, on and off again vegan/vegetarian and have low blood pressure. Last night I noticed some veins on the inside of my left ring finger looked very dark. I got scared and took a closer look and noticed that a lot of the veins on the inside of my hands looked dark. Not bulging, just dark. My ring finger is still a bit achey today, but nothing has popped yet. A few months ago, I had my first popped finger vessel while cooking dinner. I hit my finger on the stove and it started stinging bad. I ran it under cold water and took my wedding ring off just in time because it immediately started swelling and then bruised very quickly. The bruise went away after a few days. I never had anything like that happen before so it really freaked me out at the time. I'm not sure if my current symptoms are an indication of another incidence on the horizon. I am currently incorporating meat into my diet because everytime anything health related happens to me I'm scolded and told, "It's because you don't eat meat!" I also get cold easily, especially my hands, and I have some mild leaky heart valves. I've been super stressed lately.
This just happened to me for the first time today and I found this site. I am slender, female , 62.
I have psoriatic arthritis and follow the blood type diet which has improved it immensely and so I am on no medications. Blood pressure is normal whenever I have had it tested. I was , also, diagnosed with Raynauds years ago, but the symptoms disappeared with the blood type diet. The cold hands disappeared then, too.

Raynauds , psoriasis, fibromyalgia  are all under the arthritis umbrella and are considered autoimmune problems.

So why this one time finger popping thing? The only thing I did differently today was eat (deliberately) a lot of things with iodine in them, Himalayan pink sea salt, 2 soft boiled eggs and cranberries.
Don't know if that's why but I will monitor it. I, also, have cysts n hands and inside elbow. I was increasing iodine to see if it would help them clear.
Alright, folks. Lets diagnose ourselves by finding out what we all have in common. It doesn't seem like this vessel popping has to do with age (I'm 27) as the age ranges of everyone who has commented varies greatly. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with sex (I'm female) as there are a fair number of men and women. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with medication as there are some people who are on meds and others who are not. I have two questions. Number 1: do any of you have low blood pressure or lowish blood pressure? I've read a few comments where people stated that they have low blood pressure and I, myself, have always been at the very lowest end of the normal range. I actually had a doctor ask me if I was sleeping one time. Number 2: do any of you have iron deficiencies or some other red meat related deficiency? It seems like a lot of people on here are vegetarians, and while I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat nearly as much red meat as I should. My counts are always kind of off. Any thoughts?
I recently started using Himalayan pink salt as well.. And I have many auto immune conditions.
nope, BP normal, evem though I am on the heavy side, no iron or red meat deficiencies.  I suspect some kind of hormonal link as it was so bad in perimenopause and now I am 65 it hardly happens at all (touch wood) I have no circulatory or auto immune isses either.

I am not vegetarian but don't eat much meat. I do have low-ish blood pressure. My Mom had varicose veins and I am thin so mine are visible and bother me in the heat with swelling and feeling uncomfortable. I did finally go to my doctor a week after my finger popped and she came to the conclusion she thinks it is achenbach syndrome - I was told when I called back a few days later.

I didn't go solely b/c of the finer thing but because my veins on the same arm were swelling and my arm felt numb and tingly. I had taken a photo of my finger and showed it to her since it was gone by the time I went in. She had clearly never seen or heard of it before. No problems since though! Hopefully never again since it is disturbing. Good luck everyone.  
I have the same symptoms/results as you do. It only happens in my fingers or toes and it can be any time of year. I 'm glad to have come across your post. I will look into Raynaud's disease. I have experienced this within the past 2-3 years. It only happens occasionally. I had changed my eating habit and have been eating vegetarian for the past 3 weeks but then had my blood vessel pop again.
I'm curious.....does anyone else take a birth control pill or other birth control method? I had stopped taking it for about a year and had no problems with blood vessels but then was put back on it and now I have the problem again.
Thanks to advise,
Jen
Please or to view.
I just had this happen to me the first time today. I am a pescaterian and have has issues with lightheadedness for years that they have ve never been able to diagnose. I also have lowish blood pressure. I am not on any medications, but I do take quite a few vitamins. Has anyone gotten a diagnosis?
My doctor has been referring to it as a phenomena...
Look up Achenbach's Syndrome ☺
I'm 47, slim (163 cm and 50kg) and have low blood pressure. I'm active and have no diseases or medical conditions. I've had this popping and bruising on my fingers and toes in the past 5-7 years. I don't know what causes it, but I wanted to share with you what solves it for me:

I live in scandinavia and suffer from dry skin in the winter. A couple of years ago, I started eating olive oil (a friend's recommendation to remedy dry skin). I eat one tblspoon every morning and one every evening and the oil does wonders for my skin. BUT what I've also noticed is that when I eat my olive oil regularly, the popping of vessels disappears! If I skip/forget the oil a week or two, the popping of vessels comes back.

The oil I eat is ecological, cold-pressed, unfiltered virgin olive oil and it's rather expensive, but I haven't bothered testing a cheaper version. It would probably work equally well if you add it to your food, but I'm a scientist and like to measure and record varaibles ;-)

Let me know if this helps you!
My finger popped three months ago and I have olive oil on my toast every morning?
Please or to view.
Hi there, I recently had burst blood vessels in my finger, as described by many people in this thread. Having just read accounts on another website I thought it worth mentioning here that I regularly juice root ginger and turmeric root and potentially these can affect the blood. I therefore wondered whether other people who have posted here also take ginger and/or turmeric supplements. Here's a link to the post that highlighted this possible connection. http://www.****************.***/read.php?9,205251
I have had about three incidents of the blue bubble bursting phenomena happen in a finger joint on the palm side just like everyone else in this thread. I'd say this was over the last 2 years...so not very frequent but scary and painful when it happens. Never seems like there was a cause from impact or stress. Just spontaneously happens and  last night i had one in my left pinkie and it is still purple this morning. I do indeed take turmeric supplements, I am indeed a vegetarian, I am female, I am 54 years old. I do have loose connective tissue and have had 5 shoulder dislocations. I do think this thread should be sent to Dr. Oz. I tend to think that undiagnosed conditions can often be environmental. So many of us have things in common -- it really should be studied.
I drink ginger tea very often, probably daily during winter months.  Rarely take turmeric, but not often enough for it to be a culprit.  
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I should also add that my normal body temp is 97.6. At 98.6 I'm feeling sick. That is the normal temp for most people.
This answers it and we can all relax. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22915534
Please or to view.
Like many of you that responded, I too have had this on going problem for about 15 years. I am 56, 143Ibs, always been in decent shape, female but I have had high blood pressure for about 10 years now. I didn't read any that had high blood pressure. Most have normal or low. I too have been to the doctors, was tested for arthritis but that came back negative. Doctors don't seem to care. I started out with my fingers popping every once in a while. Thought it was from all the yard work I use to do. I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years. For the last 2 years It has also been happening in my feet, especially after I take a long walk or go for a jog/run. It can happen without doing either too. Its always on the bottom of my right foot, just below the top part of the foot, in the middle. Its tender & I can feel a small ball & its blue. I can't rub it as it hurts to touch it. I'm so aggravated with this. My plan is to go to my new primary physician & hopefully he will give me a referral to see a cardiologist. Will update when I have some info.
I have hypertension apparently. I have just been told I have Diabetes.
I am relieved to find this post. I am overall healthy, overweight, always had normal BP's, and labs.  Since turning 40, Im now 42, I've had to have partial hysterectomy for pre-cancer, gastritis, GERD and mild fatty liver.  

Anyway, I had grapped an Espresso drink and headed out I to run errands. I went to grab a shopping cart and noticed my thumb felt numb and awkward. I then went to grab something off the shelf and my grasp was a little weak in my thumb?  It felt very strange and thought it was neurological/pinched nerve?  When I got home, my thumb looked bruised but was not painful?  The bruising went away 24 hours later and I have a small white bump on my  thumb joint?  This is very concerning  after googling symptoms? I'm thinking & really hoping its a popped blood vessel? Everything points to vascular?  I'm a worrier unfortunately and my husband told me to wait & see if it happens again before running to the doctor?  But I have an upcoming appt to get checked out in a few days.  I  truly feel this might be a random occurrence with no underlying issues?  I read on here that it might be related to caffeine, but I drink it everyday?
I have just started to have this happen. Twice in one week in a finger on my right hand and then my left thumb. It's always at the joint and isn't painful but I can't bend the finger when it happens. I can't find anything concrete on the web so will ask my doctor.
Sorry don't know where all the strange characters came from in my earlier post
I've had this problem for like 7 years. I believe it's Achenbach Syndrome. I wish I could include pictures but this format won't allow it. Google Achenbach Syndrome! Not even sure if/how to combat this. I'm a 43 year old female who is very active. I am a marathon and ultra marathon runner and I Kickboxing, cycle and do yoga. I also eat well. H
I have just had this, today.
I'm 40, female, I have Diabetes and Asthma, possibly Autistic, with possible Ehlers Danlos syndrome and an auto immune scalp condition. I'm overweight, I also have Ovarian Endometriosis. Never had this before to my knowledge, thought it was a blood clot at first. I was really cold today, it has been very cold in the UK.. And it was earlier, when my hand was cold, that it happened.. Luckily I've now got heating. Just today as well. But I was freezing this morning, and experienced a stinging pain in the joint of my left ring finger. Then noticed it was bright pink with blueness around the joint where the stinging occurred..
I have just had this, today.
Just wanted to add, that I am also a meat eater, not greatly healthy. Though I don't have a car and walk and bus most places. I don't think it's related to being healthy or a vegetarian, but is a vascular or vein issue related to Raynauds or the Achenbach Syndrome. There's also a type of Elhers Danlos Syndrome related to the vascular system. And I do believe that it is an auto immune issue.
Might as well add my observations to the mix.  In my case the broken blood vessels are always on the inner part of my fingers, between the metacarpophalangeal  and  proximal interphalangeal joints, and invariably result from a "minor trauma".  Really, really, minor, like putting some force on a wrench or even opening a door with a ring on that hand.   I am male, in my late 50s, thin, have a body temperature typically about 1 to 1/2 degree F below normal, and blood pressure on the low end of normal.  No other bleeding related symptoms.  I first started breaking vessels in my early 30's.  

My working hypothesis is that it results from pinching small blood vessels between an external hard object and the bone.  There isn't much "meat" on my hand to cushion these sorts of forces.   These injuries have never been on my feet, on the backs of my hands or the palms, or on my thumbs or pinkies. I think those appendages are spared because the thumb has some meat on it which provides enough padding, and I never apply force with a pinky.  I do not have the symptoms described for Raynoud's disease.  There is a delay of several seconds to several minutes between the event and noticing the injury, depending probably on the size of the blood vessel and the extent of its injury.  (It may be that some of the "I wasn't doing anything" events people report are similarly several minutes after the actual injury.)

When this happens if I immediately elevate the injured hand for about half an hour it greatly reduces the symptoms.   Much less bruising, swelling, and pain.  After one of these injuries it usually takes about 2-3 days for the bruise to go away.  A bad one might take a week.
I have bulging cervical disks at 3-4 and 5-6 and am not overweight, otherwise healthy. My left index finger was swollen and purple when i woke up one morning. I recall that my left hand had some numbness during the night from my neck angle, but it was gone when i woke.I  feel certain there is a relationship between the strain of the nerves in my neck getting pinched and the Achenbach but nobody mentions any cervical or neck issues in this forum.  Has anyone experienced this? After checking bloodwork, which is fine, and noting that it improved a little each day, I decided to wait it out. At day 4 while sitting at my desk during work, it happened again and instantly turned purple and swelled. Worse than the first one. no trauma here either. First it tingled then it was like a faucet turned on in my index finger.
For statistical purposes. 43 yr old female very active and in good health. Diet consists of mostly veggies. Blood pressure is usually normal, but not sure what it is when the vessels bursts. Happens mostly on my thumb and yesterday on my  right index finger for the first time. Have noticed it happens when I am pushing something or exerting myself. Doesn't seem to be that rare of a syndrome by this post. Lol.
34F who, like most others on this forum, exercises regularly, is in good shape, eats a relatively healthy diet, and I’ve been experiencing the same symptoms: random rupture of blood vessels of my fingers causing swelling and bruising. After reading many posts in this thread, there seems to be a trend that relates this phenomenon to Raynauds (which I also have). And in doing some more research, sounds like this is known as Achenbach Syndrome, which is benign and unrelated to any other vascular disorder/disease. I hope this eases others’ worries, as it has done mine.
Interesting.  I don't have that but do get this finger issue occasionally.  Thanks for sharing this though as that should help many out there!