Can you catch an illness from swallowing a mosquito/mosquito blood?

Tonight I had a coworker of mine get me some iced coffee cause I needed a bit of an energy boost. As I was drinking the coffee, I noticed a red stain on the inside of my cup, which I had mistaken it for the coffee itself. By the time I got to the ice, I noticed that there was a dead, smushed mosquito and there was a possibility that the blood may have been mixed in with my coffee while I was drinking it. I didn't swallow the bug, however I may have drank some of its blood that was mixed in with my coffee. I'm feeling incredibly nauseated at the moment and I'm not sure if it's due to my anxiety or the fact that I drank it, but I'm wondering if there's any risks of catching a mosquito-borne disease (malaria, dengue, Zika, etc.) by this? I cannot find anything about it online and I'm terrified that I might get ill from this. Any answers are much appreciated. :)
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't really think so but then again I'm not a expert! You might want to inform your doctor!
Helpful - 0
You can not unless the virus hot your bloodstream which is highly unlikely. But, your stomach acids should disolve the virus.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Zika Virus Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods