Zika Virus

Just found out I'm about 5 weeks pregnant and I'm extremely worried about getting the zika virus.. Are there any other mommies that are worried? What precautions are you taking?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've been worried about it, too.. My doctor told me to wear bug spray (she said the spray with DEET is fine, but they make an all natural one too) to cover up, and try to stay indoors while they're most active.. (I'm in Florida, so that's pretty much all the time) You can also look up natural bug repellant you can make at home, like with essential oils and other products that smell better than bug spray.
Helpful - 0
I'm currently in Rhode Island but there have been confirmed cases in Massachusetts. And soon I'll be going to Texas where there's also confirmed cases. Im probably just freaking out.  But I want to be as safe as possible.
Helpful - 0
I went on a cruise and was in "infected" areas. To test this, you can take a blood test to find antibodies your own body made, or you could get monthly ultrasounds focusing on your babies brain. If you haven't gotten sick and you have stayed in the states with no contact with anyone who has the virus you and your baby should be fine. If you're really worried you could take the blood test or ultrasounds.
I'm waiting on blood tests personally.
Helpful - 0
It depends on where you are. If you're in the states you shouldn't worry unless your you or partner travels to an affected area... Plus...there is a possibility that the virus isn't the only reason the high numbers of microcephaly has been occurring... There's other things that can cause it as well
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Zika Virus Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods