All Journal Entries Journals
Previous | Next

Birth Story

Mar 14, 2014 - 3 comments

March 20th 2013, 7:15a.m.

My husband and I wake up to a knock on the door, my husband gets up to see who it is. He opens up the door, but I am to tired to understand or hear what they are saying. When he closes the door and comes back to bed, I ask “who was at the door?”, He says “oh it was for the neighbors behind us.” So he crawls over me and we both fall back asleep. Suddenly I am waking up to this very weird feeling (the feeling of liquid starting to flow right out of me). I immediately wake up and try my hardest to make it to the bathroom which is only like 20 steps away from the bed. I make it to about half way and it just pours down my leg. I am shocked as to what is going on but yet there was excitement. I knew what was happening that very second. My first thought was MY WATER JUST BROKE. A grin starts to form on my face, and I hear a little giggle. As I am still standing in amniotic fluid I turn towards my husband (who is still sleeping) and say “well looks like you’re not going to work today”, I hear him mumble “uuurrrhhhhh”. With a slight giggle I say “my water just broke”. And as he rolls over with a pillow on his head he says “hmm” and goes back to bed. I slightly laugh and make my way to the bathroom while every step I take, more fluid comes out. I clean myself off as much as I can and then head back to our “bed room” (we lived in a studio at the time). I put on some clean sweats and grab my phone to start making phone calls. I call my mom first and tell her what had happened and it was around 8:50 a.m. After I get off the phone with her I start to put my makeup on and do my hair. My thought was “Since I am not having contractions right now I am going to take my sweet *** time to get ready.” Around 10:00 Rafa slowly starts to wake up. He looks at me with this look that says; your water broke and you are doing your hair and makeup? I get done with getting ready and I call my sister-in-law/doula and let her know what happened and told her I will probably be going into the hospital soon. Rafa makes breakfast for both of us, but I couldn’t really eat because I was full of excitement.  We leave around 10:30 a.m. to go pick up my mom and stop at Wal-mart (so I am not leaking everywhere). We arrive at St. Luke’s Boise at 11:20 a.m. and head to labor and delivery to be admitted. I am at 1 cm dilated and 60% effaced, I was having Braxton hick contractions and every 5 Braxton hick contraction would turn into a real contraction (which I could feel but it wasn’t hurting). They take a swap to see if the fluid was amniotic fluid and what do you know it was. So we go to my room that I will be delivering in and I try to get stuff going. I walk, bounce, squat, pressure points, anything you could think of to get my contractions closer. But nothing would work. So we walk to Winco and pick up some snacks for me to eat. And still nothing. An hour later we decide to walk to a coffee shop to get some coffee. And I can start to feel the contractions a little bit but they didn’t hurt but it would tighten up so bad that it would cause me to slow down in walking. Around 5:00 p.m. I get checked again and I am still at a 1cm but 70% effaced. So I made little progress. After more walking, bouncing, squatting, Jacuzzi, and seeing a car accident, I get checked again at 12:00 a.m.

March 21st 2013, 12:00 a.m.

Woohoo I am at 3cm and 100% effaced.  This is where it starts to get rough. My nurse comes in and tells me that at 3 a.m. my OB had ordered me to start on Antibiotics. SAY WHAT? I tell my nurse that I would like to speak with him because I wanted this birth to be no med or anything. My thought on this was that he just crossed the line by ordering me/ scheduling me to start antibiotics without my permission. So I sit in the hospital bed waiting to see my OB. My OB comes in 30 minutes later and lets me know that I will be put on antibiotics since my water had broke but there was no baby yet. He wanted to put me on antibiotics around 3:00 a.m. And it would have been 18 hours of my water being broke. I explained to him that I didn’t want to because there was no sign or chance of infection because I had only gotten 3 cervix checks since I had been there. And I told him that risk for infection is after 6 cervical checks. He explained to me about protocol and that he knows what he is doing and that he is looking out for the baby. He basically wanted to put me on unnecessary antibiotics for an infection I didn’t even have. I told him I know the risks and to give me the papers to sign because I DO NOT want the antibiotics. He said “No you do not know anything; I just got back from a mother that thought she knew what she was doing. She wanted to have a VBAC (Vaginal birth after c-section) but then she hemorrhaged all over me” as he lifted up his pants to show all of us his bloody socks. “So this will be on you, not me.”  I said “yes I do know the risks so give me the papers.” This upset me, the fact that he had the nerve to tell me I didn’t know what I was doing and I didn’t know anything, and when he compared me (normal pregnancy) to a VBAC women. As he was talking, the whole time he was leaving he would slowly walk out the door as he was speaking and when I would comment back he would walk back in. The thing is, it was his vacation time. He was going on “spring break.” I had no knowledge of him going on spring break until I was 34 weeks pregnant (the only time out of my whole pregnancy I saw him). He then left and the nurse brought me papers to sign. After that I needed to calm myself down so we went on a walk around the hospital. I couldn’t leave because it was dark and they told me I wasn’t allowed to go outside. We walked to the stair case and I climbed 10 flights of stairs to help the contractions come further along. It worked. Around 1:00 a.m. everyone was asleep, my sister-in-law, my husband, my friend and her sister, but my mom was awake with me. Around 3:00 a.m. is when my contractions started to bother me. They got uncomfortable so I couldn’t sleep. I got in the Jacuzzi to see if that would make me feel better. But it didn’t. It made my contractions stronger and more frequent. So I decided to get out. The contractions were bad enough that I couldn’t even walk through one. So they got more intense. Around 6:00 a.m. I decided it was time to get checked again. And sure enough I was at 6cm dilated. I was excited but I couldn’t show my excitement because my contractions were 3 minutes apart. I had been awake for a really long time so I was resting my eyes and body to get a little bit of sleep in, but every contraction would wake me up. This is when my sister-in-law woke up and started to help me relieve some of my pain. The best thing I did was to not tense up during a contraction because it made things worse. The time flew by next thing you know it was 9:00 in the morning. I was on my hospital bed on my hands and knees. I would get into what is called a child’s pose. And when a contraction would hit I would get up on my hands and knees and rock my hips back and forth and breathe in deeply. Every now and then I would feel my body starting to push. But I didn’t want to push with my contraction if it was to early because I didn’t want my body to get strained. I let the nurse and my doula know and they told me to not push to early. So I tried not to.  Everyone else started to slowly wake up. I asked for one more cervix check and she told me I was at 8cm. So the nurse grabbed another nurse and they started to set up the room. At 10:25 a.m. the on call doctor came in to introduce himself because my OB had left at 3:00 a.m. to go on spring break, and to watch me to see where I was at on my contractions. I did so well that he thought it would be another couple hours so he left, because there was another lady having a baby. I honestly have no recollection of what he said to me. Because he was talking to me as I was having a contraction. My thoughts were I don’t think this baby is going to wait a couple hours. So I started to talk to my sister-in-law about getting the mirror in the room so I could watch so the nurse lady went out to go get it. As she left I had another contraction and this time I pushed with it, I could no longer not push and when I pushed I felt her head enter my cervix. It didn’t hurt at all it felt good to push. But It was time. I immediately said “get the doctor, get the doctor, get the doctor” my mom came up to me and asked why I said “nope she is coming now” so my sister-in-law went to get the nurse lady to tell her. The nurse lady asked what was going on and I told her “I could feel her in my cervix” And then she pissed me off. Without my permission she stuck her hand up me and said “yup you’re right”. I thought in my head. Are you f***** kidding me. You seriously didn’t believe me and you just stuck your hand up me without consulting or even asking if you could F****** touch me! She then left to get the doctor. I couldn’t believe she had done that but I didn’t think hard on it because my daughter was coming. She came back in and told me that I needed to get on my back and I told her I didn’t want to and I wanted to deliver like this since I am already in this position. She told me I couldn’t and I said yes I can and my doula also said yes I can, But the nurse literally grabbed me by the arm am started to put me on my back. So instead of resisting her and possibly hurting my child I went with the flow slowly getting on my back. The doctor came in and got all set up. I was surprised as to how I didn’t have the urge to push anymore and I couldn’t feel any of my contractions. This was happening so fast. The doctor was ready and told me to push so I pushed, next thing you know my mom is telling me she has curly black hair. In my mind I was like OMG you can see her head already!!!! Next push she was crowing and the doctor told me to stop pushing so I could let my body stretch naturally. He then told me with this next push I need to grab behind my legs and pull them towards me. So I did and her head was out, and I didn’t even have to push and she turned and her whole body was out. I took one look at her and I started to cry. My husband, my mom, my sister-in-law, my friend and her sister, everyone was crying. My daughter was born March 21st 2013, 10:32 weighing at 5 pounds 13 ounces with the length of 18½ inches. Physically my hospital birth was easy but emotionally it was hard because I had persistent pushing at me to get this and to get that because I needed this and I needed that. I stood my ground though and I knew what I was doing.

Post a Comment
Avatar universal
by Ceceb4, Jun 30, 2015
How far along were you and did you tear?

5098230 tn?1430974779
by sabbylopez, Jun 30, 2015
Ii gave birth to my first at 38 weeks 6 days. They gave me one stitch but it could have healed on its own because a tear isn't considered a tear unless you need 6 or more stitches.

Avatar universal
by Ceceb4, Jul 01, 2015
Wow that's amazing! Thanks so much. You inspire me to go through with a natural birth.

Post a Comment