Oct 28, 2009
So, as some of you know, I am almost 26 weeks pregnant and we have been very fortunate to have been able to sell our house and move into a new one this weekend. Here's the situation with our cat...(we have two of them, we lost the third one to cancer last year at this time)
He is around 17-19 years old (we don't know the exact age as he was found). For the past year or so, he has been unable, or unwilling, to use the litter box for urinating. We have been using puppy training pads and putting them down where he seems to go the most often and that helps. For the past 6 months or so, he has been pooping outside the box as well. Every day he is throwing up a number of times, and typically, right after he throws up, he has to poop. (For the record, I don't think nor have I ever thought that his lack of use of the litter box was a behavior issue.) For a variety of reasons, in the past, we have decided not to seek medical care to treat his issues. My main belief being is that he was so old that it didn't seem right to do any costly and emotionally harming procedures (He has serious emotional issues and taking him in the car is enough to cause him to pee and poop on himself!). Also, he has had blood, at times, in both his pee and his poop. He also has a lump on his neck that has moved, but not really grown in size. However, for the last few weeks, he has been scratching at it and his jawline incessantly and now, seems to have a balance problem and will fall over while he's trying to scratch. He's always been an incredibly skinny cat, but he is still eating and seeking affection.
I have an emotional bond with this cat (My husband has it with the other one, but we love them both) and I think that I am too close to see what's for the best...
Taking him to the new house would be 1) VERY emotionally traumatic for him and 2) his lifestyle would have to change SIGNIFICANTLY (he'd have to be sectioned off and have an area that he could be in, but wouldn't be able to be just walking around with us like he does now)...we just can't afford to have to replace the new carpets if/when he would pee and poop on them. My husband believes that it is the right time to put him down, as his health hasn't suffered so much that it has affected his quality of life. But that if we wait, we could be putting him at risk of being in serious pain or suffering in the future. I have only had one experience with putting a loved pet down and it was the cat that we lost to cancer. I knew in my heart that it was the right thing to do, but we opted for a home visit from a QUACK of a doctor and the experience was so horrendous that I do not exaggerate when I say that I have been scarred for life from it!!!!
Please don't write telling me what we should have done in the past, as it is in the past and there's nothing that I can do to change that. But if you could tell me what you would do in this situation, I would appreciate it. I know that it is a personal decision, but I am the kind of person that benefits from knowing what others would do. I am just so concerned that I am not going to live with myself for doing this.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your feedback. We have an appointment scheduled for him for this evening and I am just really scared that I am not making the right decision.