All Journal Entries Journals

Update on My Aunt

Dec 26, 2009 - 14 comments

Well, the past few days have been something else, for sure.........As I posted in my journal the other day, my 90 yr old aunt fell backward into the bathtub and has a gash in her head, that required 3 staples and she has 3 compression fractures in her vertebrae.  The incident in itself was hard enough to get through, the past few days have really done a number on my stress level.

Of course, yesterday was Christmas and because I live an hour and 1/2 away from my aunt, I did not go to see her, but my husband and I had gone on Christmas Eve and exchanged gifts, etc.  Yesterday, I cooked Christmas dinner; planning to eat at 5:00 pm.  Cleaned house, and baked/cooked pretty much all day, but was feeling pretty good -- well, my daughter and her new husband (married in Sept) and their children (both from previous marriages) were among the guests.  Well, my daughter has this totally disgusting habit of being late for everything.........I'm actually surprised that she made it to her wedding on time, but I doubt she would have if there hadn't been others pushing her along.............Okay, you got it ---- they were late; so here I am with dinner all cooked and ready to put on the table -- getting colder by the minute and the other guests here ready to eat... Of course, my dau had a ton of excuses as to why they were late ---- really all she needs to do is get started a few minutes hard is THAT???  Oh, I should probably say here, that she gets this horrible trait from her grandmother --- my husband often talks about how they were ALWAYS late for church and had to walk down the aisle to their seat AFTER the service had started, with everyone watching them; or being late for ball practice, etc...........

Okay -- got through yesterday, slept fairly well, last night, got up this morning all chipper and ready to go help move my aunt from the hospital to the rehab center------- if only I'd have known how it was going to go, I might have chosen to stay in bed !!!  Anyway, I went straight to the hospital so I could be there when the doctor came in, then I'd know exactly what was going on, when she was being transferred, etc., THEN I would go to her house and do some things she's asked me to do, get things she will need, etc...........yep, I had it all planned and even hoped to be home around mid afternoon..........oh my, I'll never make that mistake again.........

I got to the hospital about 9:00 and the doctor had not been there yet, so I thought we were "good to go" -- doc would come soon, we'd get release orders  and MY plans would all work out........well, I guess for some reason that I don't know yet, God didn't like MY plans for today................

First off, the doctor didn't show up until around 1:00 this afternoon, but when he did, I thought things were going to fall into place.  He said that he was going to do the release order, which would be done in 5 minutes, the ambulance would be called to come pick up my aunt for the transfer, I would go to her house................not so.  

Shame on ME -- after the doctor left, I remembered that I was supposed to talk to him about some sores on my aunt's bottom that *I* thought looked like the beginnings of bed sores........So I had to wait for him to get done with the people he saw after my aunt, so I could catch him and get him back to look at the sores......well, he spent well over 30 minutes in that room and when he came out and I mentioned my aunts's sores, he said "I'll be right back" and took off........About 30 minutes later, I asked a nurse when the doctor was coming back and she said "he's not, he said he was going to get a nurse" --- well, THAT nurse was right there, why didn't he grab HER??  Anyway, she told me that *I* had misunderstood and that the doctor was NOT coming back.  I was beginning to get a bit upset, when here he came saying he'd had to do something else, but was there to look at the sores........I was right -- they are the beginnings of bed sores and the doctor said he'd order a special ointment for them because the skin was still intact and if we treat them NOW, we might prevent more problems.  THEN I found out that the nurse had seen them this morning and done/said nothing to anyone -------- how can this happen? Didn't she KNOW those were the beginnings of bed sores and would need treatment?  *I* have no medical training and I recognized what they were.  Or did she just not want to bother.  In my opinion, it's the aunt has had some really excellent nurses since Tues evening, but the ones she had today just acted like every thing they had to do, was just unnecessary "chores".......Whenever, we'd ask for something, we'd get the nose in the air, with the "eye roll" and a big sigh --- this was even when my aunt needed help getting off the commode or getting it emptied..She had to sit on the commode once for over 20 minutes after she was finished and the nurse was close by, seemingly not doing much.

Anyway, the doctor said he would order the ointment, fill out the paperwork and we would  have her out of there in no time.........Well, an hour and 1/2 later, no one had come to start prep for moving her, so I finally went to the nurse and asked when?  She said "oh, she's not going today"......I said "EXCUSE ME?".  She said "oh no, there's an issue with a prescription for narcotics (pain med) and the doctor won't be back until tomorrow morning, so she will be transferred tomorrow"........I nearly lost my cool --- WHY would they leave us sitting there for all that time without coming to tell us that?  I'll NEVER understand that one.......

Okay, so I decided that since we weren't going to move her, I'd go to her house and do the things she wanted me to do, pack up the things she would need in rehab, then come home; get up in the morning and make yet another trip  back tomorrow for the transfer........then I considered just spending the night at her house instead of all the driving, but alas, none of that would happen.......

I went out to get into my truck and it acted like it was going to start, then didn't............oh no -- here I am in a city I'm not real familiar with, a vehicle that won't start and my hubby an hour and 1/2 away........Hubby walked me through a couple of things that HE would do if he were there -- they didn't work.  Well, we do know my aunt's neighbors and the man is a mechanic ---- okay, I called them -- both of their cell phones, neither answered.  We have emergency roadside assistance on our insurance policy so I called them --- was on hold for over 20 minutes....Then hubby said "just forget it, I'm leaving home now and will be there in about 2 hours".........Oh my, after the day I've had, now I have to wait another 2 hours for help.......

While I was out there by my truck with the hood up, a young man -- by his name tag, he was a hospital employee -- came by and asked if I had trouble.  I explained and he said "the hospital has a way to help".  I said "how do I get help?".  He said "go the information desk, they will get someone".  So I did as he told me, but the lady at the desk said "NO, we don't do that" I went back outside to wait for hubby.  The young man came by again and asked if I'd inquired and I told him what the lady said.  He said "you must complain to administration because they have a portable charger and could have helped. She just chose not to"........

Well, there was a gentleman that I'd seen in the hallway different times throughout the day near my aunt's room.  I had gone inside the hospital one more time because the wind had picked up and it was getting cold.  I said a prayer, asking if help could come to me soon because I was tired and didn't feel well.  As I walked across the lobby, I saw this gentleman that I'd seen throughout the day, coming toward me.  He had heard some of the difficulties we'd had during the day, so he asked if my day was going better.  I then explained my CURRENT dilemma and as he asked questions, we were walking toward my vehicle.  I told him I even had jumper cables if I could find someone willing to help, but I didn't know if my cables were long enough because of the way I was parked, so I got them out and we looked.  *I* thought the cables would be too short.  *He* said, "I drive a gold chevrolet and it's parked over there (pointing); I'll go get it".  So he came back in a couple of a minutes and sure enough, the cable was just a tad too short.  We looked over the situation and decided that if he backed up and came at a different angle it might reach.......Yep, I prayed again.  Anyway, he got a different angle and a bit closer and YES, the cable "just" reached -- it was taut but it reached............As soon as I turned my key, the engine started and I just threw my hands in the air and cried "THANK YOU"...........I really was crying because I was SO grateful.  I asked the man if I could pay him and he refused.  I asked if there were something I could do for him.  He took out his wallet and as he handed me his card, he said "this is what I do for a living" then he began to get back into his car.........I looked at the card --- he's a senior pastor at a rather large church in the area...........Did God answer my prayer??? You bet, he did.......

So, as soon as my engine was running, the gentleman who helped me pulled away but he stayed in the parking lot until I'd pulled out.  Then I called my hubby to tell him I'd been rescued.  Of course, he was already on his way, but was only about 20 of the 70 miles he had to go, so he turned around and came back home.  *I* headed straight home -- could not chance going to my aunt's and not being able to get started again to come home.  Hubby told me to come home and he'd put a new battery in tomorrow.  I said "why can't I stop to get a new one on the way, Discount Auto installs them for free, then I'll be ready to go again in the morning?"  At first he said "no, HE wanted to do it" then he called me back and said I should go ahead and get one.........So -- I now have a new battery and pray that everything goes better tomorrow........

Oh, I have to mention -- as I was coming home, northbound, I noticed that the southbound traffic was backed up for approximately 5 miles -- if I had had to wait for my hubby to get there to help me, I would still be waiting...........

I know there was a reason my aunt was not moved today AND that my vehicle wouldn't start when I needed/wanted it to -- I just don't know yet what that reason was - maybe it saved MY life or maybe it saved my husband's life, maybe there's a reason that my aunt needed to stay in the hospital for another night. I don't know, but I thank God that we are all safe.  

I can say without a doubt that even though I've always been a "believer" -- today made my faith even stronger.  

I'm off to bed now, so I can get up and make the trip again tomorrow.  If it's meant to go well, it will.  

Post a Comment
748902 tn?1286034758
by elaine1961, Dec 27, 2009
As i was reading your Journal this poam came to mind

The Differance

I got up early one morning
and rushed right into the day;
I had so much to accomplish that
I didn’t have time to pray.  

Problems just tumbled about me,
and heavier came each task.
“Why doesn’t God help me?” I wondered.
He answered, “You didn’t ask.”

I wanted to see joy and beauty,
but the day toiled on, gray and bleak;
I wondered why God didn’t show me,
He said, “But you didn’t seek.”

I tried to come into God’s presence;
I used all my keys at the lock.
God gently and lovingly chided,
“My child, you didn’t knock.”

I woke up early this morning,
and paused before entering the day;
I had so much to accomplish that
I had to take time to pray.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow

483733 tn?1326798446
by TrudieC, Dec 27, 2009
Oh Barb, what an incredible day.  I can feel the frustration in your words.  Yes, God can work in very mysterious ways.  So glad it worked out well and that today finds you having a smoother time getting your aunt moved.

Hugs, Trudie

535822 tn?1443976780
by margypops, Dec 27, 2009
What a story Barb it reminds me of days I have had and avoid like the plague ' if I can...its lkike one evnt after another to test us isnt it,sounds like you came out of the test' with flying colors , will you let us know the next bit   I am hanging on to your every word, hoping all is smooth today ,Glad to hear you Aunt is recovering okay , its good she has you....Hugs Marg

649848 tn?1534633700
by Barb135, Dec 27, 2009
Elaine, that poem is SO true.  I was busy all day and perhaps if I *had* taken time to really pray, it might not have gone so badly.  I say it that way because I noted the beautiful trees, plants, birds, etc and thanked God for his "handy work" but I did not take time to say a REAL prayer.  

I tried not to sound so frustrated Trudie, but there was no way, I could keep from it.  I am one of those who can handle any situation --- I just need to know what I'm handling. Communication is SO important in a situation like that and my aunt's nurse was about "uncommunicating" as anyone I've ever seen.  I didn't like her yesterday and today, I liked her even less.

Margy -- those kinds of tests, I can live without, but apparently, God thinks they are necessary to put me in my place every now and then.  Hey -- I got THAT lesson very well.....

Today, went somewhat better, but was still lacking in communication.  Oh, how I hate that.  

I got ready to leave home this morning and my truck started just fine, but hubby wanted to check the radiator, which we'd had a problem with before and he decided that it still had a problem and that I should not drive it.  I have an old Blazer that still runs good, in spite of the fact that it looks like it went through a bout of cancer or something, so I had to switch everything from my pick up to the Blazer -- at least Ray had filled the Blazer with gas yesterday, when he was going to come get me............

I went straight to my aunt's house and worked there for nearly 3 hours, doing laundry, cleaning things up, watering plants, etc.  I got to the hospital just before noon and my aunt said the doctor had been there and said she COULD get transferred to rehab today.  I went in search of the nurse, who turned out to be the same one we had yesterday.  I couldn't find her, so I asked a couple other nurses who were in the hallway, if they could tell me when my aunt would be allowed to leave.  They said they didn't know, but would tell her nurse to come talk to me --- good thing I didn't wait for THAT to happen because she NEVER did come talk to me; in fact, she didn't even come into the room at all until my aunt had to go to the bathroom, just before we left the hospital....... I waited for the nurse for over an hour and when she didn't come, I asked the assistant nurse.  She said she'd tell the nurse to come talk to me, but again the nurse never came.  A short time later, I saw the assistant nurse again and asked if she'd heard anything and she said "no, but you can go to the desk and ask if Maria (the nurse) doesn't come" I went to the desk.  I was told that yes, she would be going today, but on the weekends, they only have one caseworker for the entire hospital and NO ONE gets to go home without seeing the caseworker.  Needless to say, my frustration was mounting more by the minute because still no one is really "COMMUNICATING" with me.  Later on, I heard one of the nurses that I had initially talked to, ask Maria (my aunt's nurse) if she had ever come to talk to me.  I didn't hear Maria's response but when she walked by my aunt's room a few minutes later, she looked in with a "smirk" on her face.  I'm not a violent person, but oh how I wanted to get up and wipe that smirk off her face.  

Finally, the caseworker called my cell -- she didn't know I was in the hospital and when she found out, she came right to my aunt's room.  She knew from our phone conversation that I was not a happy camper, so when she came in, she asked what was wrong, so I told her about the nurse and her refusal to communicate with us and let us know what was happening, specifically telling her about us having to wait for literally HOURS yesterday and no one telling us anything.  I said "I can handle anything or wait as long as need be, so long as I know what I'm handling or waiting for, but when only one person can tell me anything and SHE won't communicate with me, it makes me angry".  

Of course, the caseworker SAID she agreed with me, yada, yada, yada -- she really didn't have much choice but to agree with me......Anyway, she said she was going to get the paperwork done so *I* could transport my aunt to rehab.  I said "NO WAIT -- *I* can not transport her.  She has compression fractures in  her back and *I* am not trained to deal with that.  I could damage her beyond repair.  You need to get an ambulance to take her".  I had already told them this, but apparently, THAT information was not relayed from one person to the other.  Well, anyway, it took an hour and 1/2 before the ambulance came, then the slow pokey nurse had to complete all the paperwork --- it's stuff that I watched other nurses doing both yesterday and today and it took the others about 10 minutes; it took our nurse over 30.  I watched this nurse for 2 days and she was constantly in "slow motion" -- her attitude was kind of like "I'll do it when *I* want to, not just because you asked" and she acted like every request was just way too much to expect.  

Anyway, the paramedics got there and had to hang around for at least 30 minutes waiting for her to get finished.  It was about 3:30 when we finally left the hospital to make the trip to the rehab center, my aunt in the ambulance and me in my car.  

Once at the rehab center, things went pretty well.  The paramedics got my aunt all installed into her bed, then the nurse came in to talk to us and explain how things would work; then the CNA came in and I marked all my aunt's clothing and she (CNA) listed everything I had brought for her.  It took about an hour to get everything done and get her settled, then I headed home.  I made the 2 hr trip without incident tonight, but boy, am I ever tired.  I'm SO glad that I am on Christmas break from work and still have this coming week off.  

The nurse at the rehab center said they would spend tomorrow evaluating my aunt and getting her acclimated to the place, so I will leave well enough alone and let them deal with her.  She's very stubborn and when she hurts, she can be very abusive and refuses to do ANYTHING.  I mentioned that to the nurse and she simply said "we know how to deal with every kind of person there is" ----- I just let it go, because I know they deal with all kinds, but my aunt is going to be a challenge and they will need a lot of patience AND they are going to have to get tough with her because she is SO stubborn.  

With these compression fractures, she could have bone chips floating around and if she doesn't hold herself right or moves wrong, a chip could press against her spine and paralyze her.  I'm not into that very much, but that's what the doctor told us the first day.  They fitted my aunt with a back brace to wear and she's going to have to wear it whenever she's UP for *the rest of her life*, but SHE thinks she only has to wear it when she is in therapy and the rest of the time, she can have it off.  She is supposed to have it on every time she is out of bed -- whether she's sitting in a chair or going to the bathroom or anything --- for the rest of her life, not just while she's in rehab.........I got that, YOU got that -- I need to figure out how to make HER get that............

I will not go visit her tomorrow.  Like I said I'm on Christmas break from work (the 17th was my last day of work and I go back Jan 4).  The Sat after I got off work, some friends who are visiting from South Dakota, hubby and myself went to St Augustine, then the following Monday we went to a couple of flea markets.  My aunt fell on Tues, the 22nd and aside from Christmas Day, I've made the trip to be with her every day.  I know it might sound selfish, but since the rehab center is going to spend tomorrow getting her acclimated and settled in, *I* am going to do something FUN -- after all, I *am* using vacation time for this break, even though it IS mandatory.........Our "northern friends" and I are going to flea market again tomorrow.  

I will visit my aunt again on Tues......but I still feel kind of guilty because when I left this evening, she was okay when I said I wasn't coming tomorrow, but wanted to know exactly what time I would be there on Tues.....She spent all of her working years in government service and her life ran by the clock.  I did not give her a time because I know that when Tues rolls around, she will be watching for me and if I give her a time, I *have* to be there by that time.......She kept pressing me so I finally told her I'd be there "in the morning" --- that gives me anytime between when I wake up and noon....I love her so much, but I have to have time to do other things too.........please tell me I'm not totally horrible......

748902 tn?1286034758
by elaine1961, Dec 28, 2009
Dont feel guilty,I dont think your horrible at all, If we dont have time for ourselves we burn out, then we are no good to anyone. your Aunt will be fine, go enjoy yourself.

649848 tn?1534633700
by Barb135, Dec 28, 2009
Thank you -- you are such a sweet heart.......I'll be off in just a few minutes.  

1013194 tn?1296459481
by dawnangela, Dec 28, 2009
Oh Barb your not one bit horrible at all, look at all you have done for your Aunt...your actually amazing :)

657315 tn?1319491387
by twehner5, Dec 28, 2009
Oh, Barb!!!  We should ALL have a niece or 10 like you!!!  She will live if you get there at 12:01, too!  

I'm sorry that you've had this horrible time with that horrible nurse.  Believe you me...I *know* "Maria"!  I *know* Kissimmee!!!  Isn't the hospital in Kissimmee?  Yep, I know Maria alright.  You can't do anything about her, either!!!  I hope the rehab center is better - you mentioned that you're not certain that you're happy with Angie's choice of rehab...?  I pray that it's better than you think.  

Take care and please take a few more days to enjoy your northern friends while they here and while you're off need it now more than ever!          

OH, SO MANY HUGE HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

748902 tn?1286034758
by elaine1961, Dec 28, 2009
I saw this and thought of your Aunt

An Old Lady's Poem

When an old lady died in the geriatric ward of a small hospital near Dundee,
Scotland, it was felt that she had nothing left of any value.

Later, when the nurses were going through her meagre possessions, they found this poem.
Its quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital. One nurse took her copy to Ireland.
The old lady's sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas edition of the News Magazine of the North Ireland Association for Mental Health.
A slide presentation has also been made based on her simple, but eloquent, poem.
And this little old Scottish lady, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this "anonymous" poem winging across the Internet.
Goes to show that we all leave "SOME footprints in time".....

*An Old Lady's Poem*

What do you see, nurses, what do you see?
What are you thinking when you're looking at me?
A crabby old woman, not very wise,
Uncertain of habit, with faraway eyes?
Who dribbles her food and makes no reply
When you say in a loud voice, "I do wish you'd try!"
Who seems not to notice the things that you do,
And forever is losing a stocking or shoe.....

Who, resisting or not, lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding, the long day to fill....
Is that what you're thinking? Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse;
you're not looking at me!

I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of ten ... with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters, who love one another.
A young girl of sixteen, with wings on her feet,
Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet.
A bride soon at twenty -- my heart gives a leap,
Remembering the vows that I promised to keep.
At twenty-five now, I have young of my own,
Who need me to guide and a secure happy home.
A woman of thirty, my young now grown fast,
Bound to each other with ties that should last.
At forty, my young sons have grown and are gone,
But my man's beside me to see I don't mourn.
At fifty once more, babies play round my knee,
Again we know children, my loved one and me.
Dark days are upon me, my husband is dead;
I look at the future, I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing young of their own,
And I think of the years and the love that I've known.

I'm now an old woman ... and nature is cruel;
'Tis jest to make old age look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles, grace and vigor depart,
There is now a stone where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass a young girl still dwells,
And now and again my battered heart swells.
I remember the joys, I remember the pain,
And I'm loving and living life over again.
I think of the years ....all too few, gone too fast,
And accept the stark fact that nothing can last.

So open your eyes, nurses, open and see,
Not a crabby old woman; look closer ...see ME!!

Remember this poem when you next meet an old person who you might
brush aside without looking at the young soul within ......
We will one day be there, too!

535822 tn?1443976780
by margypops, Dec 28, 2009
thank you that is wonderful , just took my breath away,

649848 tn?1534633700
by Barb135, Dec 28, 2009
Elaine, I've seen that poem many times; sometimes, it's in reference to an old man also.  I love the poem and every time I read it, I *do* think of my aunt because other than the fact that she and her husband had no children, the poem fits to a "T".  

Caring for my aunt has taught me a lot of patience over the past few years -- patience and toleration, because every where I go with her, I have to slow down and be patient, as she moves so slowly; toleration because she's old and doesn't always understand every thing the first time.  Whenever I see an elderly person, whether my aunt is with me or not, I simply MUST take time to let them go ahead of me and/or do whatever it takes to help them out.  I'm all too aware that there really IS a person in there who once was young and full of life; AND I remind myself that one day, *I* might be in that position and need someone's help ---  I'll not want someone pushing me aside, hurrying me along, being rude or impatient with me; I can't do it to someone else.  

I *did* go with my northern friends today.  We went to a flea market, got tired of that after about 3 hours or so, then we took off for Tampa -- we were already 1/2 way there.  We were looking for an outlet mall that had a Skecher's shoe store.  After a lot of missed turns, u-turns and laughing at our own silliness, we found a mall that my GPS *said* had a Skecher's store (my friend wants a certain kind of sneakers, called Shape-Ups), but we couldn't find it, so we thought the GPS didn't know what it was talking we drove a different direction, "accidentally" found another mall, which did NOT have the store were looking for.  Then Sharon - "northern friend" wanted Wendy's chili for lunch -- we didn't find Wendy's, but found Steak n Shake.  While there I asked a waitress about an outlet mall, person at the next table heard me ask and he "googled" it from his cell phone, gave me # for the store we wanted and I called, only to find out that it WAS in the first mall we'd gone to and my GPS was *not* wrong........Anyway, the girl I talked to at the store said they were on the second floor, so when we got to the mall, we went to the second floor, couldn't find the store, but we did find a directory -- turns out the girl didn't even know which floor she works on -- the store was on the first floor.  We found the store, only to be told that they don't have the size 11 that my friend needs.  

After that, we shopped in the mall for a bit longer then left, but Sharon's husband decided that he wanted to find an outlet mall -- we know there are some in Tampa, we just don't know WHERE and my GPS wouldn't bring them up.  I'll have to google it and print maps for another trip later on.  Anyway, we drove for miles and miles in the opposite direction of home -- I was afraid we were going to end up in Miami or something........LOL; anyway, it was getting late and *I* was nearly dead on my feet, well -- my butt, I guess -- so I suggested that we turn around and head for home.

I didn't get home until almost 6:00 and am SO tired, but SO happy that I spent the day doing something fun.  I was moving around, on the go, not just sitting in a hospital room -- waiting and waiting and not even know what I'm waiting FOR.......

I will make the trip back tomorrow to visit my aunt.  I hope that they made progress with her today, but it will take me a while tomorrow to find the people that I will need to consult with and find out what's going on.  Will be another long day and I won't be able to drive my pick up because hubby thinks there is now a radiator problem and doesn't want me to go that far with it -- that means transferring everything to the Blazer again.  

Oh, I hate when I can't trust my vehicle in a case like this and my hubby is SO dead set against getting a different one.  He thinks he should just fix and fix and fix.  GRRRRR.........

657315 tn?1319491387
by twehner5, Dec 28, 2009
Good for YOU, Barb!  It sounds like you guys had fun!  I'm so glad that your friends are down there, even though I know that you've missed out of some of the time you would have had with them - but the times you HAVE had are GOOD for you!

I hope that Angie has cooperated with the nursing staff at rehab and is getting acclimated to her new, if temporary, residence.  That's going to be your next hurdle it sounds like...

Will be checking for more.................................Take care.

Avatar universal
by PegRN, Jan 11, 2010
I'm sorry you had so much trouble with your aunt's nurses and doctor.  I am a critical care nurse in a very busy Med-Surg-Neuro-Trauma unit and it pains me when I hear how badly some patients and/or their families are treated.  Our main goal, except during immediate emergent care, is to keep the patient and families informed at all times.  Sometimes they are not happy about what we are telling them, but we always try to do so in a compassionate manner. Communications is the key.  Don't get me wrong, there are some days for us that overwhelming, but we really care. Most of the time we make a difference, but when we don't...believe me, we cry with the families too.

649848 tn?1534633700
by Barb135, Jan 12, 2010
PegRN - I know that for the most part, nurses and doctors DO care about the patients.  As in any profession, there are those that choose to be difficult and/or uncommunicative -- those are the ones who make if hard for everyone concerned, including those who ARE trying to keep patients and families informed.  Most of the people in the hospital were very nice and I could see they were trying to do their best --- it was just unfortunate that WE got some that copped an attitude and didn't give a hoot.  

Oh - to top it all off -------- on Sunday, the 2nd of Jan, I stopped at my aunt's house to pick up her mail.  There was a note from the mail carrier that s/he would deliver "the certified letter on Monday but you have to be here to sign".  Well, since my aunt is in rehab and *I* couldn't be there, I left a note in the mailbox for the carrier to take the letter next door to get a signature and then leave it there, which they did.......When I went to get it this past weekend, I found that it was from the hospital caseworker dept.  It was 2 copies of a medicare "rights" form that they wanted my aunt to sign and send back. The entire form centered around what will happen "upon your release from the hospital" --- it's obviously something they should have given her BEFORE she left the hospital, not waiting 2 weeks, then send it certified after THEY made the arrangements for her to go to rehab.................Now THAT is incompetence.................

Post a Comment