All Journal Entries Journals

Bloodwork is in...

Aug 19, 2008 - 4 comments





Epstein-Barr Virus



Only one test is still pending (Coxsackie virus).

Everything else was normal, except for two things:

Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV): positive, my level was > 5 (normal ranges: < 0.9 is good; = is 0.91 - 1.09, whatever this means...I guess it means you're on the edge of being negative/positive if your results are listed as "=")

Parvovirus: positive, my level was 3.2 (high, since the normal range is < 0.9)

I'm not really sure how to understand these the parvovirus is only supposed to last a week or so, and doesn't have terrible symptoms (joint problems can last a few weeks to months, though). The EBV everybody has, but in low quantities. If there's more of it, that's typically associated with mono...but not necessarily. I've ALWAYS tested negative for mono, both with the spot-test and a more accurate blood test (including in early May). I also haven't had a fever for any extended period of time, nor have I had a terrible sore throat (which over 90% of people infected with mono have).

I'm a little concerned because EBV is associated with a few other things, all of them serious. I did find an article that mentions sub-acute thyroiditis as a result of EBV (see: This would make sense for me, except for the fact that I still didn't get the terrible sore throat, and my RAIU results indicated an elevated uptake.

I'm so confused.....................where is the shaking coming from (tremoring)? Why is  my upper chest starting to become more pronounced (thymus swelling, I believe)? If my headaches just started getting bad in March...could that mean the pineal cyst in my brain isn't just a cyst, after all?

So many questions, and still no answers. :(

Post a Comment
487969 tn?1249313291
by mommy2two2008, Aug 19, 2008
When are you going to the doc to discuss the two positive tests??

458072 tn?1291415186
by peggy64, Aug 19, 2008
I sure do hope you can get some solid answers on this from your dr. Ask to be referred to specialist if you think that would help.

I am so sorry you are going through this. HOpefully you will get some answers and soon....

534785 tn?1329592208
by Jules77733, Aug 19, 2008
The doctor didn't call me today...I actually called the office wondering where the results were, and they had never been sent to their office (thanks, Quest). The nurse said she'd call the lab and figure out what happened to them, so I went back to work. A few hours later, she called back and said they got all the results in except for one, and I began asking what some of the values were. She told me the values I requested, but I think the doctor didn't have time to comment on them. Even if the doctor did look at them, I'll bet she's busy researching some information about my case before deciding how to proceed.

I'm hoping I hear from her (aka a nurse speaking on her behalf lol) today so I know if I'll be having a follow-up appointment or if I need to go to another specialist. I'm glad I didn't waste time at the rheumatologist, because I don't have rheumatoid arthritis; I just have arthritis associated with the parvovirus (from what I've read).

I have an appointment with a UPenn neurologist scheduled for September 30th...but I have to go back to school in order to have health insurance. This appointment seems so far away, and this is after I told them I'm having double-vision!!! Maybe I can ask my GP to call their office and push to get an earlier appointment...

It's driving me crazy that it's taking so long to figure out which came first--the chicken or the egg (by this I mean which disease(s) started this whole mess and how is everything interrelated). It was also just a rough day. I just couldn't feel like my usual peppy self, and then I thought I was going out for a drink with some coworkers and they left without bothering to tell me they decided not to go I sat around the office until 7:30pm waiting for people who never came. Then, realized my stupidity and commuted home (it's an hour drive :().

Thanks for caring; you two are wonderful. I feel like we're the "Breakfast Club", except we're the "Breaking Fast Club" hahahaha...hopefully we'll get fixed soon. I'm not giving up, because to give up would be to resign myself to a life of misery. It can only really go up from here, I think.

487969 tn?1249313291
by mommy2two2008, Aug 20, 2008
LOL Julia - Breaking Fast Club - I get it!  I still worry (without having done some solid research yet) about the parvovirus.  That was HORRIBLE for my dog, honestly.  Anyway, I feel sure your GP with continue to strive for answers and not give up.  She at least seems interested in the progression now which is a step up!  Let me know what she says!  ~K

Post a Comment