All Journal Entries Journals

Birth Story

Sep 26, 2010 - 5 comments

So I finally have a few minutes to type up my birth story.

Sunday Aug 29th I called L&D at 8am and was told that if I didn't hear from them by 5:30pm then to call them back. I didn't hear from them all day I was so bummed out and so impatient all day. I hate sitting around waiting on anything. We decided to go out to dinner and take all our bags with us then just go to BF's parents house if we hadn't heard from the hospital by the end of dinner.

5:30 came and I still hadn't heard from them so I called and was told to call back at 6:30pm. We went to BF's parents house and I got a phone call around 6:20 from L&D telling me to come in between 7-7:30pm.

I arrived at the hospital at 7pm and was taken straight to a room all set up for me.  The nurse said I was her only patient for the night. She started to get everything ready to place my IV since I was being induced. She was called out by another nurse and she had forgotten something she needed. This happened several times and it took almost 2.5 hours for  her to finally get my IV in just in time to have my blood drawn for lab work.

My OB showed up at 10:45pm to place the Cervidil. The nurse gave me some nubane for pain. I can't believe how painful it was placing the cervidil. The nurse said that my Dr was pretty rough when placing it but insured that it was placed in the right place and most the time it isn't placed high enough. They also ask him why he doesn't start at the door and take a running start. I was dilated to 1cm but still only about 50% effaced.  It was to be in for 12 hours and then I could start the Pitocin. We just relaxed and watched a movie on my laptop and tried to sleep a few hours. The bed was so uncomfortable I didn't get much sleep. They had a couch where one of the ends pulled out to make it longer for a bed for BF. He said it was very uncomfortable and he had a metal bar in his back all night so neither of us got much sleep.  

I woke up around 8am had breakfast and a shower. The Nurse removed the Cervidil at 11:40am and I was now 3cm dilated. They started the pitocin drip at that same time.

I was having pretty regular contractions from the start and I was having a lot of pain in my pubic bone so I asked for another dose of Nubane at 1:35pm.  I was able to handle the contractions they felt like period pains but the pressure was causing a lot of pain on my pubic bone. I asked for the epidural and it was placed at 2:45pm. I was checked at 3pm and was 6cm and 100% effaced baby was still high -2

At 4:25 the Dr came in to break my water. He said I had a lot of water it made a big mess. I'm so glad it didn't break at home. He said I was now 7cm.

About 5 mintues later the alarm went off on the heart monitor and the nurse came running in. Her heart rate dropped to 65bpm. She had me roll on my left side and it went up to 80bpm but not high enough. She had BF run and get another nurse and two more nurses came in. They had me get on my knees and elbows. Her heart rate went back up and they did an exam to make sure her cord wasn't being compressed. Another bag of water was broke. She said I must have had two bags because it was a lot of water the second time. They had me lay on my back at 4:35 so they could attach a scalp electrode to monitor the baby's heart rate better. It took 3 tries to get it attached because Kaelynn had so much hair.

Several times the alarm went off and several nurses came running in and jiggling my belly around having me switch positions and checking to see if I was fully dilated yet. They started asking me questions and getting me preped for a c-section. It was pretty scary. They joked around and was calling Kaelynn a Diva demanding so much attention before she was even here.

At 7:15 they checked me again and I was complete at a +1 station. I started to push and only 27 minutes later at 7:59pm Kaelynn was born. She wasn't breathing she had her cord wrapped around her neck twice. They rushed her to the warmer and started to work on her they suctioned and bagged her. I was freaking out and my Dr kept telling me she was fine. It seemed like an eternity but then she started to cry. It was almost an hour before I got to hold my baby girl. Bf did take a few pictures so that I could see her.

When I heard her cry I started to cry knowing she was ok.

Post a Comment
800427 tn?1324945719
by Sunkissed19, Sep 26, 2010
Omg, the end of this got really poor thing that must have been so heart wrenching! Im so glad everything turned out fine and that she's okay! What a little Diva she was being! giving poor mommy a heart attack like that! That's cute that she had so much hair that they couldnt get the monitor attached (well its cute but not cute..u know what i mean lol) she does have lots of gorgeous hair! she's so cute! I bet your so glad to be enjoying your sweet little girl...congratulations...great story! you were so brave and did an awesome job!

202436 tn?1326474333
by LosingMyMindInGA, Sep 26, 2010
OH wow, that's an amazing story. I, too, was born with the cord around my neck twice.  It's pretty scarey but I'm so glad all was ok.  All the pain and discomfort is all worth it in the end when you first get to hold your brand new baby in your arms :)

492921 tn?1321289896
by Brittny27, Sep 26, 2010
Forgot to mention that I had 3 tears that required stitches. It took three weeks for the pain to go away.

I had so much swelling that I had to have the cathider put back in for 24 hours till the swelling went down some.

My nurse was amazing during my labor but right before I started to push I got a new nurse and she wasn't so great. Kaelynn wouldn't eat and I asked about a pump and she said "there wasn't any point in using a pump" When I seen the lactation consultant the next morning she was upset that the nurse didn't get me the pump after 6 hours of no nursing I was suppose to start pumping.

179530 tn?1368936603
by mature_enough, Oct 28, 2011
Your birth story is amazing. My eyes filled with tears when your baby was pulled away from you. My best friend just had a baby that was born not breathing. When they pulled her baby out of her arms I've never seen such a lost face, she didn't cry until she saw her baby crying. You sound like a wonderful mother. I hope you get baby #2 soon.Good luck sister.

179530 tn?1368936603
by mature_enough, Oct 28, 2011
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that about the nurse telling you there was no point to start pumping. Erg! Were you able to BF at all after that point w/ the LC's help?

Post a Comment