All Journal Entries Journals

Update on Auntie

Sep 27, 2011 - 5 comments

Here we are a week after Auntie's hip fracture/replacement surgery, and we finally got her moved into a rehab center today, after thinking she'd be taken daily since last Friday.  I couldn't get anyone to even tell me why she wasn't being moved until yesterday; I finally found a nurse "willing to talk" -- yes, I am Auntie's health care surrogate AND her POA, but for some reason, they thought I "didn't need to know".

Anyway, this wonderful nurse finally told me that the reason Auntie had not been transferred was because they'd noticed that every morning, when they took her blood pressure, it was sky high (something like 180-210/90-110), and they had to keep her until she was stabilized.  They gave her a new blood pressure med last night, in addition to the 2 bp meds she takes in the morning to see if that would help.

Of course, they change nurses, like we all change underwear, so you never get to talk to the same one twice, unless the conversations can take place within no more than an hour of each other.  The nurse I talked to this morning said that, again this morning, Auntie's bp was 200/100, so once more, her transfer goes up for grabs.  They had it scheduled for 1:00 this afternoon, "just in case", but it hinged on the bp reading, just prior to the move.  

The nurse promised that she'd call to let me know when/if the transfer took place, so I'd know whether to go visit Auntie at the hospital or the rehab center, when I got off work.  1:00 came and went and no phone call, so I figured the transfer got scrapped; but lo and behold --- she called me about 1:30 and said Auntie's bp had come down nicely (it always has after her morning med) and she had been transferred.  

After work, I came home and picked up hubby and we went to visit Auntie, take her some clothes, etc and help get her settled in.  Just as I was getting ready to take care of the paperwork for her admission, a physical therapist came to Auntie's room to introduce herself and maybe get started with an assessment.  I was talking with nurses, when the physical therapist went into the room, so my husband brought her out to me, because he felt like I needed to be there when she did her assessment (good job, hubby).  I told her I had to get the "important" (aka financial) stuff done, but would be right back; she was good with that; said she'd come back in a few minutes, which gave me time to do what I needed to do.

We met up a short time later in the hallway and went together to Auntie's room. I have to say -- this little gal is the most refreshing thing I've run across all week. Auntie is one of the most incredibly stubborn people I've ever run across (her whole family agrees that she got "mega doses" of the stubbornness), so my husband and I explained some "facts" to the PT and by the time this "assessment" was over, Auntie had actually sat up (which she'd been determined not to do);  gotten to the side of the bed (which she'd been determined not to do); stood up (which she'd been determined not to do); took a step (which she'd been determined not to do), then had to stand up again (which she'd been determined not to do).  I think it will be a race to see who's the most tenacious....... Auntie or the PT....... Right now, I'm not going to speculate, because I think they will give each other a good run for their money.

At any rate, Auntie is now installed in rehab and I thank God that we found a nice place, just down the road from our house, so it's close and easy to get to. That means I, or my husband, can bop in for a few minutes "whenever"...... without having to carve out huge amounts of time for travel.  

This is one more hurdle we've gotten over; we know there are a lot more to go, for now, Auntie is safe and I know she will be in the same place for a while, so I won't be on pins and needles waiting for her to be moved, wondering if the information will be relayed to me, etc.  From here on out, we take each hurdle, in its own time.  I'm hoping that I will sleep peacefully, again, for at least a while - until it's time to jump the next hurdle....  

As hard as the past 3 months have been, I'm SO thankful that we had Auntie here with us when she "tumbled", so we could get her into a hospital and rehab center that are close by, rather than having to drive the hour and 1/2 to get to the facilities in her own area.  

One day at a time......

Post a Comment
657315 tn?1319491387
by twehner5, Oct 01, 2011
YAY, Barb.  I haven't logged onto MH in almost a week.  I came to see if there was an update on your Aunt.  As trite as it may sound, things do happen for a reason.  Your bringing your aunt to live with you turned out to be such a life saver for her with this fall and a HUGE time saver for you with this current situation.  

YAY, too, on your 6 day count down!  I work 6 more days till I have my surgery, lol.  I like your count down better but I will be happy to get it done.  I will respond to your message later....migraine at the moment :(

377493 tn?1356502149
by adgal, Oct 01, 2011
I'm glad to hear that things are moving as smoothly as they are and that your Aunt is doing fairly well.  She is so fortunate to have you in her life.  What a relief to have her in a good place where she will be well cared for during her recovery.

649848 tn?1534633700
by Barb135, Oct 02, 2011
Twehner - sorry to hear about your migraine - get that thyroid checked again, for sure - migraines can be a symptom!!  

Adgal - I am so thankful to have Auntie in a good place, nearby.  

The latest is that Auntie doesn't want to do her therapy.  If she had it her way, she'd stay in bed and have someone to wait on her all the time. Fortunately, that's not an option.  We go one day at a time - actually, more like one second at a time, because now, I realize how quickly things can happen.  Nothing is guaranteed.


15439126 tn?1444443163
by ScalpMassager, Oct 11, 2015
There's only so much you can do.  You might place a standing order that you be notified/updated whenever her meds are changed.  I had a POA on my dad, was a multiple times a week visitor to his rest home so the staff knew me Very well, and I lost him due to an obvious after the fact med prescription choice addition by his doctor.  There had been excellent odds of my catching it if I'd been in the loop or even if the staff remarked on it during one of my visits.

649848 tn?1534633700
by Barb135, Oct 11, 2015

This is a really old journal from 2011 and I didn't ever update it... Sad to say that my dear Auntie passed away, in 2012, about a year after I posted this.  

We had ended up moving her to a different facility, because of lack of cooperation on the part of the staff at the rehab center.  She was rehabed into assisted living, but because she had breast cancer, along with dementia and other health issue, there was not a lot that could be done for her... She was 93 when she passed away...  

The anniversary of her death will be a week from today...

Post a Comment