Sudden onset of Acne

For the past year I have been getting acne on my face and scalp.  This started at age 48.  No other significant changes in my health.  I went to the dermatologist and he diagnosed it as Rosecia and prescribed doxycycline and Noritate cream.  This has not really helped solve the problem.  Questions are what sudden acne on-set later in life?  and what would be the best recommended treatment?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there,

Acne Rosacea is different to acne vulgaris. Acne Vulgaris is caused by the hormone androgen (male hormone in men and women) when acne occurs this is due to an over production of androgens or the person havning sensitivity to the hormones, this then causes an over production of sebum (oil) in the skin which then bacteria then feed on.

However,

Acne Rosacea does not occur in the same way, and it does actually occur in people around middle age. The symptoms:

• Frequent flushing of the face, similar to blushing. This is often the first symptom and may be the only symptom for months or years before anything else develops.
• Redness (erythema) of parts of the face. This can look similar to sunburn.
• Small lumpy red spots (papules) and small cysts (pustules) on the face. The spots and cysts look similar to acne. These may 'come and go' in some cases, but remain long-term unless treated in others.
• Telangiectasia on the face. These are tiny blood vessels under the skin which you can see and can become quite prominent on the face.

So as for your first question... acne rosacea is not the same as other acne, and the usual age that symptoms appear is in your 30s-50s. Rarely, rosacea can affect children. Women are more commonly affected than men.

This website: http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068815/

says this:

Certain antibiotics are the usual treatment. They usually work well, but it is not clear why they work as there is no proven bacteria (germ) that causes rosacea. Some antibiotics reduce inflammation in the skin as well as killing bacteria and this may be why they work for rosacea. A topical (rub on) antibiotic called metronidazole is the common treatment if you have just a few small spots. If you have many spots or cysts then antibiotic tablets such as a tetracycline or erythromycin may be used.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but at least you know it isnt the same as teenage acne, and that rosacea is more common in your age group. I wonder if it has any link to hormonal changes to do with the menopause.. not saying that you have encountered that yet, but may be that you may begin in the near future, (i'm not saying there is any truth in this, i just wonder)

Take a look at that website link i gave you, it has a lot of info.
Also I don't know how long you have been taking your antibiotics, but normally when antibiotics are taken for acne it can take 6-8 weeks for good results.

Hope you find the right treatment and that it improves for you soon.
Best Wishes x
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply and information.  I will look at the web site.  I was concerned about long term dosing of antibiotics for this condition since it is not debilitating.
BTW I will not be going thru menopause unless there is such a thing as male menopause
Helpful - 0
haha thats a good point, i'm so sorry, i don't know why i assumed you were female. Please fogive me :-/
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions