Arthritis Forum

NUMBNESS IN TOES AND HEAL

I HAVE HAD AN ACHILLES TENDON REPAIRED BACK IN 1992. VERY SUCCESSFUL AND PAIN FREE WITH NO STIFFNESS.  ABLE TO SPRINT AND PLAY BASKETBALL PROBLEM FREE. MAY 22ND, 2006 I FELL PRETTY HARD CAUSING A CONTUSION RIGHT ON THE TENDON AS WELL AS TWISTING THE ANKLE.  XRAYS SHOW NO PARTIAL RUPTURE. ONE DAY LATER AFTER THE FALL I ALSO HAD LOW BACK PAIN FROM ATTEMPTING TO BREAK THE FALL BEFORE GOING DOWN TO THE GROUND.  ANKLE AND TENDON AREA'S WITH THERAPY IS HELPFUL, HOWEVER, I HAVE HAD CONSTANT NUMBNESS IN MY TOES OF THE LEFT FOOT AND MY HEAL AS WELL. NUMBNESS IS CONSTANT ALONG WITH A COLD FEELING IN MY FOOT. PHYSICAL THERAPY IS CONCERNED WITH THE NUMBNESS.  I AM NOT DIABETIC.  
COULD THIS NUMBNESS BE COMING FROM MY LOWER BACK?? COULD THERE BE NERVE AND VASCULAR DAMAGE AROUND THE ACHILLES AREA THAT IS CONTRIBUTING TO THIS NUMBNESS AND LOW FOOT TEMPERATURE?? WOULD A NEUROLOGIST BE MY NEXT STEP?  COULD I HAVE CAUSED PERMANENT DAMAGE BY RE-INJURING AND BRUSING AN AREA THAT WAS SUBJECT TO TENDON REPAIR BACK IN 1992!!  ANY RESPONE IS APPRECIATED.  
It may be possible that the prior injury may have led to the numbness, or that any back injury can contribute.  

Imaging the back with an MRI can determine whether a herniated disk is responsible.  

If negative, you can consider a neurology referral for possible EMG testing, looking for peripheral nerve damage.

If there is concern about a low foot temperature, you may want to ensure there is no vascular compromise.  Your personal physician can determine if the pulses in the foot are adequate.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
It can be SIJD too. Very common disorder but very poorly understood. Many doctors don't even believe such a disorder exists!
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches