Avatar universal

Should I go now or later (High ANA)

My ENT ordered an ANA. It came back speckled, 1:1280. His office phoned and said I should follow up with my PCP. I already have an appointment on the books for February. Can I wait until then or should I go now? I have no symptoms.

2 Responses
547368 tn?1440541785
Hi Joss,

Welcome to our Arthritis Community. I'm delighted that you found us and took the time to post. You've asked a good question. I think the correct answer is up to you.

Are you having any symptoms? Do you have discomfort? How about any swelling? These are all factors I would weight in my decision process. Are your joints painful?

The ANA speckled patter titer of 1:1280 means you are positive for antineuclear antibodies which means your body is making antibodies against the nucleus of is own cells of your body. Given your age, this can be indicative of arthritis. However there are other considerations and more labs that need to be run to determine the true meaning of the ANA results.

Some of those labs that may be done are:
Rheumatoid factor (RF) – Designed to detect and measure the level of an antibody that acts against the blood component gamma globulin, this test is often positive in people with rheumatoid arthritis.

Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) -- Also called anti-citrullinated protein antibodies (ACPA)

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate – Also called ESR or “SED rate,” this test measures how fast red blood cells cling together, fall and settle (like sediment) in the bottom of a glass tube over the course of an hour. The higher the SED rate, the greater the amount of inflammation. There are many conditions that can cause an elevated ESR, including an infection or anemia.

C-reactive Protein – This test, also called CRP, is another blood test that measures body-wide inflammation. It measures a substance produced by the liver that increases in the presence of inflammation.

These are just several labs that may be done. There are a few more - and they may not do these at all. Often one test can lead to another until they reach a diagnosis.

Should you go now? If it were me I would try to obtain an appointment sooner Feb - if for nothing more than peace of mind. Other members may have a different point of view - and that's okay. We are deal with things differently.

Please share with us your decision - and let us know how you are doing. I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

547368 tn?1440541785
Hey Josh,

Just wondering if my comments were helpful - and how you are doing.

Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Arthritis Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches