Aging with CP

I was born with left side spastic hemiplegia/hemiparesis. I wore a brace on my left left as a child, and my left hand never worked very well. But it is still very mild. Most people never knew. My speech, writing, thinking, walking were all close to normal. I never took typing or band in school. I became a special ed teacher,
As I age, I trip frequently especially when I'm tired, and it's harder to walk normal looking. I wear contact lens but the last few years shortly after getting a new prescription, my eyes are blurry. My speech has also become a problem, because my words jumble up and I have to repeat my self to say what I mean. My husband thinks I may have Parkinson's because my head and neck twitch sometimes. I went to the doctor cause I thought I might be having siezures.  The EEG came back normal, but the report from MRI brain scan said my brain has many more lesions than it should and looks like a brain with MS. Is it really possible to have CP and MS? I am being treated for FM and I am 60 years old.
Deeand

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Well, yes, multiple sclerosis and cerebral palsy can affect the same person, even if there is no connection between the two disorders, except that they are neurological in origin. So, while the CP lesions do not progress with age, the MS lesions are usually progressive. Fibromyalgia can also cause tiredness and this can worsen any lib affliction.
You need a detailed follow up to rule out or confirm MS. Also the possibility of peripheral neuropathy secondary to diabetes, lupus, thyroid disorders etc should be looked into.
Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Cerebral Palsy Community

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease