itchy arms = BRACHIORADIAL PRURITUS

all itchy arm sufferers....please look into brachioradial pruritus.  My arms, and only my arms, have itched for 10 years.  no rashes, no psiorias, excema etc.  The creams, allergery pills..my list is extensive as to what I have tried but nothing worked. ---------------The only thing that helps are ice packs. -----------------------
Recently,I had an x-ray to check if I had any nerve impingement in my cervical spine - one of the possible causes but nothing showed so I continue to search for answers.  I did get confirmation of the brachioradial pruritus from a great dermatologist who has only seen 3 cases in his 15 years on the job.  He did a biopsy that he sent to UC Davis for confirmation.  The diagnosis was actually a relief as I have been told that it is so many other things.  
I hope this helps.  I will keep posting if I find anything helpful solutions.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Has anyone tried eliminating sugar from their diet for at least 3 weeks?

Any other dietary attempts that have worked or not worked? Anyone met with a nutritionist? Even if a dietary change did work, I still don't understand why the itch would be seasonal (July thru December every year)??
Helpful - 0

Helpful - 0

Helpful - 0
I have been dealing with this since 2003 with increasing agony as time has went by. I am in the middle of all the tests now along with alot of medical bills. I am at the point of doing anything to get answers. Tonight I decided to search on-line and found this forum and could not believe what I was reading. It was as though I had written it all. I then proceeded to research brachioradial pruritis and am still in awe of what I have found. I have printed quite a bit of reading for my doctor on the next visit. I did rupture the C5 AND C6 in my neck and had to have surgery, this definitely has shined some light on my misery. Thank You all so much for taking the time to tell your stories because this has probably not only saved me more unnecessary expense but has brought me hope in a diagnosis.
Tylersmam
Helpful - 0
Hi! Wow, ladies, I'm glad to have found this thread, too. I'm 37 and have dealt with this itchy arm thing for at least 7-8 years. Of note---my oldest son is about to turn 8 this November.  Not sure if there's a correlation.  Also, I initially thought mine was seasonal, too, but I'm not sure it is. I used to live in Virginia and now live in San Diego...and it's bothered me year-round in both locations.  A few months ago I began to think it was wheat/gluten-related, but I can't seem to make sense of that, either. I think I'm going to check into chiropractic care to see if some neck/back manipulation will help.  I've found occasional relief w/ hydrocortizone, then vagisil, of all things, but neither of those works consistently. AAHHHH!  We've got to get this figured out! My husband and friends think I'm crazy!
Helpful - 0
I was also diagnosed with Brachioradial Pruritius.  My doctor prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg 3xdaily along with a twice daily application of Fluocinonide Cream 0.05% and the horrible itching went from a scale of 10 to around 1 or 2 within a few days.  It still itches a bit but it's nothing like the nightmare itching before I began the Gabapentin and Fluocinonide.  Please give it a try folks.  It has made a miracle difference in my life.  The low dosage of Gabapentin does not make me sleepy or dopy and once I am used to it I can increase the dosage if necessary.  This is one goofy ailment and hardly anyone has heard of it much less experienced it.  You have to be proactive with your doctor and say you want to try the Gabapentin and Fluocinonide.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community